Driver pleads not guilty in fatal roa...

Driver pleads not guilty in fatal road-rage incident

There are 61 comments on the Newsday.com story from May 16, 2009, titled Driver pleads not guilty in fatal road-rage incident. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

A Queens College student pleaded not guilty Saturday to a second-degree manslaughter charge stemming from an alleged road-rage incident that left a driver dead in Long Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LB Local

Naples, FL

#1 May 16, 2009
GREAT ANYONE ONE SETTING UP A DEFENSE FUND??? COUNT ME IN POST THE ADDRESS.
SORRY TO SEE SOMEONE DIE BUT HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING IF SOMEONE WAS POUNDING ON MY CAR CALLING ME OUT OF MY CAR TO BEAT ME BECAUSE I GOT TO THE LIGHT BEFORE HIM.
GUESS THE PORSHE GUY SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS PROZAC DELIVERED INSTEAD OF TRYING TO PICK IT UP.

“The Shame Is On The Other Side”

Since: Oct 07

Long Island, NY

#2 May 16, 2009
If the reported facts are accurate, I'm siding with the kid. Apparently he felt substantially threatened in that he called 911 to report he was being harassed by another motorist.

The fact that the formerly hot-headed dead guy was driving a Porsche works against him too.

I would not be surprised to learn this whole thing started over the kid flashing the bird at an egomaniac with a penchant for power and fast high performance cars.
Craig

Germany

#3 May 16, 2009
The tough guy in the Porsche isn't so tough now, is he?
I hope the kid makes out OK.
Good job trying to beat up a car, douche...
Nobodty Wins

Mountain View, CA

#5 May 16, 2009
This poor kid was doing everything in his power to get away from the guy that was killed. He was scared shit and his natural instinct was to try and get away. It's unfortunate & sad that the porshe guy died, but this kid shoudn't be charged w homicide. There is no crime in Long Beach & the police need to press charges on as many people as possible to justify their bloated salaries. The only ones that benifit from this is the blood sucking lawyers, the court system, & the overpaid police dep't. The taxpayers get screwed once again! Sorry to both families of this tragety.
Fisherman

Mobile, AL

#6 May 17, 2009
The problem with me is that in another related article the Dectective said the kid was scared, blocked in and a nut trying to get at him ??? You don't run him over... His other option was get away, which he could'nt or call the police whih he did, or get his head pounded and maybe sustain seriou injury, he's not too big a man ??? If the Cop had no weapon under the same circumstanes, would he enjoy getting his head pounded to a pulp, and these witnesses , where were they ?? I give up, man !!
Ted Striker

Chesterfield, MO

#7 May 17, 2009
"Potts and Ian Sharinn, 34, exchanged heated words as they drove in Long Beach before Sharinn got out of his car, police and witnesses said .... Police have not released Sharinn's name, saying that a family member has not yet identified his body."

another gem from newsday reporters. Does anyone at this rag have a high school diploma?
LB Local

Lakewood, NJ

#8 May 17, 2009
Ian Sharinn had been ticketed for using a phone while driving, improper use of a signal and following too closely in 2006 and 2008, according to the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

Guess the old saying THREE STRIKES YOUR OUT holds true here.
Fisherman

Salina, KS

#9 May 17, 2009
They have to stop bringing up 2 lousy tickets on a guys record after he's been driving for 15 years... This County is making things appear relevent, when they are not... Treading a thin line with this bul l over and over and over and over and over !!
SignalFirst

Chicago, IL

#10 May 17, 2009
Now Ian can be best remembered as the poster child for Senator Fuschillo's campaign against road rage
as well as the AARP Defensive Driving Douchebag of the Year Award.
sad oceanside ny

Lynbrook, NY

#11 May 17, 2009
the young boy is my nieghbor .. as much of a bad kid he is he is also a good kid ..he is a boy growing up..in n out of trouble the way it seems the guy in the yellow car was a cocky creep knowing the kid was youger he should have moved on n let it b instead of causing more trouble the potts kid did the right thing by calling 911 .. did he have the right of way to run him over ...no... im on the potts kid side .. its all very sad
Maria

