Antidepressants linked to major personality changes

Dec 7, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Los Angeles Times

Antidepressant medications taken by roughly 7% of American adults cause profound personality changes in many patients with depression, far beyond simply lifting the veil of sadness, a study has found.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

Judged:

Try murder, violence and suicide.

“Honorary Squirrel Buster”

Since: Apr 07

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

HumanSpirit wrote:
Try murder, violence and suicide.
You didn't even read the first two paragraphs.

"Researchers saw strong drops in neuroticism and increases in extroversion in patients taking antidepressants, two of five traits thought to define personality and shape a person's day-to-day thoughts and behavior."

What happened to your account HS? Banned for incessant spamming?
btdt

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

I have been reading the promos for porzac the daddy of all these drugs Prozac and all the newer antidepressants are doing EXACTLY what they were created to do Change personalities. I don't think you can call this a side effect when it is exactly what it is was to be doing. Seems funny to me that is missed in the promo for the new drugs when it was the focus of prozac promotion when it first came out.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

these are really good to reduce depression otherwise if you get more different personality than yours or as you are using these you can not see who you are exactly. I think people who are stresfull should try another ways.
btdt

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

http://www.johnvirapen.com/...
check this link think again

“Alpha Omega”

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

btdt wrote:
http://www.johnvirapen.com/?p= 107
check this link think again
Virapen has the credentials and should know what he's talking about. I wouldn't take this stuff on a bet. No way!
Good link. Thanks!
HumanSpirit

Melrose, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Red Pill wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't even read the first two paragraphs.
"Researchers saw strong drops in neuroticism and increases in extroversion in patients taking antidepressants, two of five traits thought to define personality and shape a person's day-to-day thoughts and behavior."
What happened to your account HS? Banned for incessant spamming?
Violence, Deaths Murders and Suicides from mind drugs.

SSRI stories

http://ssristories.com/index.php
HumanSpirit

Melrose, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

The increase in homosexuality along with apathy is noticable.
btdt

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2010

Constantia wrote:
<quoted text>
Virapen has the credentials and should know what he's talking about. I wouldn't take this stuff on a bet. No way!
Good link. Thanks!
Can't wait to read his book :)
cody

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Yes, it changes your personality. All of them do.
My husband always says he wants his wife back. Well, I'm alive, that's what counts.
Prozac -- double vision, sadness.
Celexa -- a nice new cut, 6 stitches.
Paxil -- cry 24/7, nightmares from hell.
Zoloft -- weight gain, muscle pain and weekness, feeling sad.
Dezerol -- the room's stayed round,stoned, still sad.
Lithium -- drool, stoned, what ??
more..........can't remember them all.
When I say sad, I mean suicidal.
I'm on Elevil. It has ruined much of my life both mentally and physically. But, it works for me, it's better than nothing. Nothing makes me dead. It does.
So, what do we do ?
It's all poison.
btdt

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

cody wrote:
Yes, it changes your personality. All of them do.
My husband always says he wants his wife back. Well, I'm alive, that's what counts.
Prozac -- double vision, sadness.
Celexa -- a nice new cut, 6 stitches.
Paxil -- cry 24/7, nightmares from hell.
Zoloft -- weight gain, muscle pain and weekness, feeling sad.
Dezerol -- the room's stayed round,stoned, still sad.
Lithium -- drool, stoned, what ??
more..........can't remember them all.
When I say sad, I mean suicidal.
I'm on Elevil. It has ruined much of my life both mentally and physically. But, it works for me, it's better than nothing. Nothing makes me dead. It does.
So, what do we do ?
It's all poison.
I am not sure what we do there is not one answer for everyone. What I have seen is a lot is there is withdrawal from all antidepressants and it often does not set in right away so when it does start often a month or more after the drug is quit usually too fast symptoms of withdrawal are often mistaken for a new disorder or reoccurrance of the original issues. Withdrawal has all sorts of mental physical and psychological issues that are misdiagnosed mostly because these drugs were thought for the longest time to have no withdrawal. A slow taper along with other therapies like cbt have helped a lot of people actually get and stay drug free. The withdrawal symptoms can drag on and on so if you are going to try this route I suggest you go to paxilprogress.org and study the site till you are blue and have a good handle on what to expect. I do not know if getting of the drugs is right for you it is for some only you can decide that. Either way it is good to be truly informed and there are many sites you can glean information. This is one pp is another. If you are on lithium now go to paxilprogress and look up lithium you will find histories of other real people and how they got off or are trying too. Good luck to you.
cody

