Scalia must join 21st century and cha...

Scalia must join 21st century and change gay marriage stance

There are 48 comments on the The Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 12, 2012, titled Scalia must join 21st century and change gay marriage stance. In it, The Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The Supreme Court's announcement last Friday that it will take up gay marriage is more than a chance for the justices to recognize the emerging national consensus in support of gay rights.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#48 Dec 14, 2012
No More Apples wrote:
Maybe Scalia does not need to be enlightened. Maybe he simply has a differing opinion on gay marriage. Why can't we simply agree to disagree in a civil way?
Harming others needlessly is hardly civil.

Scalia has made it clear he is "morally" opposed to treating gay people equally under the law, based on nothing more than a history of prejudice and legal discrimination. He wants to impose his prejudice, using the force of law to harm gay people for being gay people.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#50 Dec 14, 2012
BS Detector wrote:
I disagree re Justice Scalia in that he's not so much into personal feelings as his job being to interpret the Constitution. Mr. Obama is the one who wants Justices to have empathy, i.e., using personal feelings to influence their decision. I disagree with that. I want them to interpret the Constitution per the intent of the framers who actually wrote the thing and therefore likely had a decent idea (as in better than anybody else's) as to what it meant.
If Scalia is saying things like "If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder?", then he's very much interpreting with his feelings. Many people feel that many things are "immoral", but that doesn't mean that these things are outlawed. Many people feel that eating animals is immoral, or that carrying weapons is immoral.

Empathy, at least, allows a person to extend beyond their OWN feelings, to see how such bans look and feel from someone else's perspective. While I'd agree that more dispassionate approach is best when interpreting law, empathy certainly provides a better approach than "That's something I wouldn't enjoy, so NO ONE should be able to do it".

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#53 Dec 14, 2012
Mr Magic wrote:
I see a queer monkey!!!
That's alarming. Drugs, mental illness or traumatic brain injury?
TheTroll Stopper

Roanoke, VA

#55 Dec 14, 2012
Mr Magic wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a queer monkey!!!
Wow, I'll bet that response of yours must surely have taxed your intellectual capacity to its very limit.

Since: Jan 08

Providence, UT

#56 Jan 8, 2013
Mr Magic wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a queer monkey!!!
TheTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I'll bet that response of yours must surely have taxed your intellectual capacity to its very limit.
I think it's a case of -monkey see, monkey do- as well.

Since: Jan 08

Providence, UT

#57 Jan 8, 2013
Has anyone asked Scalia to recuse himself? He did recuse himself once before when asked as well as once refusing to recuse himself. It would at least force a response.
Ray

Newport, OR

#58 Jan 8, 2013
Scalia understands that forcing people to support "gay marriage" would be a crime against humanity.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#59 Jan 9, 2013
Ray wrote:
Scalia understands that forcing people to support "gay marriage" would be a crime against humanity.
Nice talk for someone who lives in a town called "Coos"! I hear they were going to call it 'Twat Bay', but that didn't appeal to focus groups much.

You are an idiot. As soon as Scalia finally dies and takes that big fat load Thomas along with him, THEN President Obama can put DECENT justices into the court, and we can be rid of those horrible Reagan era loads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stiff and oxygen-deprived tumors promote spread... Sep 13 Stephany McDowell 1
News Princeton honors memory of 'Mind' mathematician... Aug 31 Actual Science 1
News Words you can't use at Princeton: Mankind, manp... Aug '16 JCK 1
News Happy Birthday, Sonia Sotomayor, First Hispanic... (Feb '13) Jul '16 swedenforever 5
News Astronomy: Columbus native helped verify NASA's... Jun '16 Contrarian 4
News Panel describes scourge of modern slavery (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANICE 3
News Here are 8 reasons why a Bernie Sanders preside... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
More from around the web