Troy Davis execution fuels eyewitness...

Troy Davis execution fuels eyewitness ID debate

There are 24 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Sep 27, 2011, titled Troy Davis execution fuels eyewitness ID debate. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

Before he was executed in Georgia last week, Troy Davis brought worldwide attention to his case by challenging the trustworthiness of bystanders who said they saw him shoot a police officer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Sep 27, 2011
Did an eye witness find the bloody pants in his mom's laundry room? There might should be an eye witness debate but not because of Davis.
Getflushed

San Jose, CA

#2 Sep 27, 2011
34 people put him at the scene of the carnage. Several were his friends, who identified him as the shooter. Leftists have historically inflamed ignorant emotion and self-destructive societal challenges. The problem is Leftists, not a sound application of justice.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#4 Sep 27, 2011
if there was a shadow of a doubt, it would have come out during one of the MANY appeals...
Lance Winslow

Orinda, CA

#5 Sep 27, 2011
carey529 wrote:
if there was a shadow of a doubt, it would have come out during one of the MANY appeals...
It did.
Robert

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Sep 27, 2011
carey529 wrote:
It is reasonable doubt and I guess you could make the argument that he was present as a party to the crime but one of his buddies actually pulled the trigger and he got blood on his pants because he was there.

If you want to argue against the death penalty there are better cases where we executed someone we know is innocent.
Getflushed

San Jose, CA

#7 Sep 27, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
It is reasonable doubt and I guess you could make the argument that he was present as a party to the crime but one of his buddies actually pulled the trigger and he got blood on his pants because he was there.
If you want to argue against the death penalty there are better cases where we executed someone we know is innocent.
He was seen and identified as standing over the policeman, pumping more bullets into the victim's body and smiling about it. Many people specifically identified him as the perp, who had also shot another Black man. Later, Communist inspired rabble, who depend on this type of violence for political power and some even rejoice in the murder of police officers, repeated ignorant rants of "reasonable doubt."

usa

#8 Sep 27, 2011
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>It did.
and THAT'S why the state AND federal supreme court wouldn't touch it...?
right, lance?

usa

#9 Sep 27, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
and YOU know it was the "buddy"?
how?

were you there?

btw, i'm very much in favor of the death penalty.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Sep 27, 2011
Seven of the nine eyewitnesses recanted their testimony. One of them actually confessed to committing the crime. Move along, nothing to see here.
five-one

Tampa, FL

#12 Sep 27, 2011
So what was he claiming?Those people didn*t see me kill the cop?
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Sep 27, 2011
No, seven recanted their testimony. What does communism have to do with it. Your post isn't even coherent.
Getflushed wrote:
<quoted text>
Five of the seven didn't actually recant... did not alter their basic testimony. Only two of the seven fundamentally changed their testimony and were his friends, after twenty years, paid and manipulated by Communists. That's why the many appeals, two to the Supreme Court, failed. The Supreme Court gave him an unprecedented opportunity to prove his innocence, during which he and his attorneys chose NOT to bring forth ANY of the apparent "recanters"... HIS choice.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Sep 27, 2011
Sure, and OJ was innocent.
carey529 wrote:

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#15 Sep 27, 2011
Those of you that believe aby of the claptrap up out on behalf of Davis need to spend a bit of time in the real world and read the actual court case history. ESPECIALLY the 2010 US District Cour review of the case and the decision ordered by the US Supreme Court.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Sep 27, 2011
Now I get it. You're a crazy republicunt.
Getflushed wrote:
<quoted text>
Communists lead Leftist rabble around by the nose and is the ONLY reason this issue got any traction with loons... The same thing Communists did with the Scottsboro Boys and several other examples in the last hundred years. Hell, there's still crazies out there thinking the Rosenbergs weren't guilty.
We can't all be on the same wave length all the time, so I forgive you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Sep 27, 2011
Bill----- wrote:
Those of you that believe aby of the claptrap up out on behalf of Davis need to spend a bit of time in the real world and read the actual court case history. ESPECIALLY the 2010 US District Cour review of the case and the decision ordered by the US Supreme Court.
As someone who is anti-dp (but not particularly interested in the innocence issue), I agree with Bill: Troy Davis is not the kind of "innocence case" on which the anti-cp people ought to risk their credibility. Sadly for Mr. Davis and his supporters, it doesn't take a lot of digging to get below the '7 out of 9 witnesses recanted', right down to that pesky physical evidence that only wasn't there because it resulted from an illegal search and therefore was excluded.

For those interested, the opinion Bill mentions is here: http://tinyurl.com/448k9xq

I further agree with the comments in other threads that it is regrettable that the execution of Mr. Davis received an enormous amount of attention, compared to that of Mr. Brewer. While I understand that the difference can be in part explained by the innocence claim in Mr. Davis' case, this is only a partial explanation, and it saddens me that the anti-dp groups appeared to find, in Mr. Brewer, the one prisoner they felt comfortable abandoning.

Anyway...

When it comes to the issue of the death penalty, I wish the anti-dp groups would decide to be against it on principle, and in all cases, and not give priority to cases with claims of innocence that, often as not, have to be revised to something... well, much less compelling.
NYC Dem

United States

#20 Sep 27, 2011
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>It did.
...gfy dh

usa

#21 Sep 27, 2011
NYC Dem wrote:
<quoted text>...gfy dh
you're probably going to have to spell that out for lance.

usa

#22 Sep 27, 2011
Bill----- wrote:
if it doesn't fit their preconceived belief, it won't matter what's in the review...
truth, facts, common sense, logic ... all meaningless to the die hard progressive...
davy and lance pretty much prove that.
DENG

Nanjing, China

#23 Sep 27, 2011
THE UNITED STATES GOVENMENT IS USED TO KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#24 Sep 27, 2011
Sumie wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who is anti-dp (but not particularly interested in the innocence issue), I agree with Bill: Troy Davis is not the kind of "innocence case" on which the anti-cp people ought to risk their credibility. Sadly for Mr. Davis and his supporters, it doesn't take a lot of digging to get below the '7 out of 9 witnesses recanted', right down to that pesky physical evidence that only wasn't there because it resulted from an illegal search and therefore was excluded.
For those interested, the opinion Bill mentions is here: http://tinyurl.com/448k9xq
I further agree with the comments in other threads that it is regrettable that the execution of Mr. Davis received an enormous amount of attention, compared to that of Mr. Brewer. While I understand that the difference can be in part explained by the innocence claim in Mr. Davis' case, this is only a partial explanation, and it saddens me that the anti-dp groups appeared to find, in Mr. Brewer, the one prisoner they felt comfortable abandoning.
Anyway...
When it comes to the issue of the death penalty, I wish the anti-dp groups would decide to be against it on principle, and in all cases, and not give priority to cases with claims of innocence that, often as not, have to be revised to something... well, much less compelling.
Thanks for the link, I lost my shortcut and have not had time to look it up again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwestern University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christ... (Jun '09) Jun 20 Marie R 74
News Kids born 'late' perform better in elementary a... Jun 7 LineDazzle 3
News Illinois withdraws from federal immigration pro... (May '11) Jun 2 Teresa W 2
News Yale OKs gender-neutral bathrooms, joining 150+... May '16 Three Days Paleo 1
News Muslim woman claiming anti-Islam bigotry story ... (Jun '15) May '16 Three Days Paleo 4
News Discovery: The Moment Of Conception Marked By S... May '16 Three Days 1
News Drug Abuse More Prevalent Among Whites Than Afr... Apr '16 Redefined 2
More from around the web