Md. schools join debate on underage d...

Md. schools join debate on underage drinking

There are 5 comments on the www.delmarvanow.com story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Md. schools join debate on underage drinking. In it, www.delmarvanow.com reports that:

Earlier this week, legislators, safety and health advocates chided the college and university presidents who signed a statement to open a new discussion on the legal drinking age.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.delmarvanow.com.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Aug 24, 2008
Whether the laws are on the books or not, some will choose to consume alcohol," Wicomico County State's Attorney Davis Ruark said. "I see no reason to go back into that experiment given its failure.

How's that dui charge coming?
Snow Hill Local

Haymarket, VA

#2 Aug 24, 2008
I say that college students taking a full course load with a gpa of 3.0 or above, should be allowed to drink. This will encourage more young adults to go to college and maintain a good (not great) academic standing. If they over drink, their grades will suffer and they'll lose their privilege to drink. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

Location hidden

#3 Aug 24, 2008
What about the 18 year olds in military?
Snow Hill Local wrote:
I say that college students taking a full course load with a gpa of 3.0 or above, should be allowed to drink. This will encourage more young adults to go to college and maintain a good (not great) academic standing. If they over drink, their grades will suffer and they'll lose their privilege to drink. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.
Snow Hill Local

Haymarket, VA

#4 Aug 24, 2008
I haven't been in the military to be able to comment on all the different levels of involvement, but certainly if someone is on active duty and in good standing, they should be allowed to drink. If you are adult enough to fight, you should certainly be adult enough to drink. I don't think being in boot-camp is enough to warrant the privilege of drinking, but I'm sure some one more well versed could come up with appropriate criteria. Much the same way that a first semester college student hasn't proven themselves yet.

Mostly this comes down to rewarding good behavior with a privilege that seems to be highly sought after by young adults. And hopefully by them proving they are taking on adult responsibilities in other areas, they will also drink responsibly.

Of course, they could also go the other way and be the local State's Attorney, but we have to start trusting them sometime and just hope for the best.

Location hidden

#5 Aug 28, 2008
They don't have the time or the liberty to drink while in boot camp. In advanced training they have more time and liberty to do so. I agree.
Snow Hill Local wrote:
I haven't been in the military to be able to comment on all the different levels of involvement, but certainly if someone is on active duty and in good standing, they should be allowed to drink. If you are adult enough to fight, you should certainly be adult enough to drink. I don't think being in boot-camp is enough to warrant the privilege of drinking, but I'm sure some one more well versed could come up with appropriate criteria. Much the same way that a first semester college student hasn't proven themselves yet.
Mostly this comes down to rewarding good behavior with a privilege that seems to be highly sought after by young adults. And hopefully by them proving they are taking on adult responsibilities in other areas, they will also drink responsibly.
Of course, they could also go the other way and be the local State's Attorney, but we have to start trusting them sometime and just hope for the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Park University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Program aims to attract black males into teaching (Jul '14) Jul '14 Drilling for the ... 2
News Young, nonprofit CEO carries on King legacy (Jan '13) Jan '13 Da Old Fool troll... 8
News Kurdish Pride Gang members, brothers found guilty (Aug '08) Dec '12 Cashville Bound 85
News Eastern Orthodox Lose Two Evangelical Bridges (Aug '12) Aug '12 Edy Bateesie 1
News Plum Alum Sing for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (Jul '12) Jul '12 curious_cat83 1
News Russia native teaches information security in A... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Lukashenko is Dr ... 2
News 103-year-old papers found inside wall (Sep '10) Sep '10 yernogoood- 60
More from around the web