Student arrested in Oregon dog dispute

Jul 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Kansas City Star

Police arrested an Oregon State University student who has refused to return a dog she found last year to its original owner.Twenty-year-old Jordan Biggs was booked into a Corvallis jail on a theft charge Friday and later released.Biggs has said she found the dog earlier this year in Portland and then took him with her to Corvallis after failing to ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Hope she gets to keep the dog. Yes, I guess I am judging the prior owner, I can't say he was abusive as is claimed, but I can say he was neglectful allowing the dog to roam free without tags. That the dog had no vet records while with him further speaks of neglectful abuse at least. The fact he failed to run news ads in search of his missing dog shows a lack of concern deep enough to reach his pocket.

If canine justice is fair, the dog will be allowed to chose.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

If the allegations are true, the man should forfeit his rights to own the dog.
Jesus Latter Day Taints

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Never mind the abuse allegations, if you don't have a microchip or a dog license or a vet reference or a receipt for the dog from a breeder or shelter then in what legal sense can you be said to own the dog?

I don't see how acquaintances seeing you with the dog in your house or seeing you with it about town absent these other legal obligations of owners being fulfilled can be enough to establish legal ownership.

_Then_ you add in the the abuse claims....

I hope she gets to keep Bear.
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Unless the owner is proven unfit, the dog's gotta go back.

There's a truth to be found here, and if the owner's proven beyond reason to be an asshole, well then the dog needs to be protected.
If not, it's his dog.
None of you would want to lose your pet based of untrue allegations.
Jesus Latter Day Taints

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Dr Stinko wrote:
There's a truth to be found here, and if the owner's proven beyond reason to be an asshole, well then the dog needs to be protected.
If not, it's his dog.
What do you mean "your" pet? There ought to be a question of ownership here even before the question of abuse.

And having a dog running around loose is abuse. Moreso without id tags and a license and a rabies shot tag.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

This is the end to a judge judy case where something similar happened...someone 'found' a dog and decided to keep it. this is the happy reunion of dog and original owner, can't find the entire episode. very sweet.

My dog never leaves my home unless on a leash.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Jesus Latter Day Taints wrote:
Never mind the abuse allegations, if you don't have a microchip or a dog license or a vet reference or a receipt for the dog from a breeder or shelter then in what legal sense can you be said to own the dog?
I don't see how acquaintances seeing you with the dog in your house or seeing you with it about town absent these other legal obligations of owners being fulfilled can be enough to establish legal ownership.
_Then_ you add in the the abuse claims....
I hope she gets to keep Bear.
Dog's often have their own unique personalities and they do have memories of others who have met the dog. Unless the dpg is of a solid color, photographic evidence could also be used. Apparently, in this case, there appeared to be enough evidence to indicate that the man was the rightful owner.

If the man abused the dog in any way, depending on applicable laws, he could be forced to forfeit ownership of the dog.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Dr Stinko wrote:
If not, it's his dog.
You are right. These are only allegations right now, but if they are substantiated, he deserves to lose the dog.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Jesus Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean "your" pet? There ought to be a question of ownership here even before the question of abuse.
And having a dog running around loose is abuse. Moreso without id tags and a license and a rabies shot tag.
Not all dogs who get loose do it because the owner allowed thaem to roam free. Years ago, I had a dog who should have been named Houdini. He was always trying to escape. He once scaled a six foot high chain link fence and another time broke through a screen door to get out. We don't know for sure that there was no ID on the dog as the one who found the dog could have disposed of the ID. Eventually, we had to give the dog to the ASPCA because of his incorrigibility and he also escaped from there.

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Jordan should submit to the courts the bills for the last years care, food & lodging, vet etc...she can't recover the training bills however. That would offer how serious the guy is about obtaining his dog.
If she has proof she contacted the local pound and they did not receive any requests from someone that had lost a dog I think there is some law that they own the dog after that. Not sure if they have to actually have it in their possession for that to happen..

