College degrees aren't a guarantee fo...

College degrees aren't a guarantee for employment in this recession

There are 16 comments on the ETruth.com story from Jan 5, 2009, titled College degrees aren't a guarantee for employment in this recession. In it, ETruth.com reports that:

When Nena Razmara was laid off in November from her $70,000-a-year job with a high-end residential building supplier, she thought she would be working again by Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ETruth.com.

Dinah

Triangle, VA

#1 Jan 6, 2009
WELL. I see that there is no point in making comment HERE. There WERE comments on this topic. They are all gone now.
Someone

Baltimore, MD

#2 Jan 31, 2009
I'm not going to say what I do or where I work but I will tell you, the highest grade I completed was 8th grade.

Education does not mean a high pay check all the time. I didn't go to college and I never finished high school but I'm the highest paid employee at my company....know why? Because I'm needed and needed badly. You don't need an education all the time to be needed. Learn to make yourself needed and you can keep your job, unless the company folds!

It kills my co-workers when they find out I never finished high school and never went to college but I make twice the money they do.

College doesn't promise anything but more knowledge and more knowledge doesn't promise anything but knowing more.

Kids are lied to about how life is going to treat them once they are out of college. I couldn't tell you how many college graduates quit my line of work within the first couple years because they can't handle working their way to the top....it's funny to see these spoiled young adults waste their parents money.
Someone

Baltimore, MD

#3 Jan 31, 2009
Dinah wrote:
WELL. I see that there is no point in making comment HERE. There WERE comments on this topic. They are all gone now.
Is it normal to delete these comments?
Christopher

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Jan 31, 2009
Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it normal to delete these comments?
The comments might not have been deleted. I thought one time that comments I made were deleted, only to find that there were several threads with almost exactly the same name, and my posts were under another thread.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#5 Feb 1, 2009
Well, then guess I have to find the thread. I made some rather meaty statements that are NOT here.
joe

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 28, 2009
College doesn't teach most people anything that is usefull anyway, most seam to have no common sense, can't read and understand what they just read, they are programed to be told what to think it seams.
It's just a big scam, I decided not to play into that one, the best decision I ever made, friends from high school cry to me that they went to college and I make so much more money than they do, oh waa so sad..
You are far better off actually being able to do something and think for yourself, and have something to offer an employer beside the big degree..
Rocky

Lincoln, NE

#7 Apr 29, 2009
College can teach you how to spell useful.
Christopher

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 May 3, 2009
joe wrote:
College doesn't teach most people anything that is usefull anyway, most seam to have no common sense, can't read and understand what they just read, they are programed to be told what to think it seams.
It's just a big scam, I decided not to play into that one, the best decision I ever made, friends from high school cry to me that they went to college and I make so much more money than they do, oh waa so sad..
You are far better off actually being able to do something and think for yourself, and have something to offer an employer beside the big degree..
The fact is that college is a big scam that is meant to brainwash people into the thinking of the 'majority'. What we really need is for our education system to move from memorization and regurgitation (which makes people stop thinking for themselves) back to TRUE education.
jersey

Woodbridge, VA

#9 May 5, 2009
Rocky wrote:
College can teach you how to spell useful.
.....and also seem (as opposed to seam)!
Original resident

