Should Children With Obesity Be Taken From Their Parents In Indianapolis?

Jul 20, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Examiner.com

A thought provoking article was published in the July 12th, 2011 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association .

Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The only Kaptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jul 20, 2011
No they should be removed though, if they let them listen to gangster rap, and watch mtv all day long, and wear baggy pants down too their ankles.and when they begin to replace the english with ghetto ebonics.I'm definitely for some govt intervetntion there lol, some major deprogramming teens from trying to become ghetto trash thugs as though that's normal as the violent video games and rap songs they listen too and even movies have completely desensitized them on death and love.Parents take control now!!!, stop letting teens control the rules.turn off the cable and sat tv when they act up, take away that cell phone, stop spoiling them just so they will like you, called tough love.If most the teens out there had my father lol, not one of them would had back talked lol.They definitely wouldn't had been able to sit down for a week lol. many times you got to embarrass a teenager in front of their own kool friends and total strangers to make a point.If you can't handle that teen then get a brother, uncle. to step in and help.and when all else fails then send them to a boot camp. least you know they wont be out getting high and doing something worse. fight back against those liberal leftist progressive think they know how to raise your kids laws. Be a Parent, stop coddling those teenagers .grow up yourself and take command.
Person

Carmel, IN

#2 Jul 21, 2011
I think for anybody to write such a heading for a news article, should go to jail.
Truth

United States

#3 Jul 21, 2011
Americans as a people are unfit as parents. Give an American a gun,a bag of candy,a can of soda pop,a bible,a comic book,a can of beer,a credit card and they're as happy as a pig in sh*t.

Americans are fat.

Americans are incompetent.

Americans are easily led by any marketing group.

Americans are trashy.

Americans are prone to become violent over the most innocuous circumstances.

Americans love and admire corruption.

Americans are impotent and ineffectual at accomplishing goals that are worthy.

Americans love being told what to do,how to act,what to think,when to think, and are prone to forego all reason of logic and find such a fault endearing.

Americans love to steal. Americans love ripping each other off.

Americans will do anything for a dollar.

America has given the world Kim Kardashian,Jersey Shore,Dick Cheney,The Richard Bey Show,etc,etc.
pcfromfl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Jul 21, 2011
Person wrote:
I think for anybody to write such a heading for a news article, should go to jail.
or a mental hospital !!! or both
Murky

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jul 21, 2011
I don't think that fat kids should be reomved from their homes, but I DO think that their parents should be forced into a year-long nutrition/fitness training program. Teach the parents WHY obesity is bad and how to prevent it. Inconvenience them, make them miserable. Make them think twice about allowing their children's health to deterriorate.
sassy

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jul 21, 2011
Fat kids are a product of society and government control. Do away with all the entitlement programs and you will see fewer fat kids. Reduce entitlement programs and you will see less fat kids. Remove junk food from the food stamp program and you will see fewer fat kids. The govt. can't control shi**y parenting, nor should it. (unless there is abuse) The govt. has to quit feeding the sloths and the fat will melt away.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#7 Jul 21, 2011
So we take something that isn't a crime and allow the state to "re-educate" the parents?

Who decides what the best nutrition is? Views change all the time. Every child is different and has different nutritional needs. I had teachers constantly berate me because I didn't drink the milk that came with lunches. I explained--very patiently for a child, I think--that I was allergic to milk. Most did not believe me; it always came down to a call from my parents to the principle to tell these idiots to back off because I WAS allergic to milk. It was in my file; nobody ever bothered to check it.

