Earth Could Become Too Hot for Humans

May 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: LiveScience

This map shows the maximum wet-bulb temperatures reached in a climate model from a high carbon dioxide emissions future climate scenario with a global-mean temperature 12 degrees Celsius warmer than 2007.

Comments
1 - 20 of 66 Comments Last updated May 12, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Yet another, "new study."

"if greenhouse gases continue to be emitted at their current rate temperatures could become deadly in coming centuries."

"if greenhouse gas emissions continue at their current rate and future climate models are correct."

Does 'Brett Israel, LiveScience Staff Writer' have no imagination whatsoever, does he seriously believe that GHG emissions will continue into the, "coming centuries or was he just writing for fun?"
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Earthling wrote:
Yet another, "new study."
Yes. Progress, science, industry etc all go on without cease. Only fossils cannot see the changes.
Earthling wrote:
"if greenhouse gases continue to be emitted at their current rate temperatures could become deadly in coming centuries."
But I suspect that SOME will survive,undersea if nothing else. At least until technology fails.
Earthling wrote:
"if greenhouse gas emissions continue at their current rate and future climate models are correct."
Or at least in the right 'ballpark' as the scientists estimate they are.
Earthling wrote:
Does 'Brett Israel, LiveScience Staff Writer' have no imagination whatsoever, does he seriously believe that GHG emissions will continue into the, "coming centuries or was he just writing for fun?"
No. He sees the effect of 'luddites' and 'denialists' like you and is providing a 'scenario' for his 'forecast'. He HOPES that we will be wiser but who can say?

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

What they're taling bout is the dew point.

Some time ago on the Weather Underground site I looked a a whole lot of dew points for a lot of different places. What I found was that they rarely go much above 70°F. Produced an interesting curve:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/stacas...
JRS

Oak Creek, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

From the link: "in a -- climate model -- from a high carbon dioxide emissions -- future climate scenario -- with a global-mean temperature -- 12 degrees Celsius warmer --... "

Sounds exactly like the plot creation process for a science fiction movie where none of it is true, but will shock the movie goers.

--

NASA training:

A recent 2003 movie 'The Core' proposes that if Earth were to temporarily lose its magnetic field, a wide range of deadly calamities would befall humans and living creatures on Earth.

What will really happen?

Students may have difficulty separating fact from fiction,

especially when modern-day science fiction movies seem so believable,

and actors have become really good at 'talking science'.

Here's what CBS News said about The Core in a short synopsis:

"In "The Core," the Earth's inner core has stopped rotating, causing the planet's electromagnetic field to rapidly deteriorate. This can cause airplanes to start falling from the sky and everything electronic to be destroyed. And static discharge in the atmosphere threatens to create "super storms." Plus microwave radiation will literally cook the planet."

What you should note is the sloppy use of terminology,

and the subtle introduction of many 'facts' about what might actually happen as though they are certifiably sound, scientifically.

In fact, there is not a single idea in the above paragraph that makes sense.

Luckily, we don't have to speculate about what might happen. Over 400 magnetic reversals have been detected by geologists dating back to nearly 330 million years ago. By studying them carefully, scientists are learning about their impacts to Earth.

This activity will help students discriminate between factual and fictional descriptions of a natural phenomenon, which has been scientifically studied from the fossil and geologic record of Earth,

and found to be a lot less frightening than Hollywood (or CBS News!) would have us imagine!

http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/venus/Rever...
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Steve Case wrote:
What they're taling bout is the dew point.
total crap. They are talking about the 'heat index' for hot humid temperatures beyond what man can survive. Nothing to do with the dew point. Man can only tolerate so much heat if the humidity is too high for sweat evaporation to cool the body.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

I spent some time in Singapore while the humidity was at 95% and the temperature was HOT, but although it was initially uncomfortable for a northern hemisphere resident like me, many Brits have adapted and become quite accustomed to living there.

I've managed to avoid visiting very cold parts of the world, because adaptation involves wearing many layers of clothing, which isn't my style.
Mikhail paraskan

Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

that is true...climate becomes warmer :( frustrating
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Earthling wrote:
I spent some time in Singapore while the humidity was at 95% and the temperature was HOT, but although it was initially uncomfortable for a northern hemisphere resident like me, many Brits have adapted and become quite accustomed to living there.
I've managed to avoid visiting very cold parts of the world, because adaptation involves wearing many layers of clothing, which isn't my style.
The equatorial tropics are not where the greatest problems will be; those will be reserved for the "high" tropics and subtropics--between 10 and 35 degrees latitude, where summer seasonal warmth adds to the problem. That's where the hottest temperatures are. It's also where most of the world's people live. Too bad for them, eh?

"Whole countries would intermittently be subject to severe heat stress requiring large-scale adaptation efforts," Huber added. "One can imagine that such efforts, for example the wider adoption of air conditioning, would cause the power requirements to soar, and the affordability of such approaches is in question for much of the Third World that would bear the brunt of these impacts. In addition, the livestock on which we rely would still be exposed, and it would make any form of outside work hazardous."
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Norfie, do Huber's words give you an orgasm?
I wouldn't be surprised.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Earthling wrote:
Norfie, do Huber's words give you an orgasm?
I wouldn't be surprised.
Charming.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Thanks.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Earthling wrote:
I spent some time in Singapore while the humidity was at 95% and the temperature was HOT,..
And where I never left my air conditioned car or hotel room.. not being stupid enough to die of heat stroke like a good darwinian..

Fact is that your body has limits. If you were under them, good, but nobody can survive.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/canhumidexcalc.html

at 95% RH or more, if it was 33C in Singapore, you would likely be dead as the humidex would be 54C and heat stroke would be imminent.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Dud Twenties wrote:
<quoted text>and if it gets 12 C colder,, that will be too cold for us. Tell me something that I don't know.
Colder isn't so much of a problem. You can ALWAYS have more clothes. It is hard to strip past naked when it goes too high. And A/C only works if you have enough power which increases temperatures, etc. I am MUCH more worried about a warmer world than a colder one.

Also note that -5C is about the limit for cooling as that is the global average temperature difference between an interglacial (like now ) and an ice age.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

In Singapore, Singapore the average temperature is 27.04C (80.675F). 23.00C (73.40F) is the lowest monthly average low temperature (occurring in January, February, October, November, December)
---------
Relative humidity at Singapore averages 80.41666667% over the year.
http://www.justfinda.com/singapore-slovakia-s...
We spent most of the days sightseeing on foot or by trishaw, ate in the open air every evening.
The initial shock of such humidity was as we exited the plane, after that, we dressed more comfortably.
At 15:50 hrs each day, the locals raised their umbrellas and at first we wondered why, but at 16:00 hrs we understood exactly why!!!!
December is the month with the highest quantity of precipitation when 306mm (12.05in) of rain falls over a period of 19 days
Yep, we were there for Christmas week.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Dud Twenties wrote:
and if it gets 12 C colder,, that will be too cold for us. Tell me something that I don't know.
LessFact doesn't mind the cold and he'll be along soon to tell us how we can keep crops warm enough in a frozen world.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

I'm sure Earthling can tell us how to keep crops moist in a drought-plagued world.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>LessFact doesn't mind the cold and he'll be along soon to tell us how we can keep crops warm enough in a frozen world.
Again, reading problems about at the dick and jane level. I said that it is easier to handle colder temperatures than warmer.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

It's all fiction, untested theory instead of experimental tests. The climate can cool, warm or stay about the same, that's how climate change works. The climate is the largest, most massive, complex and chaotic system on Earth, we can't forecast climate change.

Climate change mitigation has never been tried or tested, that's how you can tell it's not science, it's a hoax.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
I said that it is easier to handle colder temperatures than warmer.
Not when you're starving due to crop failure.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

Northie wrote:
I'm sure Earthling can tell us how to keep crops moist in a drought-plagued world.
It is called irrigation and if the earth was warmer you would have more evaporation from the oceans. If you have a cooler climate such as they had back in the ice ages the water would be trapped in the ice sheets and you have a more arid climate. If you want a drought plagued world then you need to seriously lower the temperature of the climate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Purdue University Discussions

Search the Purdue University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Purdue offering veterinary camps at State Fair Jul 23 Coda1 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School bo... Jun '14 Randy Miller 5
Could This Meat Save Your Life? Jun '14 Monique 10
Odds against accused Purdue shooter's insanity ... Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
One Weird Trick to Destroy a Man's Ego Apr '14 lonniebauk 73
Education briefs (Mar '11) Mar '14 Bob 20
Local Catholic schools face declining enrollment (Jan '14) Feb '14 Lefty 48
•••
•••