Spelman students sparkle in sciences

Nov 16, 2008 | Posted by: Maria Antonia | Full story: www.ajc.com

Which Atlanta institution produces the most African-American graduates who go on to earn doctoral degrees in science and engineering? a) Morehouse College b) Georgia Tech c) Emory University The answer is d) ...

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2010
Low performers

Theodore, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Judged:

There is a nationwide shortage of black engineering graduates. Spelman's contribution is a drop in the bucket. blacks tend to avoid engineering due to the math requirements and those who do begin engineering tend to flunk out or simply drop out. Of the black engineering graduates who go into the field, they soon prove themselves to perform on a substandard level. Spelman's ranking is meaningless because of the small number of graduates. The ranking is actually invalid.
snooty snobs

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

Judged:

The typical Spelman student is the daughter of a successful well-to-do black family that earned a lot of money during the George Bush economic boom of 2000-2006. Those Spelman girls are in school for the social life and to get an education that will keep them out of the manual labor class like their parents told them to avoid at all costs.
life of privilege

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

snooty snobs wrote:
The typical Spelman student is the daughter of a successful well-to-do black family that earned a lot of money during the George Bush economic boom of 2000-2006. Those Spelman girls are in school for the social life and to get an education that will keep them out of the manual labor class like their parents told them to avoid at all costs.
Spelman is definitely a social club for rich brats.

Since: Oct 07

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

snooty snobs wrote:
Did you go to Spelman? How do you know so much about the school? I thought it was the school Denise Huxtable went to.
Atlanta University

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Judged:

snooty snobs wrote:
That's what they learn at Spelman. To avoid manual labor.
Tricky Lever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Judged:

on the one hand we have ppl like Jessy jickson and other civil rights activists wanting and end to raacism yet Spelman has a 0.1% caucasian student body.

Now that Obama is pressie, time to shut down all the race biased colleges, unions, societies, groups, there is no need for them.

Obama made it to the top job in the world starting with nothing ,....... raising $750,000,000 to do so.

So speaking as a conservative republican, lets stop all organisations that have color as a majority or minority, and let all who want to get to the top do it on their own ......... sink or swi , no more positive discrimination,
iHave2manyDreams

Amory, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Judged:

well in my opinion i dont think jus rich black girls get accepted to spelman. yes there may be more of them but speaking for myself, i am not rich at all. I... my family and i get by, lets put it that way. i am a junior and i have hopes to get into spelman by any means necessary. Some ppl may take some of these comments as disuading or killing their self confidence, not me though cause i serve a God that will answer prays.
Low Aptitude

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Judged:

iHave2manyDreams wrote:
well in my opinion i dont think jus rich black girls get accepted to spelman. yes there may be more of them but speaking for myself, i am not rich at all. I... my family and i get by, lets put it that way. i am a junior and i have hopes to get into spelman by any means necessary. Some ppl may take some of these comments as disuading or killing their self confidence, not me though cause i serve a God that will answer prays.
If your command of English grammar and composition are as poor as your above example indicates you need not apply to any college. Sign up for remedial courses right away.
Tricky Lever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Judged:

Low Aptitude wrote:
<quoted text>If your command of English grammar and composition are as poor as your above example indicates you need not apply to any college. Sign up for remedial courses right away.
I agree a typical result of possible single mother project material, uneducatable in the skills of the pen ..........
Below average

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2008

Spelman doesn't even rank on the party school list.
TheUMSpelmanite

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Judged:

"Low performers" - Have you attended Spelman? How would you know about the amount of engineers that actually graduate from there? Are you pursuing a an Engineering degree at Spelman? Have you seen first hand the amount of graduates that walk across the stage? The answer is no, you don't know ANYTHING about Spelman because you would actually have the intelligence to realize that Spelman doesn't even offer an Engineering degree (DUH!!!) They have the Dual Degree program, where schools such as GA Tech, University of Michigan, and Columbia take them in as transfer students. Oh and PS. Spelman students have a 99% graduation rate at those Colleges. So either A) We are just smart or B) you are plain dumb because those colleges don't let ANYONE slide. You have to know your stuff. Oh, and by the way, I am doing just fine at University of Michigan as a Computer Science/Computer Science Engineering major. I can't wait until you work for me :) It's really funny that you actually wrote a comment on something you know nothing about. Are you a Spelman student? Are you African-American? Are you majoring in an Engineering Degree? Are you all three? I am. I think I would know more than you. Sorry.

"Snooty Snobs" - Once again, have you been to Spelman? OBVIOUSLY NOT BECAUSE MORE THAN 75% OF SPELMAN STUDENTS NEED FINANCIAL AID!! BE SMART AND CHECK THE SITE! Or, better yet, read a book... like um, The Princeton Review would be a good start. If you need help with your reading skills, look me up. I will be GLAD to help. It is simple ignorance to base any type of assumption on what you have HEARD or assumed. Come on guys, let's be smart about the situation here.

"Tricky Lever"- You are a funny one. Let's base the WHOLE AFRICAN AMERICAN RACE ON ONE PERSON because you know, we are all biracial with a white mother and a black father... LOL! Thank the Lord I don't base my opinion of your whole race on you, otherwise, I would question your race's IQ level.

"Below average" - Spelman does not rank on a party school list because we actually value our education versus simple-minded partying.
Terrible thing to waste

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Judged:

Spelman is nothing but a remedial high school for older students. Flunkie university.

Spelman should start a football team with its 250 pound students. They're so fat they wouldn't even need shoulder pads.
ricky ticky

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

WOW that whole article is a math/statistics nightmare,

There are lies, dammed lies and statistics!!!!
ABA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2010

Judged:

i think that the reason spelman is mostly black is because no one but black women apply to the school. so i think that it's the college applicants not the school administrators
probably

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

right
fat and sweaty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Terrible thing to waste wrote:
Spelman is nothing but a remedial high school for older students. Flunkie university.
Spelman should start a football team with its 250 pound students. They're so fat they wouldn't even need shoulder pads.
Who says girls can't play football. Spelman girls are so fat they have to wear jock straps.
Atlanta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Judged:

Every Spelman graduate gets free job placement assistance. On the back of every diploma is an application for Burger King.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••