Shrewsbury, PA

#10 May 6, 2009
I am not sure if college can teach anyone how to spell. Some things have to be learned by a certain age. And I have known many educated illiterates (dexter manly)
Besides, all the young douches out there think "spell check" is the norm.....They dont realize that there was a time, long...long ..ago...back in good 'ol 1990 or so...that people actually knew how to spell..or at least use a dictionary.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#11 May 11, 2009
Someone wrote:
I'm not going to say what I do or where I work but I will tell you, the highest grade I completed was 8th grade.
Education does not mean a high pay check all the time. I didn't go to college and I never finished high school but I'm the highest paid employee at my company....know why? Because I'm needed and needed badly. You don't need an education all the time to be needed. Learn to make yourself needed and you can keep your job, unless the company folds!
It kills my co-workers when they find out I never finished high school and never went to college but I make twice the money they do.
College doesn't promise anything but more knowledge and more knowledge doesn't promise anything but knowing more.
Kids are lied to about how life is going to treat them once they are out of college. I couldn't tell you how many college graduates quit my line of work within the first couple years because they can't handle working their way to the top....it's funny to see these spoiled young adults waste their parents money.
And what is really sad is that they have this anticipation upon graduating that they are going to be marketable and able to get work. When they don't, there's that HUGE college debt to pay. Hey, you can't bleed a turnip. So what now.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#12 May 11, 2009
Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it normal to delete these comments?
I did write a detailed one here at one time. It's no longer here.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#13 May 11, 2009
Original resident wrote:
I am not sure if college can teach anyone how to spell. Some things have to be learned by a certain age. And I have known many educated illiterates (dexter manly)
Besides, all the young douches out there think "spell check" is the norm.....They dont realize that there was a time, long...long ..ago...back in good 'ol 1990 or so...that people actually knew how to spell..or at least use a dictionary.
That is interesting. I know a college grad with a bachelors and masters who doesn't spell very well. This person uses a spell check on computers; AND I want this understood--holds a HIGH PAYING JOB and is one of the most intelligent folks I know. This person has a memory that is amazing and insatiable curiosity- always reads.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#14 May 24, 2009
joe wrote:
College doesn't teach most people anything that is usefull anyway, most seam to have no common sense, can't read and understand what they just read, they are programed to be told what to think it seams.
It's just a big scam, I decided not to play into that one, the best decision I ever made, friends from high school cry to me that they went to college and I make so much more money than they do, oh waa so sad..
You are far better off actually being able to do something and think for yourself, and have something to offer an employer beside the big degree..
It DOES however help SOME who actually WANT a higher education and to think for themselves. There are some excellent profs out there and believe me, if some students start actually thinking for themselves and stop foolowing (deliberate misspelling) the party line and "politically correct" ideals; there is HOPE for this generation of young people yet.

Since: Sep 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jun 2, 2009
Dinah wrote:
<quoted text>
It DOES however help SOME who actually WANT a higher education and to think for themselves. There are some excellent profs out there and believe me, if some students start actually thinking for themselves and stop foolowing (deliberate misspelling) the party line and "politically correct" ideals; there is HOPE for this generation of young people yet.
Can I laugh at this? The fact is that the 'politically correct' ideal are being driven into children from a VERY early age, so there is little hope for them.
By the time they get into college, they have been brainwashed by the conservatives or liberals (depending on where they live) into believing some things that are not true and are just racism, sexism, ageism, etc.
Biggest thing they are brainwashed into believing in: RELIGION! I would much prefer that children were FORBIDDEN from setting foot in a church until they were 13 years old, old enough to realize how much bullshit the religions are trying to feed them.
Dinah

Triangle, VA

#16 Jun 2, 2009
Leria wrote:
<quoted text>
Can I laugh at this? The fact is that the 'politically correct' ideal are being driven into children from a VERY early age, so there is little hope for them.
By the time they get into college, they have been brainwashed by the conservatives or liberals (depending on where they live) into believing some things that are not true and are just racism, sexism, ageism, etc.
Biggest thing they are brainwashed into believing in: RELIGION! I would much prefer that children were FORBIDDEN from setting foot in a church until they were 13 years old, old enough to realize how much bullshit the religions are trying to feed them.
Sorry. I haven't seen the religious brainwashing yet. I'm talking about liberal philosophy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Astronomy: Columbus native helped verify NASA's... Jun 10 Contrarian 5
News Panel describes scourge of modern slavery Feb '16 JANICE 3
News Here are 8 reasons why a Bernie Sanders preside... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News How Woodrow Wilson Denied African-Americans an ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Big Knob 3
News Students want Woodrow Wilson's name removed fro... (Nov '15) Dec '15 Boo Boo 1961 2
News Pi, Pie or both? The choice is yours this Pi Day (Mar '15) Jul '15 Ferdo 18
News Early Push To Require The HPV Vaccine May Have ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 anothervoice 1
More from around the web