Study: Hurricanes whip up faster in warming world

Sep 7, 2012 Full story: CBS News 6

NASA's Terra satellite captured this image today of Hurricane Isaac in the Gulf of Mexico on August 28.

Full Story
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#1 Sep 8, 2012
Wow. This is excellent for review. I give it five full cups of tea.

For example:

The North Atlantic basin also shows the strongest warming trends during the study period. In the past 30 years, sea surface temperatures in Hurricane Alley - the main Atlantic hurricane development region - increased nearly 2 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius).

Also:

Hurricanes and other tropical cyclones across the globe reach Category 3 wind speeds nearly nine hours earlier than they did 25 years ago, the study found. In the North Atlantic, the storms have shaved almost a day (20 hours) off their spin-up to Category 3, the researchers report.(Category 3 hurricanes have winds between 111 and 129 mph, or 178 and 208 kph.)

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#2 Sep 8, 2012
Spambrat wrote:
I give it five full cups of tea.
Goll-llee.
Spambrat wrote:
"I agree.
I must say, the progress is fantastic.
People will love you for that.
Congratulations.
5 full cups of tea out of five.
BRAVO."
Excellent.
Thanks for the laugh.
Excellent.
Thanks for the laugh.
a wonderful scientist[Hansen]
The guy is solid gold, true and true.
Fair Game is back!

Welcome..:)
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#3 Sep 8, 2012
steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling wrote:
Goll-llee.
...intelligence unbounded......
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#4 Sep 8, 2012
The Atlantic Ocean hurricane season spawned two hurricanes this week and NASA satellites have been monitoring them and providing valuable data to forecasters. NASA's TRMM satellite saw very heavy rainfall and powerful towering thunderstorms in Michael when the storm became a hurricane. Michael's wind speeds more than doubled in 24 hours and it is now a major hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

In addition to Michael in the Atlantic Ocean basin today, Leslie is moving toward Bermuda over the weekend, and another low pressure area is being watched in the Gulf of Mexico. That other low pressure area, called System 90L, is located near 29.3 North and 88.3 West over the north central Gulf of Mexico. That broad area of low pressure is drifting southward into the Gulf and has a 40% chance of developing into a tropical depression in the next two days.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#5 Sep 9, 2012

Hurricanes will get worse from now on, Katrina was just the start of things to come.

2006-2012

????
PHD

Houston, TX

#6 Sep 9, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
Hurricanes will get worse from now on, Katrina was just the start of things to come.
2006-2012
????
WOW you stayed up all night for that one didn't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Education briefs (Mar '11) Aug 25 MaltaMon 16
Purdue offering veterinary camps at State Fair Jul '14 Coda1 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School bo... Jun '14 Randy Miller 5
Could This Meat Save Your Life? Jun '14 Monique 10
Odds against accused Purdue shooter's insanity ... Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
One Weird Trick to Destroy a Man's Ego (Mar '14) Apr '14 lonniebauk 73
Local Catholic schools face declining enrollment (Jan '14) Feb '14 Lefty 48
•••

Purdue University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE