Earth Could Become Too Hot for Humans

May 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: LiveScience

This map shows the maximum wet-bulb temperatures reached in a climate model from a high carbon dioxide emissions future climate scenario with a global-mean temperature 12 degrees Celsius warmer than 2007.

Comments
21 - 40 of 66 Comments Last updated May 12, 2010

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

The real issue is how accurate are the models. Have they been tested with historical data to check the accuracy or are they like the ocean rising models that have the oceans at one meter higher in 2100. Which by the way would have a cooling effect on the planet as the evaporation percipitation cycle would have a cooling effect. Which is something I would be willing to bet they left out of thier models.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Not when you're starving due to crop failure.
Well, certainly the drought, heat stress and decreased crop yield attendant with WARMING will be a disaster on the agricultural front\

For an idea of the crop losses under warming, you really need to look at http://tinyurl.com/yb467z5

Even now we are losing a lot of former grassland to scrub as soil moisture decreases.

A COOLING and reduced growing season would just cut off some marginal grazing lands in the higher latitudes. It would probably increase agriculture in equatorial zones. And grassland would expand making for more fertile areas.

But sure. Neither is GOOD for agriculture. We have spent too much time and money adapting to the NORM.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called irrigation ...
and it would at least double the cost to agriculture. Then it would cause people to starve as food prices went out of reach..

Irrigation is NOT cheap. Water, under our past environment WAS.

Might as well go whole hog and do all agriculture in hydroponics. Is that YOUR solution? Seems like you are replacing ONE problem with another.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Not when you're starving due to crop failure.
You're worried about others starving? Then you don't want warmer seas or drier continents; warming brings both.

Still, aren't you the lad who said the world's poor are causing their own troubles by living in deserts? I hadn't realized that caused you such anguish.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Northie wrote:
You're worried about others starving? Then you don't want warmer seas or drier continents; warming brings both.
IF you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that I was explaining to LessFact that a cold climate is more harmful to crops, so wearing warm clothes wouldn't be enough to save his sorry a$$.
Northie wrote:
Still, aren't you the lad who said the world's poor are causing their own troubles by living in deserts? I hadn't realized that caused you such anguish.
I said no such thing.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Northie wrote:
Then you don't want warmer seas or drier continents; warming brings both.
Is that really true?
In 1998, the IPCC forecast, was that, "by the end of the next century, the world's climate will be about 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than today and that precipitation worldwide will increase by about 7 percent."

It sounds quite reasonable to me that warmth causes water to condense, which causes clouds to form, leading to rainfall, so more heat = more cloud = more rain.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Is that really true?
yes. MOST of the continental land area are made up of 'continental interiors' where moisture from the sea has less chance of penetrating while increased transpiration and evaportaiton dry the soil. Science has reported the loss of grassland to shrub. One step in 'desertification'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1998, the IPCC forecast, was that, "by the end of the next century, the world's climate will be about 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than today and that precipitation worldwide will increase by about 7 percent."
Yes. Places near oceans and inland lakes will see a major increase in rainfall from the increase in evaporation at higher temperatures. And the water vapor in the air will add a 'regional' warming feedback. Overall, the total water vapor content of the air rises about 3% for every degree C of warming. But the increase is NOT globally uniform. Water vapor does NOT have a long 'persistance'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds quite reasonable to me that warmth causes water to condense, which causes clouds to form, leading to rainfall, so more heat = more cloud = more rain.
Warmth causes condensation? Do you NEVER watch the weather reports? Rainfall occurs where warm wet air meets cool dry air. It is the cooling that causes rainfall from the WARM WET air which become COOL WET air.

Note that the water vapor increase is of the 'absolute humidity'. RH is generally not affected so their is no real change to weather dynamics.

Weather events such as rainfall are factors of RELATIVE humidity. Once cooled the air mass finds the RH above 100 and thus rain precipitates.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Nothing about climate is, "globally uniform," hence gloabal warming is a misnomer.
In the tropics, warm air meets cooler air, which causes rainfall, a warmer atmosphere won't stop that cycle.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Hopefully, it will be a dry heat.

