Scientist argues volcanoes killed dinosaurs

Dec 7, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MSNBC

Tens of thousands of years of lava flow from the Deccan Traps , a volcanic region near Mumbai in present-day India, may have spewed poisonous levels of sulfur and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and caused the mass extinction through the resulting global warming and ocean acidification, the research suggests.

Comments
1 - 20 of 37 Comments Last updated Dec 12, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

More complexity.........
//////////
From the article:
A meteorite impact also would not have produced enough toxic sulfur and carbon dioxide to match the levels seen in the rocks, so it may have worsened the mass extinction, but couldn't have caused it, she said.
"The meteorite is just too small to cause the extinction."
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

More accurately the global warming and cooling killed them.
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

An asteroid and a meteorite are distinct entities, despite the article (and the lead researcher) conflating them.
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

BuzzinFr0g wrote:
An asteroid and a meteorite are distinct entities, despite the article (and the lead researcher) conflating them.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/o...
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

“'QUANDARY'”

Since: Oct 12

Cheshire UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

BOLLOX!
The meteor killed them.
It was massive, as big as mount Everest. It devastated the Earth!!

“'QUANDARY'”

Cheshire UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ps... The echoes of this meteor strike are still being felt today....
65 million years later!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Coprolite1 wrote:
BOLLOX!
The meteor killed them.
It was massive, as big as mount Everest. It devastated the Earth!!
You really are fossilized shit, aren't you?

Wrong extinction, dimwit.

Dinosaur extinction was 65 MYA (Cretaceous–Paleogene)

THey are talking about the Permian–Triassic extinction event, about 251 MYA.

<sarcasm>
But what's 186 million years for a genius like you
</sarcasm>
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are fossilized shit, aren't you?
Wrong extinction, dimwit.
Dinosaur extinction was 65 MYA (Cretaceous–Paleogene)
THey are talking about the Permian–Triassic extinction event, about 251 MYA.
<sarcasm>
But what's 186 million years for a genius like you
</sarcasm>
No, they are talking about the K/T extinction. Even the "Dinosaur" headline is indicative of it pertaining to the one 65 million years ago. However, despite my prior post I see he referenced the Chicxulub impact as being a meteor strike instead of an asteroid, so he does need to brush up in that respect.
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

PHD wrote:
Yes, but if that's your viewpoint then I guess you also wouldn't say bullets kill people. It's the disruption of normal biological processes and systems that kill people. Let's extend that to the dinosaurs too. More accurately the dinosaurs died because of disrupted biological functions.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

BuzzinFr0g wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but if that's your viewpoint then I guess you also wouldn't say bullets kill people. It's the disruption of normal biological processes and systems that kill people. Let's extend that to the dinosaurs too. More accurately the dinosaurs died because of disrupted biological functions.
And as the bullets disrupted normal biological processes. Actually the person that couldn't move fast enough to dodge the bullets.

“'QUANDARY'”

Cheshire UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Piss off you load of childish cretins!

Meteor, asteroid, Coprolite, or bloody snot.....

If it was as big as mount Everest,
was traveling faster than a jet plane
and weighed more than all the buildings in the US...?

I think the Earth would have felt the blow........!
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ok biggist cretin show all your work and prove your statement.

“'QUANDARY'”

Cheshire UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
Ok biggist cretin show all your work and prove your statement.
Oh yes I'll spend the rest of the evening explaining myself to you....

Do you see any dinosaurs knocking about?

Do you deny there is a wobble in the giroscopic spin of the Earth?

Do you deny the K/T boundary?

