Study: 2,000 Convicted, Then Exonerat...

Study: 2,000 Convicted, Then Exonerated in 23 Years

There are 27 comments on the www.time.com story from May 21, 2012, titled Study: 2,000 Convicted, Then Exonerated in 23 Years. In it, www.time.com reports that:

More than 2,000 people who were falsely convicted of serious crimes have been exonerated in the United States in the past 23 years, according to a new archive compiled at two universities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.time.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
These are People

Fort Worth, TX

#21 Jul 23, 2012
UR BS: I disagree with you on a disease is caused by a virus. There are many diseases not caused by a virus; for instance: coronary artery disease and acid reflux disease. Neither of these are caused by a virus. On drug addiction and it being a disease, it has not been classified as a disease--but it is being discussed and considered.

Now, to my making it personal when I say that maybe we should lock you up when a person says that it is ok to put a person to death because of something they might do in the future. Maybe it is personal--but this is one way to better get my point across. Now to personal, I don't believe anything can be much more personal than your screen name here--Ur BS. When you put Ur at the front of it or you not making that personal?

Now, to the death of your son, I do feel the greatest of sympathy for you and all your family members. However, when you say the person only got 5 years then I tend to believe it was probably an accident in someway instead of a definite out to get you type of murder. When you say they only spent 5 years--no they actually spend the rest of their lives with that guilt whether behind bars or not. They will also face it every time they fill out an application for a job--or for many things in their lives, so don't ever think the person spent 5 years in prison then smooth sailing from then on.

Now, to a person being wrongly put behind bars and they will get out--no, that is not always true. How many were put to death that were truly innocent of the crime, no one knows, for you see, unfortunately, we have some in law enforcement who will fight to the end to keep DNA from being tested, or etc., just so they will not have to admit they made a mistake. Also, not all that get out are given money--many or not.
sense

Crown Point, IN

#22 Jul 23, 2012
UR BS wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is you that needs to STFU as you so eloquently put it.
Where did I say that people should g to jail for a, "Vote or Just in case"?
When a person is convicted by a jury of their peers then they have had the benefit of the rights guranteed to them under the constitution. So sorry if it sometimes goes wrong but that is how it goes.
Well I guess that you are all for correcting the wrongs of as you say, "Sly Prosecuters" so how about this. If you are truely concverned with justice then every murder case should be punishable with death. No prison terms, no paroles you kill someone you die. How about that?
Closure you say? My grandson is without a father for his entire life while the murdering POS that killed him was only gone for 5 years. What closure is that? What closure is there when I see my grandson carry a picture of his father that he never knew becausde that is all he has?
I'm sorry if someone gets convicted and sentenced wrongly but they will get out and if it is proven that they were wrongly convicted they will get out with a good sum of money to boot. Now prior to you getting all bent out of shape no money can replace the time spent in jail but they will eventually be reunited with their families. The victims of murders will never be with their families again.
So sorry but you can not compare the two.
Why only five years? Could he / she gotten more for the hidious crime? If the POS didn't get the maximum, then your prosecuter you put on a pedistal did you and your family a diservice. I can only speak from experience; you say that, although innocent, a person that has ran the gamet of the courts and found guilty should do the time, ALTHOUGH evidence that would clear him / her was not presented by the prosecuter, nor shared with the PD. Now this innocent person and their family must spend thousands to try ( and many do not succeed) to prove they are innocent. And what about the true criminal that is still on the street? Why is he still free because of lazy SOB'S who refuse to investigate because they already have a target. He could be living in your neighborhood stalking your family! How is this innocent person's life not any more precious then the life of your loved one?? If you would sit and think about what you are saying, we are really on the same side with different circumstances. The justice system needs an overhaul. I cried when I read about your grandson. I too have grandkids who may never know the father that I once knew because he has no hope. He is nothing but a criminal with true facts of his innocence. I pray that you find forgiveness for the vile evil person who took away such a precious gift.

