Global warming "hiatus" in recent years helps spur skepticism

Apr 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Oregonian

For those who want more action on global warming, an inconvenient truth has arisen over the last decade: Annual average temperatures stayed relatively flat globally -- and dropped in the United States and Oregon -- despite mankind's growing release of greenhouse gases.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of137
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 10, 2012
 

Judged:

6

6

4

There has been no 'hiatus' in AGW. One study (CRU) had a known flaw that it poorly modeled the polar regions. This has been fixed.

But this has nothing to do with the REALITY of AGW which continued unabated.

The only other claim of 'stalled agw' is based on cherry picking of the La_Nina peak in 1998. Bad science and of no relevance.

This reference seems to be more of the 'big lie' pattern by the denialists and their corporate funders who think that repetition will make crap convincing. It worked for them..

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 11, 2012
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Erm, excuse me, Mr Thermal Pollutant and Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty, the article is about Glowbull warming, not AGW or polar warming specifically.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 11, 2012
 

Judged:

7

7

5

The natural factors that influence climate were all negative over the past decade: temperatures should have gone down.

The fact that they went up at all shows that something is warming the planet.

http://tamino.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/decada...

The science says that it's CO2 causing the warming, that the world is still getting warmer, and that there will be new temperature records soon.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/prediction-ne...

Deniers said sea level rise stopped in 2006, Arctic ice melt stopped in 2007, and global warming stopped in 2001.

Each of these claims has or will be shown to be false and based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Warming hasn't stopped.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 11, 2012
 

Judged:

7

7

6

Fair Game wrote:
The natural factors that influence climate were all negative over the past decade: temperatures should have gone down.
You guys make it up as you go along.
Fair Game wrote:
The fact that they went up at all shows that something is warming the planet.
Your argument is a little late. Your precious models should have predicted the events of the last decade. They didn't. Your models haven't a clue as to what is really going to happen.
Fair Game wrote:
Models can't predict the eleven year solar cycles? And they can't predict ENSO? What can they predict besides what their creators want them to?
Fair Game wrote:
The science says that it's CO2 causing the warming, that the world is still getting warmer, and that there will be new temperature records soon.
I'd bet it's going to continue to warm up too. It just that there's no evidence for the catastrophic claims your side poops out adnauseum.
Fair Game wrote:
When you read the summary it's obvious that they are whistling in the dark and haven't a clue.
Fair Game wrote:
Deniers said sea level rise stopped in 2006,
Well that's not true, but sea level has not been accelerating over the last 20 years. Here's a discussion/presentation on that topic by your side of the coin:
http://www.aviso.oceanobs.com/fileadmin/docum...
Fair Game wrote:
Deniers said ... Arctic ice melt stopped in 2007, and global warming stopped in 2001.
You're cherry picking a few on my side of the coin who don't understand the value of being objective and honest.
Fair Game wrote:
Each of these claims has or will be shown to be false and based on nothing but wishful thinking.
Warming hasn't stopped.
And on your side of the coin empirical evidence is showing us that the scare of catastrophic disaster is a paper tiger.
ORBLWS

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 12, 2012
 

Judged:

6

6

6

1. It does not matter what anyone thinks.

2. It is happening. It is caused by man.

3. There is nothing we can do about it.

4. So there.

PS. It is coming on much faster than we think.
ORBLWS

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 12, 2012
 

Judged:

7

7

6

The reason rightwingers go hand in hand with creationism and deniers is that an empty, lazy brain is easy to fill with junk.

"U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history, NOAA reports
April 09, 2012|By Sean Morris, CNN Meteorologist

New Yorkers take in the warm sunshine on the first day of spring. March will go down as the warmest one on record.

March 2012 will go down as the warmest March in the United States since record-keeping began in 1895, NOAA said Monday."

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 12, 2012
 

Judged:

7

7

6

FuGyou wrote:
Warming hasn't stopped.
At least that's something to be grateful for.
OregonSucks

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Nothing ever happens in Oregon. This forum is just another piece of the proof puzzle.

Oregon has the worst neighbors ever.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

5

5

5

This article says so much about the poor state of journalistic coverage of climate in an age when shrinking newspapers have shed all their scientific reporters.

1) The reporter starts with the premise that 1998 was the peak year for global temperature, which we now know to be untrue; 2005 and 2010 were tied for the peak, and 1998 was inaccurately called that by faulty HADCRUT data that left out severe Arctic and continental warming simply because CRU couldn't afford monitoring stations in those areas. Why didn't the reporter use more accurate NASA data? Possibly because an energy industry lobbyist got a lie rolling, scoring a hit with an uninformed reporter?