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

btdt wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what we do there is not one answer for everyone. What I have seen is a lot is there is withdrawal from all antidepressants and it often does not set in right away so when it does start often a month or more after the drug is quit usually too fast symptoms of withdrawal are often mistaken for a new disorder or reoccurrance of the original issues. Withdrawal has all sorts of mental physical and psychological issues that are misdiagnosed mostly because these drugs were thought for the longest time to have no withdrawal. A slow taper along with other therapies like cbt have helped a lot of people actually get and stay drug free. The withdrawal symptoms can drag on and on so if you are going to try this route I suggest you go to paxilprogress.org and study the site till you are blue and have a good handle on what to expect. I do not know if getting of the drugs is right for you it is for some only you can decide that. Either way it is good to be truly informed and there are many sites you can glean information. This is one pp is another. If you are on lithium now go to paxilprogress and look up lithium you will find histories of other real people and how they got off or are trying too. Good luck to you.
I've been on Elevil for 20 years now.
It's ruined my health. If I'd have known 20 years ago......
But, I need it. I've tried weaning off. I can't do it. I get so depressed I will hurt myself. It's the worse pain in the world, depression. I have gastroparesis, major bowel issues -- from this drug -- but, the depression is the worse pain I've ever been in.
I've been depressed since I was about 7. It's in the family genes. Then add child abuse.....so.
I HAVE to be on it. I have been in a state of psycosis many times. I stayed in my car during those episodes. I have kids. I have to be OK. I have to take the Elevil.:(
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

cody wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been on Elevil for 20 years now.
It's ruined my health. If I'd have known 20 years ago......
But, I need it. I've tried weaning off. I can't do it. I get so depressed I will hurt myself. It's the worse pain in the world, depression. I have gastroparesis, major bowel issues -- from this drug -- but, the depression is the worse pain I've ever been in.
I've been depressed since I was about 7. It's in the family genes. Then add child abuse.....so.
I HAVE to be on it. I have been in a state of psycosis many times. I stayed in my car during those episodes. I have kids. I have to be OK. I have to take the Elevil.:(
There are a lot of other dangerous drugs besides the psychotropic and anti-depressant drugs that will cause you great harm in the future. They write off the problems as having dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Reglan (anti-psychotic) that is given to infants for spitting up and for stomach disorders and the Statin drugs for cholesterol. Statin drugs can't distinguish the different between the good cholesterol in the brain and the bad cholestrial and so it removes all I have been told. I use Red yeast Rice for cholesterol. I havent experienced neuropathy and arm pains using Red Yeast Rice. My Cholestrial level has been good. Talk to your doctor (disclaimer).

“Alpha Omega”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of other dangerous drugs besides the psychotropic and anti-depressant drugs that will cause you great harm in the future. They write off the problems as having dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Reglan (anti-psychotic) that is given to infants for spitting up and for stomach disorders and the Statin drugs for cholesterol. Statin drugs can't distinguish the different between the good cholesterol in the brain and the bad cholestrial and so it removes all I have been told. I use Red yeast Rice for cholesterol. I havent experienced neuropathy and arm pains using Red Yeast Rice. My Cholestrial level has been good. Talk to your doctor (disclaimer).
Human Spirit....
From what I've read for the last several years, statin drugs and Red yeast rice have the same chemical makeup and action on cholestral, and also the same side effects. One of which is lowering the critical serum level of Co-enzyme Q-10 by as much as 40%. This is a serious concern for many reasons, one of which is that the heart needs and uses CO Q-10. Unfortunately, many people on statin drugs are now developing dementia symptoms because the brain needs cholorestral to function.

Bottomline, red yeast rice IS a statin. That's why the pharmaceutical companies were trying to get FDA to block the sale of red yeast rice.