There are also children who do have physical disorders that bring on obesity. The simple fact is that we are just now beginning to understand the problem, just like it took the AIDS crisis to get scientists to really study the immune system.
Murky wrote:
I don't think that fat kids should be reomved from their homes, but I DO think that their parents should be forced into a year-long nutrition/fitness training program. Teach the parents WHY obesity is bad and how to prevent it. Inconvenience them, make them miserable. Make them think twice about allowing their children's health to deterriorate.
The only Kaptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jul 22, 2011
Hey mr truth I seen plenty of fat, ignorant, trashy people in many third world countries, yes they brought their trash , gangs, and hate to america and fattening foods.lot of fat mexican women and men, they love too eat, and they we're fat before they began eating mcdonalds or burger king food.Mr truth we offer plenty of education to foreigners in our country, they use visa's to go to our great universities and learn.so Mr truth you are wrong again.have you been to africa and seen many of the conditions still in africa of famine disease and wars. In africa there are many shanty towns of trash, crime, and murder.wihtout trash america as you call us mr truth many of those countries wouldn't exist now on many levels of living period.even most ghetto's in america have running water and toilets and nearby stores to shop at , and medical services nearby .so harp on america more mr truth while you live here in out great country with freedoms you didn't have in your own before you sneaked in here across our borders.
The only Kaptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Jul 22, 2011
I think mr truth is still so bitter over the repubs taking back the house in a landslide, and as obama prays for the country to default, so he can once again blame bush, cheney, and every republican he wouldn't cut a serious deal with on the nations debt he increased with his obamacare shoved down americans throats behind closed doors. laughing while he and his dem congress did so with utter arrogance ,as they said we won, it's a mandate, the people spoke so sit down and shut up or else, as they mocked the tea party and every town hall meeting.as obama continued too spend more tax payers dollars and give it away to foreign countries and terrorist such as hamas and hezzbollah.obama had no problem handing billions to bailout european banks and countries such as greece at the sum of 55 billion, by the way greece defaulted again, so new austerity measures had to be approved before they got more money. obama wants chaos in the usa, he wants a major revolution like the french had against the church and the rich, like the commie bolsheveiks had in russia to usher in communism and the cold war.obama told a college pal when they went to school back in his college revolutionairy days , obakma told him i want a revolution now, I want chaos to bring down america.his pal said no now isn't the time. now it is because obama is president and all his liberal progressive marxist red card carrying comrades still hold much power, wall street is run by those same liberal progressive dems. and obama bailed them out big time .As the debt clock ticks down , obama is runnign around preaching to the people get those rich, it's those big oil companies , again playing class envy and race card at every angle he can.many companies make bigger profits then even oil and are exempt from certain taxes, such as GE, but obama wont dare mention his GE pal company for jeffery immelt his pal runs GE.typical always of dems like obama to go after tobacco, big oil. they know they give the most too republicans.obama is now backed into a corner, he hasn't put one thing in writing on how he would solve the debt crisis , jhe hasn't offered any real cuts other than lip service , his dem senate has not passed a budget in three years now.they had all of congress two whole years and still didn't pass a budget, they only spent , spent, and taxed.now he and his dems are saying seniors and military wont get paid if debt not increased, big fat lie, there is plenty of money in the coffer too fund the seniors and military service people, they will all get their checks still.the house repubs even passed a measure to make sure they do get paid, obama said he will veto that and the spend, gap, cap bill passed by repubs.

Indianapolis

#10 Jul 22, 2011
Sorry, you xenophobic cretin, but real mexican food is not nearly as fattening as a cuisine as that of the french or germans, where butter is a main ingredient. In fact, vegetables make up the bulk of most hispanic dishes.

Even active children--regardless of race--can put on weight, so perhaps we need to investigate other factors.
The only Kaptoz wrote:
Hey mr truth I seen plenty of fat, ignorant, trashy people in many third world countries, yes they brought their trash , gangs, and hate to america and fattening foods.lot of fat mexican women and men, they love too eat, and they we're fat before they began eating mcdonalds or burger king food.Mr truth we offer plenty of education to foreigners in our country, they use visa's to go to our great universities and learn.so Mr truth you are wrong again.have you been to africa and seen many of the conditions still in africa of famine disease and wars. In africa there are many shanty towns of trash, crime, and murder.wihtout trash america as you call us mr truth many of those countries wouldn't exist now on many levels of living period.even most ghetto's in america have running water and toilets and nearby stores to shop at , and medical services nearby .so harp on america more mr truth while you live here in out great country with freedoms you didn't have in your own before you sneaked in here across our borders.

Indianapolis

#11 Jul 22, 2011
The remainder of your post proves that you DON'T think. At all.
The only Kaptoz wrote:
I think...
Help A Child

Erie, PA

#12 Jul 22, 2011
No you should not take an obese child from the parent. This could set the child into a depression from being away from the parent. That might cause an eating disorder and compound the problem. The parents should be forced to put the child into a nutritional program and the parent taught nutritional habits. To treat an obese child, you have to treat the family as a whole.
Dave

Bloomingdale, IN

#13 Jul 22, 2011
Help A Child wrote:
No you should not take an obese child from the parent. This could set the child into a depression from being away from the parent. That might cause an eating disorder and compound the problem. The parents should be forced to put the child into a nutritional program and the parent taught nutritional habits. To treat an obese child, you have to treat the family as a whole.
The majority of the American diet is ElCrapo, fast food, snack foods, high carb foods. Yes education of the parents on nutrition would be a benefit to families. No it would not be OK to force families, under force of law to attend anything. No it would NOT be right to take obese children from their families. Guidance would be another issue. Why is it that society wants to further infringe parents personal family oversite? Yes I understand what some of the answers will be. But where the heck did personal freedom go? How doe's the saying go, your freedom ends when it infringes on mine.
the only kaptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jul 22, 2011
To the moronic cretin cpeter I guess mexicans don't eat any meat lol. yeah you can get a a taco at taco bell with n o beef lol.I seen plenty of meat eating mexicans eating high calorie fattening food and sucking down tequila and beer.I guess those mexican women with those large hips thats just padding lol.checkout most schools with mexican kids they are all fat.deal with that fact.they love too eat all food. just like black people also the love fast food .true if most stores marked down veggies and fruits maybe more parents would buy them, now you have lefty commie thugs even going after people who grow home gardens. they want to tax them on their home gardens.