WHAT (bloody) EVER!
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Coprolite1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes I'll spend the rest of the evening explaining myself to you....
Do you see any dinosaurs knocking about?
Do you deny there is a wobble in the giroscopic spin of the Earth?
Do you deny the K/T boundary?
WHAT (bloody) EVER!
Hey no need for hostility. It's just that the terminology does matter. And yes, an asteroid that was large and traveling fast enough to generate a 300km wide and 10km deep impact crater certainly was large enough to blanket the sky at a global level with dust for quite a while (just look at the much smaller scale Krakatao eruption in 1883 that affected climate for a few years).
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>And as the bullets disrupted normal biological processes.
That's exactly my point. We can keep increasing specificity but for most purposes it suffices to say that bullets can kill and an asteroidal collision wiped out the dinosaurs.
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Coprolite1 wrote:
Piss off you load of childish cretins!
Meteor, asteroid, Coprolite, or bloody snot.....
If it was as big as mount Everest,
was traveling faster than a jet plane
and weighed more than all the buildings in the US...?
I think the Earth would have felt the blow........!
Hey, no need for hostility. It's just that the terminology does matter. And yes, an asteroid that was large and traveling fast enough to generate a 300km wide and 10km deep impact crater certainly was large enough to blanket the sky at a global level with dust for quite a while (just look at the much smaller scale Krakatao eruption in 1883 that affected climate for a few years).
BuzzinFr0g

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Apologies for the double post but my initial quote was the wrong one.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

BuzzinFr0g wrote:
Apologies for the double post but my initial quote was the wrong one.
No needs to apology just show your own work. The dinosaurs are alive and well in smaller versions. Next time you’re out and about take a long hard look you will see them. So did the bullet,gun or person that didn't move fast enough get the blame for the death?

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Old info can also be useful here. In palaeontolgy journals thefossils in the red soils developed in the ~1000 years between eruptions are a handy ref.

The old (N.) deccan traps contain dinosaur bones & eggshells in the red soils between the flows.
The young (S.) deccan traps contain mammal bones & teeth in the red soils between the flows.

The intervening time would contain a flow produced as a result of the K/T impact @ Chixculub (~230Km diam). The seismic shock from that event would have broken every megathrust on Earth @ that time with the resulting induced rebound/long duration mercalli X quakes (r/lx) relaxing every tectonic plate on earth. The result would obviously have been an induced lava flow event which would have been average to thick depending on the relative interval time of accumulation of magma before the impact.

That flow would have been active for a few years to a decade as a pahoehoe flow province and likely a summit lava lake, and would itself have a large Os/Ir anomaly due to incorporation of dust fallout into the flow; (how about that one for timing!).

The simple fact of the matter is that although large the Deccan was similar to the basalt plateau provinces of Jurassic and early K and would have led to a generic winnowing process (ie. individual dinosaur genera becoming extinct and being replaced by newer genera derived from adaptable survivors).

The K/T impact however initially produced 6 months of darkness (wiping out the bulk of the marine plankton based food chain). This 6 months of darkness on land would have shut down the plant based food chain leaving only the detritivores saprobes, scavengers and their predators. This initial darkness phase would then clear to a haze effect as a result of dust in orbit, which would eventually clear out in classical manner via collision with the upper atmosphere,(would have looked pretty).

The result is the relative depletion of the plant based food chain for a relatively long period of time with shade resistant plants being the first to thrive.

The result is that animal recolonisation of the post impact earth would have been based around detritivores and food chain predation of a detritivore based food chain. The reason why Mammals and birds (related to dinos) survived is that they could tap into the detritivore based food chain, whereas the larger Dinos could not, and their food chain base was plant based, which was shut down by the dust veil effect.

The same effect led to extinction of large mammal genera during impacts at Cheaspeake (USA)~70Km diam, and Popigai (Siberia)~110Km diam, in the early Tertiary. The smaller mammals,(and birds) survived those two events.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Princeton University Discussions

Search the Princeton University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
India's lax antibiotic controls raise... Jul 24 Atul lukker 1
FHS mathematicians visit FSU for competition, l... Jul 5 Pajama People 2
Sotomayor: Affirmative action options don't work Jun '14 WeTheSheeple 13
Strange physics turns off laser Jun '14 Ogwa fortunate 8
Europe unfriendly to Muslims, Princeton scholar... (Apr '09) May '14 PATX 16
John Nash, Mathematician and Researcher (Mar '10) May '14 jaxcity545 4
Gettysburg College president to speak at Brown ... May '14 Just a thought 2
•••
•••