Pharmaceutical companies are pushing statin drugs just like their peddling antidepressants. It's all about the $$$.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_yeast_rice

THE TRUTH ABOUT CHOLESTRAL:

http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james...
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Constantia wrote:
<quoted text>
Human Spirit....
From what I've read for the last several years, statin drugs and Red yeast rice have the same chemical makeup and action on cholestral, and also the same side effects. One of which is lowering the critical serum level of Co-enzyme Q-10 by as much as 40%. This is a serious concern for many reasons, one of which is that the heart needs and uses CO Q-10. Unfortunately, many people on statin drugs are now developing dementia symptoms because the brain needs cholorestral to function.
Bottomline, red yeast rice IS a statin. That's why the pharmaceutical companies were trying to get FDA to block the sale of red yeast rice.
Pharmaceutical companies are pushing statin drugs just like their peddling antidepressants. It's all about the $$$.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_yeast_rice
THE TRUTH ABOUT CHOLESTRAL:
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james...
Red Yeast Rice and Statin drugs are different and do not have the sam side effects.

The pharmacutical industry along with their bed partner (FDA) are trying to remove Red Yeast Rice that has been around for thousands of years in China. The pharmacutical industry are claiming Lavastat is the same as Red Yeast Rice.
----------
Do Statin Drugs Cause Vitamin D Deficiency?

http://www.naturalnews.com/027897_statin_drug...
(NaturalNews) Many in the medical profession are beginning to recognize that people who take cholesterol-lowering statin drugs are becoming vitamin D-deficient. Cholesterol is required by the body to synthesize vitamin D and statin drugs are are responsible for eliminating it, leading many to speculate that statin drug users do not have enough cholesterol to process vitamin D.
Contrary to popular belief, cholesterol actually plays an important role in maintaining health. It regulates proper hormonal levels and is the precursor substance for the production of vitamin D. Cholesterol also works to digest and absorb fats, nutrients, and vitamins.
When converting sunlight into vitamin D, cholesterol in the skin acts as the catalyst for this important process. Vitamin D is crucial for mineral metabolization and is said to target over 2000 human genes. Deficiency is linked to over 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, autoimmune diseases, muscle and bone problems, and other serious diseases.
In the study, researchers found a clear connection between vitamin D deficiency and muscle pain. Over 64 percent of patients with muscle pain who were taking statin drugs were also deficient in vitamin D. Those with muscle pain in general were found to be deficient in vitamin D.
When study participants who reported muscle pain were given 50,000 IU of vitamin D a week for 12 weeks, more than 92 percent of them were completely relieved of all muscle pain. The prescribed supplementation also raised blood levels of vitamin D to normal levels.
It is also known that statin drugs are responsible for depleting CoQ10 levels, a vital substance that metabolizes energy in the body. Both CoQ10 and vitamin D supplementation are recommended for anyone who takes statin drugs. A minimum of 2,000 IU of vitamin D and between 100 and 200 mg of CoQ10 daily are appropriate doses.
Studies have shown that taking CoQ10 by itself helps to maintain proper cholesterol levels without the need for statin drugs. While keeping bad cholesterol (LDL) levels low is beneficial, it is important to keep good cholesterol (HDL) levels high. CoQ10 works well at maintaining healthy levels of both.
Some other alternatives to keeping cholesterol levels in check include supplementation with niacin and policosanol. In conjunction with a healthy diet low in refined sugars and bad fats, these natural alternatives are both safe and effective. Exercise and a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids are also good suggestions.

Sources for this story include:
http://www.stopagingnow.com/news/ne ... http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
--------
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Red Yeast Rice Helps Reduce Cholesterol
Over-the-Counter Supplement Is an Alternative to Statin Drugs
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/MedicineCuttingEdge...
----------
I do not have the pains in the arms and legs with Red Yeast Rice as compared to Statin drugs.

STATIN
Saturday, January 23, 2010
11:59 PM
Statins Cause Muscle Damage

Pasted from < http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/ar... ;

FDA warns of muscle risk from statin drug
Highest dose of Zocor can also cause potentially lethal kidney damage

Pasted from < http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35949601/ns/healt... ;

----------

Bad News About Statin Drugs

CThe following article form the "Center for Medical Consumers" summaries the real Cholesterol sham that is being imposed on the unsuspecting. I have highlighted the key points to assist all to get the gist of this issue and ramp up on these concerns. Naturally, pharma and their medical cronies will not discuss these openly due their funding dependencies.
Chris Gupta
..."Dr. Ravnskov managed to push the envelope further by making a case for high cholesterol as a protective against cancer. He showed slides listing published studies that found higher rates of infectious disease among hospitalized people with low cholesterol levels. Also, several studies found higher cancer rates in people with low cholesterol levels...
"Anyone who questions cholesterol usually finds his funding cut off," said Paul Rosch, MD, who started his talk with a reminder that half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol levels. "Stress has more deleterious effects on the heart than cholesterol," said Dr. Rosch,
...hundreds of people wrote in to say they, too, had experienced severe memory loss while on Lipitor. "Patients are reluctant to report amnesia, or they attribute the symptoms to old age or early Alzheimer's," explained Dr. Graveline. "And doctors are reluctant to see that the drug they prescribed was the cause." Still, the official word on Lipitor is that memory loss is not a statin side effect. "Thousands of cases of memory dysfunction have been reported to the FDA's Medwatch program," he said, "but after two years, the agency still hasn't acted. And most practicing physicians are unaware of the problem." Lipitor is not the only statin linked to this side effect, observed Dr. Graveline...
..."In drug trials, the pharmaceutical companies often divide similar adverse effects into six or seven different categories to keep the scarier side effects under 1%."...
...statin drugs deplete the body of an important anti-oxidant (CQ10) with muscle wasting and heart failure as a result.
..."It has been pretty well documented from biopsies that the severity of heart failure correlates with the people who have the lowest levels of Q10."...
..."[People are eating] a diet high in grain and inappropriate fats, instead of the natural animal fats, such as lard, tallow, chicken fat, goose fat, and the natural vegetable fats, such as olive, palm, and coconut oils, that we used to have in our diets," and contrary to the current "propaganda," she explained that these fats and oils are essential components to a healthful diet. These so-called good fats provide the major fuel for the heart, kidneys, and skeletal muscles, said Dr. Enig, who said the inappropriate fats are the highly processed polyunsaturated fats, such as soybean, canola, and corn oils, which are promoted [ironically] as heart protective."...

Pasted from < http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2003/11... ;
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Red yeast rice is a substance made by fermenting rice with a species of yeast called Monascus purpureus. The fermented rice has been used as a food and a traditional medicine in China for over 1,000 years (since 800 AD). Red yeast rice naturally contains a variety of compounds known as monacolins (or mevinic acids). Some of these monacolins are known to inhibit cholesterol production by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase.

Among the monacolins in red yeast rice is monacolin-K, also known as lovastatin. Lovastatin is the active ingredient in the prescription drug Mevacor®, one of the “statin” drugs used to lower cholesterol levels in people with high cholesterol. Closely related to monacolin-K is its hydroxy acid form (known as monacolin KA), which is also active. Lovastatin and a hydroxy acid form are typically the predominant monacolins in red yeast rice.

continued:
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Red Yeast Rice

What It Does:

At least two well-designed human studies have found that red yeast rice taken daily for two to three months lowers total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and triglycerides in people with elevated cholesterol. In one study, total cholesterol fell by an average of 18%, LDL by 23% and triglycerides by 15%(Heber 1999). When combined with lifestyle changes and fish oil use, a more dramatic decrease in LDL (a 42% decline) has been recently reported (Becker 2008). In these studies, levels of HDL (“good cholesterol”) did not significantly change. Although these studies were too short to assess effects on mortality, a recent study in China of several years duration among people with a previous heart attack showed a significant decrease in recurrent heart attacks, heart attack-related deaths, and the need for angioplasty or heart surgery (Lu 2008). In the Chinese study, a 20% decrease in LDL cholesterol and a 4% increase in HDL cholesterol were observed.
Interestingly, the total amount of lovastatin in clinically tested red yeast rice is typically half or less than the amount used pharmaceutically. For example, in recent clinical studies, the daily amount of lovastatin in the red yeast rice preparations was only 5 to 15 mg. The standard dose of lovastatin prescribed to achieve LDL reductions of 30 to 40% is typically 20 mg to 40 mg. A likely explanation for this difference is that red yeast rice contains a variety of compounds, including other monacolins (such as the hydroxy acid form of lovastatin) and plant sterols that may contribute to cholesterol lowering. For more information about dosage, see What to Consider When Using and Buying. Because of these other compounds, it is possible that red yeast rice may be effective in people who do not respond to marketed pharmaceutical statins. Side-effects may also be different. Side-effects seen in patients treated only with lovastatin may potentially be diminished because of the lower amount of lovastatin in typical dosages of red yeast rice. In fact, among a group of people who experienced muscle pain with a statin drug, only 7% of reported muscle pain when switched to red yeast rice (Becker 2009). See Concerns and Cautions for potential side-effects.
snip:
In the late 1990s the marketing of a prominent red yeast rice product (Cholestin®) was challenged because its label listed the amounts of monacolins contained in each dose. The FDA determined that Cholestin®, by containing lovastatin, was an unapproved drug and ordered it removed from sale.(A reformulated version of Cholestin®, containing no red yeast rice, is currently sold in the US). However, other red yeast rice dietary supplements continue to be sold in the US. Their labels generally state only the amount of red yeast rice, not the amount of monacolins. In August 2007, the FDA sent warning letters to several companies promoting the cholesterol-lowering effect of their red yeast rice supplements. The FDA classified these products as unapproved drugs and issued a warning to consumers to avoid these products. It appears that products that did not claim to lower cholesterol or prevent disease did not receive warnings. However, any supplement containing more than trace amounts of lovastatin may technically be in violation of FDA policy.

Consumerlab

http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Red_Yeast_...

“Alpha Omega”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Red Yeast Rice and Statin drugs are different and do not have the sam side effects.
The pharmacutical industry along with their bed partner (FDA) are trying to remove Red Yeast Rice that has been around for thousands of years in China. The pharmacutical industry are claiming Lavastat is the same as Red Yeast Rice.
----------
Do Statin Drugs Cause Vitamin D Deficiency?
http://www.naturalnews.com/027897_statin_drug...
(NaturalNews) Many in the medical profession are beginning to recognize that people who take cholesterol-lowering statin drugs are becoming vitamin D-deficient. Cholesterol is required by the body to synthesize vitamin D and statin drugs are are responsible for eliminating it, leading many to speculate that statin drug users do not have enough cholesterol to process vitamin D.
Contrary to popular belief, cholesterol actually plays an important role in maintaining health. It regulates proper hormonal levels and is the precursor substance for the production of vitamin D. Cholesterol also works to digest and absorb fats, nutrients, and vitamins.
When converting sunlight into vitamin D, cholesterol in the skin acts as the catalyst for this important process. Vitamin D is crucial for mineral metabolization and is said to target over 2000 human genes. Deficiency is linked to over 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, autoimmune diseases, muscle and bone problems, and other serious diseases.
In the study, researchers found a clear connection between vitamin D deficiency and muscle pain. Over 64 percent of patients with muscle pain who were taking statin drugs were also deficient in vitamin D. Those with muscle pain in general were found to be deficient in vitamin D.
When study participants who reported muscle pain were given 50,000 IU of vitamin D a week for 12 weeks, more than 92 percent of them were completely relieved of all muscle pain. The prescribed supplementation also raised blood levels of vitamin D to normal levels.
It is also known that statin drugs are responsible for depleting CoQ10 levels, a vital substance that metabolizes energy in the body. Both CoQ10 and vitamin D supplementation are recommended for anyone who takes statin drugs. A minimum of 2,000 IU of vitamin D and between 100 and 200 mg of CoQ10 daily are appropriate doses.
Studies have shown that taking CoQ10 by itself helps to maintain proper cholesterol levels without the need for statin drugs. While keeping bad cholesterol (LDL) levels low is beneficial, it is important to keep good cholesterol (HDL) levels high. CoQ10 works well at maintaining healthy levels of both.
Some other alternatives to keeping cholesterol levels in check include supplementation with niacin and policosanol. In conjunction with a healthy diet low in refined sugars and bad fats, these natural alternatives are both safe and effective. Exercise and a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids are also good suggestions.
Sources for this story include:
http://www.stopagingnow.com/news/ne ... http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
--------
Well, you can take Red yeast rice if you want to....ask for me, no. I deal with bodily balance nutritionally, including some of the things you mentioned but without taking either statin drugs OR red yeast rice.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Constantia wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you can take Red yeast rice if you want to....ask for me, no. I deal with bodily balance nutritionally, including some of the things you mentioned but without taking either Statin drugs OR red yeast rice.
I won't use a Statin drug but will use Red Yeast Rice. I have had success with no mussel deterioration or the pains that are associated with Statin drugs..

I keep a high regard for the chemical balances including Magnesium and Potassium and the trace minerals.

Nutrition is a good way to health except the soils are depleted of chemical nutrients and fertilized to compensate.

If you look up Louise Light who originally drew up the food pyramid she will state to you that the Department of Agriculture changed her research science and altered the original food pyramid. It was a dirty deal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••