Secular humanists on the real planet ...

Secular humanists on the real planet of the apes

There are 16 comments on the Salon story from Aug 23, 2011, titled Secular humanists on the real planet of the apes. In it, Salon reports that:

By delicious coincidence, the new movie "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was showing in theaters nationwide, even as two contenders for the Republican presidential nomination debated whether it is a fact or a theory that humans, chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and gibbons descend from a common ancestor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#1 Aug 23, 2011
'Ape-ists'????

Not another bunch fruitcakes!
nina

Canada

#2 Aug 23, 2011
Jumper wrote:
'Ape-ists'????
nope the same bible thumping fruitcakes as before.
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#3 Aug 23, 2011
...yes...yeth...dHey did,here.....eh....yada u..u..

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#4 Aug 23, 2011
Jumper wrote:
'Ape-ists'????
Could you put into words what evolution is and how it works?

I won't hold my breath on this one.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#5 Aug 23, 2011
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you put into words what evolution is and how it works?
I won't hold my breath on this one.
Well...God was lonesome so he created the fist man out of the mud of the earth to love and care for.In return to recive love from his creation.

Then he saw that man needed somone like himself to love.

So he created woman.

And the whole thing pretty much went down hill from there.

Austin, Tx

#6 Aug 23, 2011
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...God was lonesome so he created the fist man out of the mud of the earth to love and care for.In return to recive love from his creation.
So he created woman.
You are obviously very well educated. I surely cannot debate your clever and crafty argument... sorry I can't go on I'm laughing too hard.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#7 Aug 23, 2011
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously very well educated. I surely cannot debate your clever and crafty argument... sorry I can't go on I'm laughing too hard.
Hey,five cans of Budwiser =A degree in B.S. Studies.

Austin, Tx

#8 Aug 24, 2011
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,five cans of Budwiser =A degree in B.S. Studies.
Once again we agree on the beer thing. Beer good. Beer god?

Austin, Tx

#9 Aug 24, 2011
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
So he created woman.
Jumper, don't you think god could of created evolution? To me that makes more sense than snapping your fingers and it's over. I would, if I were god, create evolution and see how it all turns out. The way I percieve a god it can do any thing it wants.
Researcher

Harker Heights, TX

#10 Aug 24, 2011
"During his successful campaign for the presidency IN 1912, Woodrow Wilson, Ph.D., the former president of Princeton University, was asked whether he believed in evolution.

He replied, "that OF COURSE, LIKE EVERY OTHER MAN OF INTELLIGENCE AND EDUCATION, I DO BELIEVE IN ORGANIC EVOLUTION. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised."

Yet, almost a hundred years later,Rick Perry and Sarah Palin still haven't caught on.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson's predecessor in the White House, wrote in "My Life as a Naturalist" about his childhood reading: "Thank Heaven, I sat at the feet of Darwin and Huxley."

And, Thank Heaven for educated people.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Sevierville, TN

#11 Aug 25, 2011
The real question is whether the Theory of Evolution is inherently incompatible with the tenets of the various faiths. For many, it is not, else there would be no serious biological researchers with deep religious convictions.

Many people of faith rely on the scientific method and/or trust the findings of scientists who use it to understand physical reality, leaving religion, philosophy, and psychology to puzzle out the mysteries of human minds/spirits. Roosevelt nor Wilson, for instance, were both men of faith.

the real conflict is not between faith and atheism, but between science and anti-science.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#12 Aug 26, 2011
We anti-sci-tarians must do what is right.
Researcher

Harker Heights, TX

#13 Aug 26, 2011
NightSerf wrote:
The real question is whether the Theory of Evolution is inherently incompatible with the tenets of the various faiths. For many, it is not, else there would be no serious biological researchers with deep religious convictions.
Many people of faith rely on the scientific method and/or trust the findings of scientists who use it to understand physical reality, leaving religion, philosophy, and psychology to puzzle out the mysteries of human minds/spirits. Roosevelt nor Wilson, for instance, were both men of faith.
the real conflict is not between faith and atheism, but between science and anti-science.
As a life-long Christian conservative, I have no trouble at all accepting evolution.

What makes anybody think he/she can know how God works?