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
and it would at least double the cost to agriculture. Then it would cause people to starve as food prices went out of reach..
Irrigation is NOT cheap. Water, under our past environment WAS.
Might as well go whole hog and do all agriculture in hydroponics. Is that YOUR solution? Seems like you are replacing ONE problem with another.
The thing is they are already using irrigation so it isn't going to raise the cost any more. And even in a drought there will b e places where water is available. The real kicker is that using that water will have an effect of actually causing the ocean levels to drop as water during this warmer period will increase evaporation while the number one source of water returning via watersheads will be put out of action as they are drained.

In other words, solving two problems at the exact same time.

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Ever notice how Northie and Less Hype More Fact see the negative in anything. I have yet to see anything from them that they consider humanity doing good.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Earthling wrote:
Nothing about climate is, "globally uniform," hence gloabal warming is a misnomer.
Non-sequitur. A global value such as the global average surface temperatues doesn't have to be defined as 'uniform'. In fact, it is meaningless to talk about it as uniform since it varies quite a bit from the poles to the equator. But the average CAN change. And even CHANGE in the surface temperature or water vapor, etc are not defined as uniform. That would be an ADDITIONAL constraint that is not supported by climate models.
Earthling wrote:
In the tropics, warm air meets cooler air, which causes rainfall, a warmer atmosphere won't stop that cycle.
It is the cooling of the warm moise air that creates precipitation. Not warming as YOU claimed. Just admit that you goofed.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

tina anne wrote:
The real issue is how accurate are the models. Have they been tested with historical data to check the accuracy...
Yes. The models explain both temperature change in geological and historical times.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11649-c...
Gord

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. The models explain both temperature change in geological and historical times.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11649-c...
HAHAHA...HAHAHA....what a HOOT!

Gee, right from Trenberth....

Predictions of climate
Posted by Oliver Morton on behalf of Kevin E. Trenberth

"In fact there are no predictions by IPCC at all. And there never have been. The IPCC instead proffers “what if” projections of future climate that correspond to certain emissions scenarios."

"None of the models used by IPCC are initialized to the observed state and none of the climate states in the models correspond even remotely to the current observed climate.

In particular, the state of the oceans, sea ice, and soil moisture has no relationship to the observed state at any recent time in any of the IPCC models."

"The current projection method works to the extent it does because it utilizes differences from one time to another and the main model bias and systematic errors are thereby subtracted out. This assumes linearity. It works for global forced variations, but it can not work for many aspects of climate, especially those related to the water cycle."

http://blogs.nature.com/climatefeedback/2007/...
Gord

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
Ever notice how Northie and Less Hype More Fact see the negative in anything. I have yet to see anything from them that they consider humanity doing good.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Brian_G wrote:
Hopefully, it will be a dry heat.
NOOOO!!!!
Heat with some humidity is much better for humans and other animals.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Just admit that you goofed.
Nah, you took my words, "out of context."

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

I sure hope it heats up. It was freakin' snowing this morning. Think I'll idle my car all day to increase green house gases.

Western New Yorkers for Global Warming

Kook
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Gord wrote:
<quoted text>
Every silver lining has a cloud.
I certainly talk more about the clouds that you deny. But it is certainly untrue that I see doom and gloom in everything. Fact is that a LOT of progress has been made despite the efforts of you, Dirtling, Tina, etc.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Judged:

Lessy, I'm sure you don't see doom and gloom in everything, my guess is that you mostly see a way to create an argument from almost anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Purdue University Discussions

Search the Purdue University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Purdue offering veterinary camps at State Fair Jul 23 Coda1 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School bo... Jun '14 Randy Miller 5
Could This Meat Save Your Life? Jun '14 Monique 10
Odds against accused Purdue shooter's insanity ... Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
One Weird Trick to Destroy a Man's Ego Apr '14 lonniebauk 73
Education briefs (Mar '11) Mar '14 Bob 20
Local Catholic schools face declining enrollment (Jan '14) Feb '14 Lefty 48
•••
•••