Since: Feb 12

Tucson, AZ

#23 Jul 23, 2012
These are People wrote:
UR BS: There are many diseases not caused by a virus; for instance: coronary artery disease and acid reflux disease. Neither of these are caused by a virus.
--but this is one way to better get my point across. Now to personal, I don't believe anything can be much more personal than your screen name here--Ur BS. When you put Ur at the front of it or you not making that personal?
However, when you say the person only got 5 years then I tend to believe it was probably an accident in someway instead of a definite out to get you type of murder. When you say they only spent 5 years--no they actually spend the rest of their lives with that guilt whether behind bars or not.
. How many were put to death that were truly innocent of the crime, no one knows, for you see, unfortunately, we have some in law enforcement who will fight to the end to keep DNA from being tested, or etc., just so they will not have to admit they made a mistake. Also, not all that get out are given money--many or not.
Sorry but drug addiction is not a disease. It is a choice. I used the virus thing as an example not an all encompassing definition. When you can show me a person that develops a drug addiction in the same manor that a person develops acid reflux then I may consider it.
Making it personal does not, "better get my point across", it makes it confrontational.
As to my moniker if the shoe fits wear it if not don't. I have not attacked you personally as you did the other poster so if you don't like my moniker then don't respond or just ignore it. I use it for all my posts so it goes to people I agree with as much as it goes to tyhose I don't agree with.
Now you say, "when you say the person only got 5 years then I tend to believe it was probably an accident in someway instead of a definite out to get you type of murder." I stated that he was found guilty of murder. Do you know the definition of murder? Here I'll help you, "Under the Common Law, or law made by courts, murder was the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought." No accident can come to that standard. An accident can be homicide but not murder. So your belief is 100% wrong.
Just for the record I don't need nor want your sympathy.
Oh and I feel so bad for him because he may have a guilty conscience.
Now as you say no one has any way of knowing how many people have been executed for crimes they didn't commit. As to not all that get out get money that is true if they were justifiably convicted. That however is not what you are aledging. You are talking about misconduct and deliberate supression of evidence, in those cases I know of no one that has ever gotten out without a monetary compensation.
In one case I know of personally, the guy was a friend of a friend, the guy did 12 years for murder. He was shown not to be the guilty party but not due to misconduct or deliberate supression of evidence. It was simply a mistake by the jury. He received a pile of money from the State for that. So I would need to have examples of people wrongly convicted that spent years in jail and were rekleased without compensation.
Now a person in that position has the right to refuse the compensation and try to get more via civil action if they want to.
Bottom line is that yes some people do get convicted wrongly. I am sorry for them but until we come up with something better this is still the best, and most fair system in the world.

Since: Feb 12

Tucson, AZ

#24 Jul 23, 2012
sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Why only five years? Could he / she gotten more for the hidious crime? If the POS didn't get the maximum, then your prosecuter you put on a pedistal did you and your family a diservice. I can only speak from experience; you say that, although innocent, a person that has ran the gamet of the courts and found guilty should do the time, ALTHOUGH evidence that would clear him / her was not presented by the prosecuter, nor shared with the PD. Now this innocent person and their family must spend thousands to try ( and many do not succeed) to prove they are innocent. And what about the true criminal that is still on the street? Why is he still free because of lazy SOB'S who refuse to investigate because they already have a target. He could be living in your neighborhood stalking your family! How is this innocent person's life not any more precious then the life of your loved one?? If you would sit and think about what you are saying, we are really on the same side with different circumstances. The justice system needs an overhaul. I cried when I read about your grandson. I too have grandkids who may never know the father that I once knew because he has no hope. He is nothing but a criminal with true facts of his innocence. I pray that you find forgiveness for the vile evil person who took away such a precious gift.
Only 5 years because he had a good lawyer. First he got the trial delayed for over 2 years, then he set up his entire case on the punishment phase.
He offered no witnesses in the guilt or innocence part as he knew there was no defense. After the guy was found guilty of Murder he paraded in a line of witnesses to say how this guy had found religion in the time after the murder. He had picked the jury well and allowed for the jury to set the term. That is an option in Texas. So it was all a game, all smoke and mirrors to garner sympathy for him. The Judge was also very pro-defendent. He would not allow my Granddaughter to be in the court room with a picture of her father but he allowed the wife of the murderer to sit in the court room with her baby. there was lots more but I won't get into it here.
I have no desire to forgive this POS for anything as I feel he has already gotten off without payment for his crime.
I hope that whatever the case is in your loved ones situation that it is eventually completed on the side of justice. I can say no more as I know nothing of the case and would not expect you to put that type of private information on a public forum such as this.
So all I can say is I wish you the best.
These are People

Fort Worth, TX

#25 Aug 3, 2012
UR BS: I agree with you in your case. As the other poster told you, you have seen the law doing wrong from the other side. I do feel you were facing a convicted person with money or power--or both. However, in too many cases it happens to the other side. Money and power play too much of a part in our justice system. As I told you previously, I do not believe the Duke Lacrosse case would not have been the same without money. Their defense ran into the millions. How many normal people can afford that?

