Charges Expected in Gay FAMU Drum Major's Hazing Death

May 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

When prosecutors announce criminal charges Wednesday in the hazing death of a Florida A&M University band member, they will embark on a legal chess game involving multiple defendants who require different approaches for winning convictions, experts say.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated May 2, 2012

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

I read in the lamestream media that his parents have said that his death was not motivated by the fact that he was gay.

Gay people do sometimes die. or are murdered, unrelated to the fact that they are gay.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

FaFoxy wrote:
I read in the lamestream media that his parents have said that his death was not motivated by the fact that he was gay.
Gay people do sometimes die. or are murdered, unrelated to the fact that they are gay.
But why trust that information if it came from the "lamestream" media?

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
But why trust that information if it came from the "lamestream" media?
Well, I generally don't trust the lamestream meadia, but have you read anywhere that his death was motivated by him being gay ?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

FaFoxy wrote:
Well, I generally don't trust the lamestream meadia, but have you read anywhere that his death was motivated by him being gay ?
I just turned my computer on this morning, I haven't read anything anywhere. But if I read it in a format that I considered "lamestream", I wouldn't be QUOTING it in the same sentence. I don't even know why someone would read ANYTHING from a source they didn't trust.

How stupid would I sound if I said, "Here's what I read in a source I consider untrustworthy, biased, and incompetent"? Why would anyone want my opinion on what I've read, if I don't even trust the source myself?

"Lamestream" is just such a stupid slang term. It's used by people who want to bash the media for not leaning their political direction, while those same people make extensive use of that very same media for their own purposes.

It just seems that, if you think the media is "lame", then you should disavow it altogether, and NEVER quote it, rather than just quoting it when it's convenient and retaining the freedom to disparage it at the same time.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

Robert Champion is dead. How is there any question whether someone is guilty of manslaughter (or murder)? Why is there any question about how aware the killers were of how much distress Champion was under?

People can be charged with manslaughter when they had no intent to hurt others in any way, nor any reason to think that their actions were likely to hurt someone.

Clearly, these students intended to hurt their fellow band member. The fact that they underestimated the level of hurt they were causing is not exculpatory.

The only problem is to determine which students were culpable.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I just turned my computer on this morning, I haven't read anything anywhere. But if I read it in a format that I considered "lamestream", I wouldn't be QUOTING it in the same sentence. I don't even know why someone would read ANYTHING from a source they didn't trust.
How stupid would I sound if I said, "Here's what I read in a source I consider untrustworthy, biased, and incompetent"? Why would anyone want my opinion on what I've read, if I don't even trust the source myself?
"Lamestream" is just such a stupid slang term. It's used by people who want to bash the media for not leaning their political direction, while those same people make extensive use of that very same media for their own purposes.
It just seems that, if you think the media is "lame", then you should disavow it altogether, and NEVER quote it, rather than just quoting it when it's convenient and retaining the freedom to disparage it at the same time.
But isn't it better than his usual sources?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Nova Southeastern University Discussions

Search the Nova Southeastern University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Definitive Stoughton School Committee Debat... (Apr '13) Jun '14 Kundrot dionkie 11
Can a hashtag offer any help to abducted girls? May '14 ft 2
Florida, U.S. college students endure degrees o... (Mar '13) Mar '14 Vonni 2
Western Albemarle High School Names New Principal (Apr '13) Jun '13 scott 2
Martin County Good for You March 25 (Mar '13) Mar '13 Buckethead 1
Dr. Leland Moore Lone Finalist For Quitman ISD ... (Mar '09) Sep '12 Jo Allison 9
Inspirational messages bill sure to spur lawsuits (Mar '12) Mar '12 DaveinMass 1
•••
•••