Robin Schick was vocal about the future of Colonial Beach in the recent Planning Commission meeting.

Feb 20, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Westmoreland News

It was a unanimous vote to award a $17,000 contract to WhiteStone Partners by the Colonial Beach Town Council last week at its regular meeting.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

You are getting close so I'll put you in the church :)
The extra-regional water users withdraw 6-fold to 10-fold more water each day than the entire NN withdrawal. Furthermore, while growth and development in the NN can be characterized as minor, the Middle Peninsula of Virginia and Maryland (in particular) are anticipating significant growth. This will lead to further strain on the artesian aquifers
underlying the NN from extra-regional withdrawals. A concise statement regarding the current situation and difficulties associated with interjurisdictional regulation of finite resources is provided by NAPS (2003a):

“The fact that current usage of artesian water is not sustainable is an
uncontested fact. The solution(s) to problems of over-utilizing finite
resources are obviously difficult, and cross political boundaries. The time has come for regional planners to recognize that we cannot continue to “mine” our artesian water at the current rate. We must address this
difficult issue on appropriate time scales, certainly more than a few
decades. Ground water is a regional resource, not constrained by lines
humans draw on maps. Water law can be simply stated:‘First in time is
first in right.’ Maryland”[and by extension the Middle Peninsula]“is
doing nothing illegal in using the water first.”

There are short-term concerns for the NN regarding ground water withdrawal. When ground water is lowered in an aquifer, and therefore in a water supply well, the well must be telescoped and deepened, and the pump set lower in order to operate. At some point, one cannot “telescope” the well casing deeper due to the limitation of minimum casing size versus pump size. At this point, a costly new well will need to be drilled. As discussed in this WSP, unsustainable ground water pumping that affects (and will likely continue to affect) the NN is primarily occurring from extra-regional sources outside the jurisdictional boundaries of the NN.
PT TOM

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

wtcsret wrote:
You are getting close so I'll put you in the church :)
The extra-regional water users withdraw 6-fold to 10-fold more water each day than the entire NN withdrawal. Furthermore, while growth and development in the NN can be characterized as minor, the Middle Peninsula of Virginia and Maryland (in particular) are anticipating significant growth. This will lead to further strain on the artesian aquifers
underlying the NN from extra-regional withdrawals. A concise statement regarding the current situation and difficulties associated with interjurisdictional regulation of finite resources is provided by NAPS (2003a):
“The fact that current usage of artesian water is not sustainable is an
uncontested fact. The solution(s) to problems of over-utilizing finite
resources are obviously difficult, and cross political boundaries. The time has come for regional planners to recognize that we cannot continue to “mine” our artesian water at the current rate. We must address this
difficult issue on appropriate time scales, certainly more than a few
decades. Ground water is a regional resource, not constrained by lines
humans draw on maps. Water law can be simply stated:‘First in time is
first in right.’ Maryland”[and by extension the Middle Peninsula]“is
doing nothing illegal in using the water first.”
There are short-term concerns for the NN regarding ground water withdrawal. When ground water is lowered in an aquifer, and therefore in a water supply well, the well must be telescoped and deepened, and the pump set lower in order to operate. At some point, one cannot “telescope” the well casing deeper due to the limitation of minimum casing size versus pump size. At this point, a costly new well will need to be drilled. As discussed in this WSP, unsustainable ground water pumping that affects (and will likely continue to affect) the NN is primarily occurring from extra-regional sources outside the jurisdictional boundaries of the NN.
The beach is doing it"s part with unlimited water use?
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

All after smiley is quoted from your WSP. There is a limit somewhere and as you can read you have larger problems then well head security. That won't matter when intrusion strikes. Kick it down the road, let the "kids" worry about it. I don't know your Hispanic population or I would have included them :) Can you see the steeple yet :)

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/here_is_the_church.h...
Tim

Tappahannock, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

The power plant across the river added a exhast scrubber a few years back that draws a large amount of water and it is tapped into the same aquifer as Colonial beach.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

You need to RTL the problem, once recognized. It has been public knowledge for over 2 years (Jul 2010). I'm 477 south and 68 years old. It might be you need more age as my mother use to say :) I read it and saw the implications on the spot. It's run under the radar quite well. I don't know the sky is falling but I see a sag :)
I see the boat people can still mouse around :) You BP's don't go all myoptic on me :)
One more teaser for you :)

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5039/pdf/sir200...

Industrial and municipal groundwater withdrawals,
which began to increase during the 1940s, have resulted in a substantial decline of water levels in the Potomac aquifer and in the formation of two major cones of depression in Virginia
centered near Franklin and West Point. The maximum simulated drawdown near the top of the Potomac aquifer was 235 ft near Franklin and 232 ft near West Point by the year 2003.
As a result of these declines, regional groundwater flow velocities within the Potomac aquifer have changed substantially from
their predevelopment state and generally are directed toward either of the major withdrawal centers at Franklin or West Point. The water-level gradients near the Atlantic coast have reversed from their predevelopment direction, which has
increased the potential for landward transport of salty water toward production wells.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Randolph-Macon College Discussions

Search the Randolph-Macon College Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Jones: Progress, but also missteps (Oct '12) Oct '12 va_tazdad 6
The right choice? Margaret Ransone (Oct '11) Dec '11 voted for her 5
Poinciana Mapped by Residents (Jun '11) Jun '11 Juan gonzalez 10
Dominion chief to head McDonnella s higher-ed p... (May '10) May '10 true 1
Galapagos Birds Fight Alien Parasites (Jan '10) Jan '10 Zuri 1
Henrico County football coach, Danville native,... (May '09) May '09 Joe 1
•••
•••
•••