I agree with Wilson and Roosevelt, both men of faith. How could any knowledgable person not accept the fact of evolution?
Epicurus

Apopka, FL

#14 Aug 26, 2011
Researcher wrote:
"During his successful campaign for the presidency IN 1912, Woodrow Wilson, Ph.D., the former president of Princeton University, was asked whether he believed in evolution.
He replied, "that OF COURSE, LIKE EVERY OTHER MAN OF INTELLIGENCE AND EDUCATION, I DO BELIEVE IN ORGANIC EVOLUTION. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised."
Yet, almost a hundred years later,Rick Perry and Sarah Palin still haven't caught on.
"Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson's predecessor in the White House, wrote in "My Life as a Naturalist" about his childhood reading: "Thank Heaven, I sat at the feet of Darwin and Huxley."
Too bad there are no educated people running for office.

MOST SCIENTISTS ARE NON-BELIEVERS
That's one of the findings in a huge study of leading scientists at the 21 top-rated research universities in the United States.
And there's more:

Almost 52 percent of the 1,646 scientists who participated in the study have no current religious affiliation compared with only 14 percent of the general population.

More than 31 percent said they do not believe in God, and another 31 percent said they do not know if there is a God and there is no way to find out -- a whopping 62 percent of those surveyed.

More than 56 percent did not attend a religious service during the entire year preceding the survey.

Only 9.7 percent said they have "no doubts about God's existence."
The landmark study was conducted by sociologist Elaine Howard Ecklund at the University at Buffalo, and Christopher P. Scheitle of Pennsylvania State University. Ecklund said it's the first study in decades of the religious beliefs and practices of "elite academics," and it included 271 in-depth interviews with leading scientists, some of which lasted several hours.

She notes that the participants may not be representative of scientists as a whole, because they are the superachievers in their fields, men and women who are obsessed with science. But the findings are important, she said, because these are the people who shape the scientific attitudes and goals of the nation's academic communities.

The clash between science and religion is as old as science itself, but it seems especially heated -- and particularly important -- these days because of burning issues ranging from evolution to stem cell research.

It may seem that scientists tend to shy away from discussing religion, but Ecklund did not find that to be the case. About 75 percent of the scientists she surveyed, through a professional polling organization, agreed to participate in the study, a surprisingly high number. None of their names are being released.

And who's on the hot seat these days? Biologists. Most of the controversial issues today involve various biological fields from stem cell research to evolution to genetic engineering. Physicists can relax. It's pretty much agreed now that Earth revolves around the sun. But biologists are in deep conflict with a society in which 90 percent claim some affiliation with a religious organization.

Ecklund said she doesn't know if the lack of religion among biologists is a cause or effect of that ongoing clash. One would guess it's probably both.

She made no attempt to define religion. Instead, she relied upon the terms and "predictors" that have been used in numerous polls of the general public.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Story...

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." ~Mark Twain
Epicurus

Apopka, FL

#15 Aug 26, 2011
Researcher wrote:
"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I do not believe in the divinity of Christ, and there are many other of the postulates of the orthodox creed to which I cannot subscribe." ~William Howard Taft

“Politics is not religion and we should govern on the basis of evidence, not theology.”~Bill Clinton

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." ~John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." ~Thomas Jefferson

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." ~Benjamin Franklin
Epicurus

Apopka, FL

#16 Aug 26, 2011
Researcher wrote:
<quoted text>
As a life-long Christian conservative, I have no trouble at all accepting evolution.
What makes anybody think he/she can know how God works?
I agree with Wilson and Roosevelt, both men of faith. How could any knowledgable person not accept the fact of evolution?
God certainly has some rather curious ways of doing things!
His self-annointed clegry came up with some sensational concepts.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished. Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible. Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed. Europe entered the Dark Ages.

Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable. A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UC Berkeley Named 'America's Best Value College... May '17 Build the wall 2
News Affirmative action debate create rifts in ethni... (Apr '14) Apr '17 Hate discrimination 81
News A Physicist and Possible Adviser to Trump Descr... Mar '17 Into The Night 28
News US citizenship applications surge following Tru... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Ridiculous 2
News Doubts raised about relocating American embassy... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Jeff Brightone 1
News Weird science: 3 win Nobel physics prize for un... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Cromagnon Man 5
News Stiff and oxygen-deprived tumors promote spread... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web