Sexuality among key issues Episcopalians will confront at General Convention

Jul 5, 2012 Full story: The Indianapolis Star 7

About 10,000 Episcopalians are converging on Indianapolis to participate in the church's weeklong 77th General Convention, which begins today.

Full Story

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#1 Jul 6, 2012
"The Episcopal Church, made up of 110 dioceses in 16 nations, has faced great turmoil since the 2003 election of the denomination's first openly gay bishop, Gene Robinson."

And it this church will stay in turmoil until it gets back to the Word written in the Bible. How can a man be gay and not commit sin when he can not get married in most states?
lutheran

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 6, 2012
is this something the congregation votes on or is this a committee? sounds like the lutheran church about ten years ago

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#3 Jul 6, 2012
lutheran wrote:
is this something the congregation votes on or is this a committee? sounds like the lutheran church about ten years ago
The General Convention is the sole governing body of TEC. Everything must be approved by it in order for it to become binding on the entire church.

It meets every three years and all members of the church are represented. The House of Bishops can't order the House of Deputies to vote in any manner and the House of Deputies canít order the House of Bishops to vote in a certain manner. All legislation must be approved by a majority of both houses.

The House of Deputies created the House of Bishops and it did not have to do so. There were no bishops in America when TEC was formed. During the colonial experience, when we were considered a part of the Church of England, but were not even allowed to Confirm our members since we were never allowed bishops in the colonies.

Our first bishop was ordained by the Church of Scotlandís bishops.
lutheran too

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 6, 2012
the lutheran church came out of upheavel, now theyare split so many ways it is sick. the synods dont even resemble each other, hope the episcopal church isnt headed the same way.
lutheran too

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jul 6, 2012
have a feeling that the churches are going to split so bad that we all end up meeting in small groups or dropping out all together.mabe the quakers have the right idea.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#6 Jul 8, 2012
Is it true that the Lutheran church has a lesbian in charge?
rational

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 8, 2012
all I can speak of is the missouri synod i used to attend, it is one of many branches if you will who split with the ela,they are the conservative branch that accepts neither gays nor women as priests,judge on your own merits. the women and gay issues were 2 of many that split up the church. the more liberal elca,they have elected straight and gay men and women to many offices.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Purdue University Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rape victim acts to change statute of limitations (Feb '14) Mar '14 Russell 2
Rape law leaves Ind. woman feeling victimized a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Richard_ 1
Early treatment for depression may be good for ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 humanSpirit 1
Indianapolis weather: More snow, rain on the way (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lloyd M 1
Sexuality among key issues Episcopalians will c... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Selecia Jones- JA... 5
What Wisconsin's Recall Means For Labor Unions (Jun '12) Jun '12 Anonymous of Indy 461
Major victory in Anoka-Hennepin school district... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Seattle Slew 40
More from around the web