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

justaguess wrote:
Jordan should submit to the courts the bills for the last years care, food & lodging, vet etc...she can't recover the training bills however. That would offer how serious the guy is about obtaining his dog.
If she has proof she contacted the local pound and they did not receive any requests from someone that had lost a dog I think there is some law that they own the dog after that. Not sure if they have to actually have it in their possession for that to happen..
You may have a point.
Christian Taliban

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Not all dogs who get loose do it because the owner allowed thaem to roam free.
Hey moron, I thought the articles of this case indicated the man permitted the dog to roam around.

As usual your blatherings have nothing to do with reality.
Christian Taliban

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Unless the dpg is of a solid color, photographic evidence could also be used. Apparently, in this case, there appeared to be enough evidence to indicate that the man was the rightful owner.
Hey stupid homophobe, anyone who read my post could realize I was not contesting that this dog lived with this man for a time.

I was contesting the idea that that constitutes the legal requirements of "ownership."

"Owners" have certain responsibilities - such as rabies shots and tags, licenses.

There are many contexts in which a transfer of money or a receipt for transfer of goods must be produced or there's no merit assigned. An example would be rent receipts. So that was another in a variety of ways to attack the notion that this man was an "owner" to begin with. How did he obtain the dog in the first place? Maybe he stole it from some responsible, prior owner for all we know.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

justaguess wrote:
Perfect solution. See if he wants to cough up the money to recover his dog. He sure hasn't spent a dime on health care or lost and found ads until now. Responsible ownership is not free and so far he's been tight with his money. Unless,... he actually "hired" a lawyer instead of filing free suit and representing himself. I might be moved by that.

“New & Improved..”

Formerly From Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>You may have a point.
Not sure exactly, not practicing law over here but I think if the pound gains rights to euthanize by law, at that point they also have the ability to chose a new owner...

we'll see how this one plays..

“New & Improved..”

Formerly From Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect solution. See if he wants to cough up the money to recover his dog. He sure hasn't spent a dime on health care or lost and found ads until now. Responsible ownership is not free and so far he's been tight with his money. Unless,... he actually "hired" a lawyer instead of filing free suit and representing himself. I might be moved by that.
It would be really weird if the guy hired a lawyer to fight for ownership I think, at this point...Since he didn't even file a report of the dog missing a year ago.....who knows....people get strange when they think there is something in it for them...
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>You are right. These are only allegations right now, but if they are substantiated, he deserves to lose the dog.
Exactly.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Christian Taliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey moron, I thought the articles of this case indicated the man permitted the dog to roam around.
As usual your blatherings have nothing to do with reality.
Nothing was said in the article that the man willfully allowed the god to run at large. You have your morons mixed up. You have balathered about something that was never even said in the article. You assume too much as in making an ASSofUandME (mainly you).

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

justaguess wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure exactly, not practicing law over here but I think if the pound gains rights to euthanize by law, at that point they also have the ability to chose a new owner...
we'll see how this one plays..
You are likely correct, but in this case, I would say that due to the special circumstances, namely that the original owner's fitness to own the dog is being disputed, that would not come into play until a final determination is made of the allegations.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

Christian Taliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid homophobe, anyone who read my post could realize I was not contesting that this dog lived with this man for a time.
I was contesting the idea that that constitutes the legal requirements of "ownership."
"Owners" have certain responsibilities - such as rabies shots and tags, licenses.
There are many contexts in which a transfer of money or a receipt for transfer of goods must be produced or there's no merit assigned. An example would be rent receipts. So that was another in a variety of ways to attack the notion that this man was an "owner" to begin with. How did he obtain the dog in the first place? Maybe he stole it from some responsible, prior owner for all we know.
Before you go picking my posts apart, reread the article. There is no evidence that the owner deliberately allowed the dog to run loose. I never intentionally allow dogs to run loose. but I have had dogs sneak out on me including one who could not be deterred by tall chain link fences.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••