Smiley and West take Obama critique o...

Smiley and West take Obama critique on the road - AP

There are 15 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Jul 22, 2011, titled Smiley and West take Obama critique on the road - AP. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

AP National Writer= Black activists Cornel West and Tavis Smiley are planning a 15-city "Poverty Tour" to bring attention to the needy and to what they say are the failings of President Barack Obama.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

ZzzZzZzZz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Jul 22, 2011
Thank God someone is trying to help the black people against the democrats.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#2 Jul 23, 2011
ZzzZzZzZz wrote:
Thank God someone is trying to help the black people against the democrats.
Guess what? They're not doing if on behalf of the Republicans. Cornel West, whom I know personally, is convinced that BOTH parties are subservient to corporate money and interests, only with the Republicans it's more obvious. Less obvious, but just as real with Democrats.
Sorry, but Cornel West and Tavis Smiley are not new converts to the conservative cause.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Jul 24, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what? They're not doing if on behalf of the Republicans. Cornel West, whom I know personally, is convinced that BOTH parties are subservient to corporate money and interests, only with the Republicans it's more obvious. Less obvious, but just as real with Democrats.
Sorry, but Cornel West and Tavis Smiley are not new converts to the conservative cause.
I am not too familiar with Cornell West, however, I can't stand Tavis Smiley. Tavis was all gung ho for Obama until Obama (not wanting to appear partial) didn't attend his mega gathering (self promotion). This was the cause of a falling out between Tom Joyner and Tavis. Every since then, Tavis has been a vocal opponent of Obama and a self-proclaimed spokesperson for blacks. He doesn't speak for me and there's something sneaky and under-handed about the man. They may not have aligned themselves with the right, but they might as well have..

I agree that both parties have sold the American people down the river for corporate interests. This is not a racial issue but a social issue that all Americans should be concerned with.

What they fail to realize is that President Obama serves all Americans, not just one segment of it and as such, shouldn't be expected to give preferential treatment to the concerns and needs of just blacks. How hard is that to grasp? The entire country is suffering and as president, it is his job to be concerned with all Americans.

Tavis isn't interested in blacks or black causes. Tavis is interested in Tavis, the swine.
Nate Ziggas

United States

#4 Jul 24, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I applaud anyone that has the courage to stand up for America, especially inside the black intellectual community.

Conservationism, not republicans, is the only thing that can save the nation at this point and undo the economic damage the progressive policies have done to the black community over the last 3 years. Even a leftist like you must realize this by now.
Nate Ziggas

United States

#5 Jul 24, 2011
bappie wrote:
<quoted text>I am not too familiar with Cornell West, however, I can't stand Tavis Smiley. Tavis was all gung ho for Obama until Obama (not wanting to appear partial) didn't attend his mega gathering (self promotion). This was the cause of a falling out between Tom Joyner and Tavis. Every since then, Tavis has been a vocal opponent of Obama and a self-proclaimed spokesperson for blacks. He doesn't speak for me and there's something sneaky and under-handed about the man. They may not have aligned themselves with the right, but they might as well have..
I agree that both parties have sold the American people down the river for corporate interests. This is not a racial issue but a social issue that all Americans should be concerned with.
What they fail to realize is that President Obama serves all Americans, not just one segment of it and as such, shouldn't be expected to give preferential treatment to the concerns and needs of just blacks. How hard is that to grasp? The entire country is suffering and as president, it is his job to be concerned with all Americans.
Tavis isn't interested in blacks or black causes. Tavis is interested in Tavis, the swine.
You are represented by Nancy Pelosi, Barny Frank and Harry Reid.

Location hidden

#6 Jul 24, 2011
RACIST SCUM!
Nate Ziggas

United States

#7 Jul 24, 2011
bappie wrote:
RACIST SCUM!
Yes, Nancy Pelosi, Barny Frank and Harry Reid are. All progressive democrats are. That is why they treat black people like retarded children with affirmative action and think you guys can't survive if they cut 1 cent from the budget.
Nate Ziggas

United States

#9 Jul 24, 2011
bappie wrote:
<quoted text>Shove the affirmative action bs straight up your constipated ahole, you pos!
It is black people taking it up the arse from racist affirmative action policies.

