My GLBT Brothers and Sisters are My Family

Oct 5, 2009 | Posted by: womanistmusings | Full story: www.womanist-musings.com

Due to the White leadership of the mainstream GLBT community, many have refused to accept and or embrace our same gender loving members. Homosexuality is not a White thing; it is not a perversion of bodies of color. Many believe that by rejecting homosexuality that they are rejecting Whiteness, when indeed what they are truly rejecting is our OWN PEOPLE.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Oct 5, 2009

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

I am not black but I wonder about the statement that black women can't find partners due to their femininity.

When one looks at the ways black men are surpressed, both by whites (increased targeting for minor drug offenses, longer prison sentences, discrimination in education, etc.) and blacks (innocent people targeted by gangs plus pressure to join gangs; lowered expectations by some black parents and educators, etc.) it is not surprising many of them are not eligible mates.

I'd like to hear from some black people about this comment and whether they agree with it.

I'm a gay white male and have never thought of feminity in terms of colour; the specific appearance of the person and their behaviour have more to do with it.

“God hates me!”

Since: May 07

West Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

I'm sorry but can someone please explain this article to me?

I read it twice and while I think it has to do with the issues of homophobia in the African American community against other African Americans that are GLBT, it also seem like Womanist is once again blaming "Whiteness" for this problem.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Judged:

dante2810 wrote:
I'm sorry but can someone please explain this article to me?
I read it twice and while I think it has to do with the issues of homophobia in the African American community against other African Americans that are GLBT, it also seem like Womanist is once again blaming "Whiteness" for this problem.
It's a pretty good example of Womanist sensationalizing and scapegoating (yet again) rather than being realistic about the underlying issues and making practical suggestions to improve things.

She spends most of the first four lines rattling-off outrageous and deeply offensive stereotyping, and then claims that these stereotypes are ENTIRELY the work of white supremcists.

Y'know what, I'm a blonde-haired, blue-eyed stocky fella from the midwest. I do not subscribe or succumb to racism--in any form. And I do become especially incensed when Womanist or anyone else insists that I'm part of "the problem" simply because I'm white. Why does that make me angry? Because that IS racism.

Dr. Rob Eichberg taught me that people are only victims when they define THEMSELVES as such. Here, Womanist is defining all "LGBT POC" as victims (speak for yourself, womanist), and proceeds to lead a white-witch-hunt for a persecutor to blame for racial problems.

I will not deny that black people are terribly discriminated against... not more or less so within the LGBT community than society at large, I suspect. But not by me.

It really is racist--and counterproductive--to refer to the best rights activists as "the White Leadership of the Mainstream LGBT community." The people at the helm of the movement, often, are those whose words are inclusive, and resonate with the broadest audience. If there was a black leader whose words resonated with that "mainstream" then that person would be a leader for the whole community, not just the black members of it. And it would benefit such a person to make sure that their message was about what brings us together, not what differenciates us.

And incidentally, for the politically correct folks reading this--yes, I say "black" instead of "people of color" because it's four whole syllables shorter. So long as some people who insist on being called "people of color" continue to refer to me as "white," rather than "caucasian," "euro-american," or a "person of a sort've pinkinsh tint," then the political correctness is just another form of double-standard, another way to keep people apart, and keep them from REALLY respecting each other (as opposed to pretending to respect each other with politically correct BS.)

The politically correct term for MY people shall no longer be "white." From now on, please refer to us as "People who reflect Wavelengths of the Visible Spectrum Between 570 and 620 Nanometers." Or, you could just call me by my name. In fact, I'd certainly prefer that to being lumped-in with racists simply because those stupid bastards might look a little bit like me, as in Womanist's statement "In fighting (sic) and divisiveness serves Whiteness."

Womaist, please learn the distinction between being white and being racist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••