Nope. I could care less about golden parachuttes. They pay these people too much to do a job that really is not that hard to do. You could easily get the manager of a mcdonalds to run this and they'd do a fine job. You need business savvy. That is it.
They go hire these cultured people that they know or are recommended and dish out piles of cash. Hire a good business person and you quickly change that place around and las cruces with it.
- chase research money to no end
- partner with private industry heavily
- drop the football team
- crackdown on cheating students (this is an epedemic at nmsu)
- get the cows back out in the middle of town for some serious AG work
- get the engineering college competing in everything and insist on 1 year hands-on for all engineers
- increase the complexity of the business college with more hands-on
- get that darn nursing program recertified at the branch
- review professor teaching performance (there are plenty of dead weights there)
- hire researchers and teachers (2 different things)
- grow the physics college (lots of research money, tiny college)
- become more involved with the public schools to help with transitions to college life
- address ridiculous parking rules
- introduce bars onto the campus (you have to compete with other universities)
- introduce other eateries on campus
There are all kinds of things that a person with 1/2 a brain could do to make this university more attractive and bring it up on its national standing.
It's a good university, not a great university.