2) Measuring off the peak of an extreme one-year temperature spike is crappy science to say the least. The moving average continues to trend upward despite occasional spikes up and down. Why hide this? Because someone with an agenda wants it hidden, no doubt.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Nauseous wrote:
This article says so much about the poor state of journalistic coverage of climate
But not half as much as your posts.
OregunSux

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

6

6

6

It does not matter. The deniers will dry up in the heat just like the rest of us.

Stupidity, ignorance and right wing bile will not provide personal air conditioning.
Housain Obama sucks

Adelanto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 22, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Ted Nugent is America. Ted Nugent Rocks. FU Obama!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 22, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

FuGyou wrote:
Warming hasn't stopped.
//////////
'steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling' wrote:
At least that's something to be grateful for.
//////////
litesong wrote:
Once you die, your body will still cool off.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Atmospheric CO2 continues to rise.
Probably "At an alarming rate."
Glowbull warming, not so much.
AGW scepticism is on the rise.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

ORBLWS wrote:
1. It does not matter what anyone thinks.
2. It is happening. It is caused by man.
3. There is nothing we can do about it.
4. So there.
PS. It is coming on much faster than we think.
Care to support the claim that it is caused by man.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

ORBLWS wrote:
The reason rightwingers go hand in hand with creationism and deniers is that an empty, lazy brain is easy to fill with junk.
"U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history, NOAA reports
April 09, 2012|By Sean Morris, CNN Meteorologist
New Yorkers take in the warm sunshine on the first day of spring. March will go down as the warmest one on record.
March 2012 will go down as the warmest March in the United States since record-keeping began in 1895, NOAA said Monday."
Funny, but it seems alarmist are the heads filled with the junk science of climate change. March might of been warm but April is seeing snow and colder temperatures.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

6

6

5

Northie wrote:
This article says so much about the poor state of journalistic coverage of climate in an age when shrinking newspapers have shed all their scientific reporters.
1) The reporter starts with the premise that 1998 was the peak year for global temperature, which we now know to be untrue; 2005 and 2010 were tied for the peak, and 1998 was inaccurately called that by faulty HADCRUT data that left out severe Arctic and continental warming simply because CRU couldn't afford monitoring stations in those areas. Why didn't the reporter use more accurate NASA data? Possibly because an energy industry lobbyist got a lie rolling, scoring a hit with an uninformed reporter?
2) Measuring off the peak of an extreme one-year temperature spike is crappy science to say the least. The moving average continues to trend upward despite occasional spikes up and down. Why hide this? Because someone with an agenda wants it hidden, no doubt.
Here's NASA/GISS data.
2010 as compared to 1998, 2010 was .04*C warmer than 1998.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

Here's 2005,.03*C warmer than 1998.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

The graphics do indicate warming in the arctic and antarctic, but not much warming everywhere else. Scroll down below the graphic for the chart of warming by latitude. If it weren't for the poles we'd have no warming at all.

Remember we don't have much in the way historical info on the poles.

Here's 2010 as compared to 1881, the grey areas are areas of no reporting.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

Fast forward 30 years, still not much in temps for the poles.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

1941, a little more in the arctic, still nothing in the antarctic.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

1951, a little info from antarctica.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

The NASA/GISS are stated in terms of anomalies to an average. The time period they use is 1951 to 1980, it is depicted on this graph by the blue line. It was warmer before this period, and warmer after this period, so why did they chose this 30 years.

2010 compared to 1951 thru 1980

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

2010 compared to 1881 thru 2010
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

It's warmed up .58*C since the average of 1951 to 1980 and it has warmed up .56*C since the average of 1881 to 2011. A little more than one half a degree in 130 years and most of that from the arctic and antarctic from which we do not have temp records for the entire period.

We really don't have much int he way of temp records. Here's 2011 as compared to 1881. Lots of grey areas.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Forgot the Wood for trees graph

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/gistemp/from...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Atmospheric CO2 continues to rise.
Probably "At an alarming rate."
Glowbull warming, not so much.
AGW scepticism is on the rise.
RightWing is Evil

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 25, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

3

March: hottest March in the US since records have been kept.

The evil of the rightwing is out to destroy human civilization.

This is the work of the Godless.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of137
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••