Location hidden

#10 Jul 24, 2011
Nate Ziggas wrote:
<quoted text>
It is black people taking it up the arse from racist affirmative action policies.
Well you contradict yourself, because according to you whining beeatchs, it's you all that are cause you're not getting jobs you deserve.

So what is it, HYPOCRITE??? Why don't you take a break and change your DEPENDS!

oh _ ReaIIy _ __

“Shove your "Warnings"”

Since: Jul 11

where da sun don't shine....

#11 Jul 24, 2011
Leftist reactionary's response to the truth about a situation....
[QUOTE who="..."]RACIST SCUM![/QUOTE]
lol....Aren't Smiley and West both black?
Then, by prevailing logic,...they can't BE racist. Someone needs to make up her "mind", and stop being such a Hippo Crate.....

Baltimore, Md.

#12 Jul 24, 2011
Nate Ziggas wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. Inadequate as Affirmative Action measures are, they not actually harmed Black folks, and some Blacks have benefitted from them.
Now some whites, who have feeling of status anxiety--but who had NO objections so long as Affrimative Action was WHITE--now howl and scream as never before. But the world is changing.
And as James Baldwin once wrote: "This world is white no longer, and it will never be white again."
White privilege is on its death bed. Get used to a more egalitarian world. Short of fascism, you can't stop it.

Baltimore, Md.

#13 Jul 24, 2011
oh _ ReaIIy ___ wrote:
Leftist reactionary's response to the truth about a situation....
<quoted text>
lol....Aren't Smiley and West both black?
Then, by prevailing logic,...they can't BE racist. Someone needs to make up her "mind", and stop being such a Hippo Crate.....
As usual, OhReally understands nothing. The critique of Obama coming from Cornel West is different from the anti-Obama rage within the mainly white (and largely racist) right wing.

But given his limited mental faculties I will not waste time trying to explain the obvious distinctions to Dr. Dizzy Doufus OhReally.
Nate Ziggas

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Jul 24, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. Inadequate as Affirmative Action measures are, they not actually harmed Black folks, and some Blacks have benefitted from them.
Now some whites, who have feeling of status anxiety--but who had NO objections so long as Affrimative Action was WHITE--now howl and scream as never before. But the world is changing.
And as James Baldwin once wrote: "This world is white no longer, and it will never be white again."
White privilege is on its death bed. Get used to a more egalitarian world. Short of fascism, you can't stop it.
The reality is that any program which shows preference for another group is racist and breeds animosity along the majority along with mediocrity among the favoured group. This has most certainly held the black community down since it was implemented.
Savant wrote:
"Get used to a more egalitarian world. Short of fascism, you can't stop it"
Egalitarianism is a leftist pipe dream. No two people on this planet are equal, so the only way to achieve your goal is enforced communism. Not the makings of a very happy society.
Nate Ziggas

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Jul 24, 2011
bappie wrote:
<quoted text>Well you contradict yourself, because according to you whining beeatchs, it's you all that are cause you're not getting jobs you deserve.
So what is it, HYPOCRITE??? Why don't you take a break and change your DEPENDS!
Do you really not understand that the current leftist social engineering projects are keeping black people ignorant and dependent on big government?
Nate Ziggas

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Jul 24, 2011
Savant wrote:
White privilege is on its death bed.
White privilege is yet another leftist pipe dream in a country with a black president. It does help explain away the failure of all the 'helpful' programs they have designed for the black community though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US citizenship applications surge following Tru... Dec '16 Ridiculous 2
News Doubts raised about relocating American embassy... Nov '16 Jeff Brightone 1
News Weird science: 3 win Nobel physics prize for un... Oct '16 Cromagnon Man 5
News Stiff and oxygen-deprived tumors promote spread... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Princeton honors memory of 'Mind' mathematician... Aug '16 Actual Science 1
News Words you can't use at Princeton: Mankind, manp... (Aug '16) Aug '16 JCK 1
News Happy Birthday, Sonia Sotomayor, First Hispanic... (Feb '13) Jul '16 swedenforever 5
More from around the web