Oceanside, NY

#12 May 17, 2009
Living here in LB, I have seen my share of road rage. People need to learn how to drive. I feel for the kid because I dont know what I would have done had Sharinn chased me down. The guy blocked him in and GOT out of his car! He got out of the car in a very aggressive manner. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? This kid didnt set out that day to kill a man. He had to have paniced. We will find out the timeline for the 911 call soon. The problem is when you call 911 from Long Beach, they put you on hold to transfer the call to LB police dept. When you call Long Beach police dept directly(cant post number), the message says "if this is an emergency, please hang up and call 911". How long did that 911 take to get the police(LB)onto park Ave? 5 Million Bond?? Why Smoklin put the bail that high is crazy! Homicide? Why not vehicular manslaughter? I hope the kid has a good lawyer. My prayers are with both families, for 2 lives are forever changed. Sharinn should be the poster for road rage, not the kid. This kid will have to live with the fact that he killed a man for the rest of his life.
Fisherman

Brooklyn, NY

#13 May 17, 2009
sad oceanside ny wrote:
the young boy is my nieghbor .. as much of a bad kid he is he is also a good kid ..he is a boy growing up..in n out of trouble the way it seems the guy in the yellow car was a cocky creep knowing the kid was youger he should have moved on n let it b instead of causing more trouble the potts kid did the right thing by calling 911 .. did he have the right of way to run him over ...no... im on the potts kid side .. its all very sad
How does he know this nut is'nt going to kill him, all the symptoms of wanting to do exactly that... Stalking for 5 minutes... Have fun picking this jury, and throw in a few beating victims ...
Maria

Orlando, FL

#15 May 17, 2009
Wite Trash wrote:
I was going to support the kid until I noticed he is wearing a nighr loving tee shirt. So he is just a w/higger and this is just a case of one piece of trash offing another. This is what the Kwa has come to. There is more garbage than decent people out there. The Kwa needs a fumigation.
www.truthtellers.org
It is amazing how you can judge a person by their clothing and then have the nerve to post a web site about "national prayer network"..REALLY????? I will pray for your ignorance.
toddy delamuca

South Salem, NY

#17 May 17, 2009
my only problem is he didnt continue to run over him,good riddance another creep gone
Grandmael

Long Beach, NY

#18 May 17, 2009
This is a story with a sad ending for both people involved, but I think that the kid did the right thing. He was afraid for his life. It was self-defense. He had been calling 911, but needed to get out there fast before the guy in the Porsche killed him.
The Michelin Man

Indian Lake Estates, FL

#19 May 17, 2009
I've always been curious how the funeral homes remove tire tracks from the bodies of people that were run over. Do they use an iron? like the same way we iron clothes to get wrinkles out?
Maria

Oceanside, NY

#21 May 17, 2009
OhWellShitHappens wrote:
<quoted text>
Clothing, looks and actions tell much about a person.
I guess no one taught you not to judge a book by its cover huh..
Yucchielicious

Crothersville, IN

#22 May 17, 2009
The Michelin Man wrote:
I've always been curious how the funeral homes remove tire tracks from the bodies of people that were run over. Do they use an iron? like the same way we iron clothes to get wrinkles out?
The funeral home probably would place a
"Don't Tread On Me" shirt over the torso to add some dignity to the festivities.
toddy delamuca

South Salem, NY

#23 May 17, 2009
anyone that drives a yellow porsche deserves what they get
Socrates

Tampa, FL

#25 May 17, 2009
When you act like you are possesed, cursing and telling someone you are about to do them bodily harm, the inevitable will occur. Kharma-RIP angry soul. Your time to go!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Queens College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and the Political... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Obama aims to show Islam, Western communities c... (Feb '15) Feb '15 END TIMES 21
News Jewish Latin American Writers Featured in Sympo... (Mar '14) Mar '14 WE JUST DONT CARE 3
News Hicksville High School Principal Retires (Aug '13) Aug '13 melvin 1
News Report: New York City May Allow Amnestied Illeg... (May '13) May '13 Exactly 6
Seeking a part- time nanny (Jan '13) Jan '13 Jennifer 1
News Aung San Suu Kyi Meets With Ban Ki-Moon, Colleg... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Anti-colonialist 3
More from around the web