Indianapolis

#15 Jul 22, 2011
GodDAMN you are a moron. Taco Bell? That's as mexican as pizza, idiot. REAL mexican cuisine--even the tacos and burritos--is much higher in protein and lower in salt nd fats than the average american meal. BTW--I never said they ate no beef; they don't eat a lot of it.
the only kaptoz wrote:
To the moronic cretin cpeter I guess mexicans don't eat any meat lol. yeah you can get a a taco at taco bell with n o beef lol.I seen plenty of meat eating mexicans eating high calorie fattening food and sucking down tequila and beer.I guess those mexican women with those large hips thats just padding lol.checkout most schools with mexican kids they are all fat.deal with that fact.they love too eat all food. just like black people also the love fast food .true if most stores marked down veggies and fruits maybe more parents would buy them, now you have lefty commie thugs even going after people who grow home gardens. they want to tax them on their home gardens.
The Only Laptoz

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jul 24, 2011
Don't blame the parents when it was typical leftist liberals who whined about even real sugar making kids fat all the way back in the 60's. so along came fructose added sugars from corn, that's the main culprit here, that's what has made so many people fat and obese, almost everything you eat now has fructose corn starch added to it, even foods deemed healthy. most soda pop as well has it in it.most of europe though still sues regular sugar in their foods.like with pesticides banned in the usa , again a lefty liberal agenda, yet now we buy most our veggies and fruits from countries that use those pesticides we banned lol.so we are eating the same pesticides we banned lol.No we don't need the big daddy govt forcing parents to take a class in nutrition , I learned all about health in grade school .same liberals whined and said kids should be able to eat what they eat out of school as in fast food , so they began to add pizza hut and other fast foods to the school lunch menu.
Person

Carmel, IN

#17 Jul 25, 2011
I think the government has enough on its shoulders, that it "cannot deal with." As long as the child is being fed food, that is what is important. Maybe the government needs to restrict junk food commercials, to be aired after 9:00pm. How about if Americans write a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association, and tell them to quit putting such ridicules articles in it. Tell them to write intelligent articles like cures for Aids or Autism.

Indianapolis

#18 Jul 25, 2011
BS. The body processes fructose and sucrose exactly the same way. You fell for those sugar-industry commercials,I see.
The Only Laptoz wrote:
Don't blame the parents when it was typical leftist liberals who whined about even real sugar making kids fat all the way back in the 60's. so along came fructose added sugars from corn, that's the main culprit here, that's what has made so many people fat and obese, almost everything you eat now has fructose corn starch added to it, even foods deemed healthy. most soda pop as well has it in it.most of europe though still sues regular sugar in their foods.like with pesticides banned in the usa , again a lefty liberal agenda, yet now we buy most our veggies and fruits from countries that use those pesticides we banned lol.so we are eating the same pesticides we banned lol.No we don't need the big daddy govt forcing parents to take a class in nutrition , I learned all about health in grade school .same liberals whined and said kids should be able to eat what they eat out of school as in fast food , so they began to add pizza hut and other fast foods to the school lunch menu.
moveiton

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jul 28, 2011
cpeter1313 wrote:
So we take something that isn't a crime and allow the state to "re-educate" the parents?
Who decides what the best nutrition is? Views change all the time. Every child is different and has different nutritional needs. I had teachers constantly berate me because I didn't drink the milk that came with lunches. I explained--very patiently for a child, I think--that I was allergic to milk. Most did not believe me; it always came down to a call from my parents to the principle to tell these idiots to back off because I WAS allergic to milk. It was in my file; nobody ever bothered to check it.
There are also children who do have physical disorders that bring on obesity. The simple fact is that we are just now beginning to understand the problem, just like it took the AIDS crisis to get scientists to really study the immune system.
<quoted text>
Maybe your parents should have home schooled you since you and they were too stupid to communicate your allergies.

Indianapolis

#20 Jul 28, 2011
Chuckles, I DID explain it; you can't get more to-the-fact than "I'm allergic to milk"--something I learned to say from an early age. As I said, it was even in my file.

I could have been home-schooled, seeing as my mother has a teaching degree. But her specialty is english and not science or math, so a school placement was a better idea. Besides, homeschooling just creates pathetic morns with no coping skills.
moveiton wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe your parents should have home schooled you since you and they were too stupid to communicate your allergies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Education briefs (Mar '11) Aug 26 Bob 24
Purdue offering veterinary camps at State Fair Jul '14 Coda1 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School bo... Jun '14 Randy Miller 5
Could This Meat Save Your Life? Jun '14 Monique 10
Odds against accused Purdue shooter's insanity ... Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
One Weird Trick to Destroy a Man's Ego Apr '14 lonniebauk 73
Local Catholic schools face declining enrollment (Jan '14) Feb '14 Lefty 48
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••