Our justice system was once the greatest in the world. Other countries use to study our system to be more like it. That is not true of present times.

As for whether drug addiction is a desease or not, it has not proven so, but it is being debated by people with a lot more medical knowledge than you or I.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#26 Aug 3, 2012
These are People wrote:
UR BS: I agree with you in your case. As the other poster told you, you have seen the law doing wrong from the other side. I do feel you were facing a convicted person with money or power--or both. However, in too many cases it happens to the other side. Money and power play too much of a part in our justice system. As I told you previously, I do not believe the Duke Lacrosse case would not have been the same without money. Their defense ran into the millions. How many normal people can afford that?
Our justice system was once the greatest in the world. Other countries use to study our system to be more like it. That is not true of present times.
As for whether drug addiction is a desease or not, it has not proven so, but it is being debated by people with a lot more medical knowledge than you or I.
I simply disagree with you.
As to the Duke thing the money did allow them to buy very high powered lawyers but then again the charges were shown to be bogus as well. Had the team been made up of so called minorities there would have been some publicity hungry lawyers jumping on it as well so I am not really sure if I buy into your opinion on that.
Our justice ayatem is still the best in the world in spite of all of its flaws. We are the only place that holds a person as innocent until proven guilty. Other countries hold you guilty until proven innocent. These other countries have a prssumption of guilt based on an arrest we have the opposite. So I still say that even with all of its flaws we still have the best.
As to the drug addiction thing I know people are debating it but regardless of what they come up with I will never believe that it is a disease. If we hold that drug addiction is a disease then cigarette smoking is also a disease, as is obesity. You see we can become addicted to nearly anything if we over indulge in it. Drugd are the same way. You do not become addicted without a decision on your own part to use and abuse the drugs to start. So I am sorry but as far as I am concerned drug addiction is not a disease.
Now with all that said do I believe that the addict should be just thrown away with no attempt to help them overcome their self imposed condition? No I do not. They should receive treatment and be given the chance to beat their additcion but it in no way decriminalizes their actions.
So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#27 Aug 3, 2012
These are People wrote:
UR BS: I agree with you in your case. As the other poster told you, you have seen the law doing wrong from the other side. I do feel you were facing a convicted person with money or power--or both. However, in too many cases it happens to the other side. Money and power play too much of a part in our justice system. As I told you previously, I do not believe the Duke Lacrosse case would not have been the same without money. Their defense ran into the millions. How many normal people can afford that?
Our justice system was once the greatest in the world. Other countries use to study our system to be more like it. That is not true of present times.
As for whether drug addiction is a desease or not, it has not proven so, but it is being debated by people with a lot more medical knowledge than you or I.
Oh one thing I forgot to address in your post.
The reason he only got 5 years and had such a good lawyer is because he was associated with drug runners. They paid for his lawyer. He had nothing of his own but the people he wroked for paid his lawyers.
So in a way you hit it on the head as to the money and connections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwestern University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Naperville man charged in murder plot (Jan '10) Nov '17 TrashCan 17
News Ex-Northwestern professor, Oxford employee arre... Aug '17 and sick truly 5
this whoole think thing with boobs doesn't matter. Aug '17 nice to see sto 2
News Chicago won't see eclipse spectacle of Carbonda... Aug '17 Real Faxt 1
News Northwestern prof, Oxford staffer wanted in fat... Aug '17 kobas casserole 7
Northwestern ranked best hospital in illinois a... Aug '17 Thomas Finger In ... 1
News Israeli court: Netanyahu must show call logs wi... Aug '17 Jeff Brightone 1
More from around the web