Poinciana Mapped by Residents

May 29, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Ledger

POINCIANA, FL | Question: Who in the world is saying that Poinciana isn't on the map of Florida? Answer: If it were up to one very active senior and resident of Solivita -- which is one of Poinciana's many villages as they like to describe their neighborhoods -- it would be "no one in Florida."

This is what Keith Laytham believes is the future for the greater Poinciana area. Between him and a handful of community activists, the area is acquiring community amenities he claims had been promised decades ago. In this article, Michael Freeman of Freeline Media provides a glimpse into Poinciana's struggles with getting noticed at local, state, and federal levels.

For more information on having your articles syndicated on Topix Poinciana, register at Poinciana Digital Village, then write to Poinciana@Florida.USA.com.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Miguel ColonTellado

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

I think there's a big change in the Poinciana community.There are a few issues unresolved,yet but much positive change has begun. For example, homes are being ocupied by owners or renters but, you do not see all those overgrown yards anymore.Police is seen more often,ticketing the unconsious drivers.
I believe Poinciana is going to be the location,location,location of the future.
question

Laguna Niguel, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

My parent bought a acres land for four children 20 years ago. I have never been there before,but I checked google and new letter because want to know this area information more. Do you know population around this area and any important development in these year? Is any potentional in Poinciana?
Wendy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Poinciana has come a long way in the past couple of years. We are getting the amenities we need and both local governments (Polk and Osceola) are now listening to us. We have a long way to go yet and need to focus on development of the economic base ( the hospital is crucial to this), so that Poinciana is no longer just a 'bedroom' community that everyone leaves in the morning but a place where people live, work and play. The achievements to date have come about because people with vision and commitment to this community have come together with a cohesive voice, they are 'doers' not just 'sayers'. As the place with the highest growth rate (279%) in Central Florida as demonstrated in the census 2010 data we are certainly on the map!!
ZUBB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Before any further development/landscaping takes place, I wish we could just have a few more side walks. Preferably before another child gets injured!
eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I wish they would get some real shopping and entertainment out there fast there are no real restaurant and nothing to do it crazy to go see a movie you have to go all the way to the loop or eagle ridge just to do some thing let's get it together already

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

question wrote:
Do you know population around this area and any important development in these year? Is any potentional in Poinciana?
While the economy has had a definate impact on Poinciana, its community leaders are second to none. First the population of Poinciana is somewhere between 70 and 80,000 with about 20,000+ children in that figure.

The number one most important development is to include the upcoming hospital for the area. And, as for potential, Poinciana doesn't have potential; it has promise. It is a community growing in the right direction. Just look at the other comments here.

For more questions about Poinciana, go to: www.PoincianaDV.com ; www.PRFSC.org , or write to Darhlene@PoincianaDV.com.
Bob Tremblay

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I would like to see Poinciana get more entertainment venues,and a full service restaurant.
We are fortunate to have both Polk & Osceola County Sheriffs who give us great service compared to what we used to have,but I think the County Code enforcement depts should get off their fatt duffs,and spend more time enforcing the rules,that due to law,the APV cannot enforce
Debbie Conn

Summerfield, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I have lived in Poinciana since 2003 and like the community. My main gripe is that for a population of approx 70K, there are limited roadways (and numerous traffic lights) to navigate out of Poinciana toward Kissimmee/Orlando. The 16 mile drive to/from Kissimmee center can take almost an hour sometimes. Not only does this traffic logjam create road rage and accidents but is very wasteful of gasoline.
I wish we had had the opportunity to vote on Poinciana's incorporation. Unfortunately, those folks that were so vocal in arguing for and against during meetings w/ the politicians, squashed the vote. This left those of us less vocal but with opinions, unable to express our feelings during the voting process. I think, while there are many plusses and minuses to incorporation, the one big intangible plus is helping to put us on the map as a large town.
Aida Baez

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2011

Judged:

Ive been in poinciana for 20 years! It was sold to us as a dream. Homes look like the ghetto. Poinciana is beat up. Police are seen harrassing young children at 8pm. I know they shouldnt be outside without an adult in the 1st place, but all police arent good people and they make the kids scared instead of going after the parents. I cant wait to sell our home. Poinciana is not a good place. Lots of crime and too far from the city. If you live in polk county your children have to go to dundee fl or haines city schools. No high school for polk cty. only in haines city. No carpet grass,just weeds and sand.
Juan gonzalez

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2011

Judged:

I think the problem w poinciana starts and ends with the expressway... Poincy is just too far out there and no easy access. I live in e. Orl my kids in poinciana it takes me 1hr 40 mins each way for a 40 mile trip.. I believe once a expressway is built, poinciana will be more appealing to other folks, but I really like the peacefull setting that it offers I open the garage and sit there and its just so quiet compared to orlando....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••