College Employeea s Homophobic Email Gets Her Canned

There are 45 comments on the Edge San Francisco story from Oct 3, 2009, titled College Employeea s Homophobic Email Gets Her Canned. In it, Edge San Francisco reports that:

The wedding of two gay black men has been denounced at blogs and was subjected to 'discriminatory' comments emailed from the work account of a subsequently fired Morehouse College employee One employee at all-male Morehouse College, which is located in Atlanta, Georgia, has been fired, and another reprimanded, in the wake of discriminatory comments ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edge San Francisco.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#1 Oct 3, 2009
Is it just me or the woman's comment more jaded then homophobic?

Here they are:

""I canít believe this wedding," the letter, as quoted in the article, read.

"Itís 2 men. They donít smile in a lot of pictures and they look like a few brothers Iíve seen in the streets looking STRAGHT," the quotation continued.

"Black women canít get a break, either our men want another man, a white woman (or other nationality thatís light with straight hair), they are locked up in jail or have a "use to be" fatal disease.

"Iím beginning to believe Eve was a black woman and we Black women are paying for all the worldís sins through her actions (eating the apple)."

--- You know I understand why women, especially black women, don't like gay men but I was expecting something a lot more derogatory.
hoodathunkit

Mount Vernon, OH

#2 Oct 3, 2009
McMike wrote:
Here they are:
"Itís 2 men. They donít smile in a lot of pictures and they look like a few brothers Iíve seen in the streets looking STRAGHT," the quotation continued.
"Black women canít get a break, either our men want another man, a white woman (or other nationality thatís light with straight hair), they are locked up in jail or have a "use to be" fatal disease.
"Iím beginning to believe Eve was a black woman and we Black women are paying for all the worldís sins through her actions (eating the apple)."
--- You know I understand why women, especially black women, don't like gay men but I was expecting something a lot more derogatory.
I was expecting something worse than that. Actually , she sounds like she has had some relationship problems and disappointments. She sounds disgruntled, maybe even a bit angry.
threedee

Rowland Heights, CA

#4 Oct 3, 2009
McMike wrote:
I'm a woman an I have no problem with gay men..so I don't appreciate the blanket analysis.
CHAS

Charlotte, NC

#5 Oct 3, 2009
It was her work email. When that is used she is speaking for the college.
She showed bad judgement.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Oct 3, 2009
Wonder how she would have felt if she saw my wedding photos from 02.

Two very well dressed women in dresses. and it was a straight wedding.

And the best time of my life.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Oct 3, 2009
If you're using the employers computer for personal emailing or blogging instead of working, you SHOULD be fired regardless of the content.

That's why the courts have consistently upheld the employers right to monitor and/or restrict email & websites their employees are using.

“Son of Abraham”

Natural Deviant

#11 Oct 3, 2009
threedee wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a woman an I have no problem with gay men..so I don't appreciate the blanket analysis.
I never said "all women" but I do understand why some of you hate gay men.

“Here's smirking at you.”

Since: Sep 09

Bedford, NH

#12 Oct 3, 2009
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said "all women" but I do understand why some of you hate gay men.
Why do you think "some of" us could understandably hate gay men? Not trying to pick on you, but I honestly don't understand.

Long Island, NY

#15 Oct 3, 2009
Spazmatic1 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think "some of" us could understandably hate gay men? Not trying to pick on you, but I honestly don't understand.
Don't understand it either and "hate" is a very, very strong word.
As far as the article goes, I think "homophobic" is stretching it tad. Seems to be more of an issue with unsatisfying past relationships and misuse of company owned equipment for personal use. She is free to express her opinions, but not on company time and not with company equipment.

“Son of Abraham”

Natural Deviant

#16 Oct 3, 2009
Spazmatic1 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think "some of" us could understandably hate gay men? Not trying to pick on you, but I honestly don't understand.
Well, um, we're not exactly playing the same game. In the same way gay men can not compete with women, women can not compete with gay men. Obviously there's more to life then just sex but if we're speaking sexually then men can do better what women can do and we can do things you can not do. Besides, if I was a woman I'd be pissed that men get to sleep around with whomever they want and however often they want without being labeled a whore. There's always two sides to a coin but I can see why this woman is so jaded in her letter.

“Here's smirking at you.”

Bedford, NH

#18 Oct 3, 2009
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, um, we're not exactly playing the same game. In the same way gay men can not compete with women, women can not compete with gay men. Obviously there's more to life then just sex but if we're speaking sexually then men can do better what women can do and we can do things you can not do. Besides, if I was a woman I'd be pissed that men get to sleep around with whomever they want and however often they want without being labeled a whore. There's always two sides to a coin but I can see why this woman is so jaded in her letter.
Well, you have some sound reasons for possibly resenting men, but certainly not gay men. I've hated only a couple men in my day, and none of them were gay. Besides, the sexual double-standard is preserved by many women as well as men (Ann Coulter and Phyllis Shaffley come to mind.)And who cares that men can do things women can't--the converse is also true. You're not thinking along penis-envy lines, are you? If so, consider me smirking.
Rose

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Oct 3, 2009
McMike wrote:
Here they are:
I would have thought it would have been bad. That doesn't even sound homophobic to me, just frustrated. Or even anti-black men in general.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#24 Oct 4, 2009
Touchť!
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, like circulating memos decrying the insane, sexually disordered, Birther, fundie, xstain talibangelicals in the joint who should be fired and prevented from marrying or adopting. Sharing simple facts like these are important to sanity, morale and productivity.
Praiz!
Leftatalbuqerque

AOL

#25 Oct 4, 2009
re: jaded comments from women:

I think a lot of people, both male and female, perhaps have dealt with black men who are on the "down low" issue - they are dealing with men who are very much trapped by culture and stigma and cling to being "bisexual" in order to save face, thereby frustrating the people who try to love them. It can make one feel like these guys are just polygamous more than anything else. If we lived in a world where everone could just be who they are, instead of trying to conform to a group they were born to, all these issues and prejudices would disappear.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

#26 Oct 4, 2009
I think the last lines in the article are the most profound:

"Gang bangers, criminals and babiesí daddies who skip child support payments are idolized by our thug-obsessed, hyper-masculine urban culture."

"Two black gay men in love, who own a successful business and contribute to the economy? Not so much."
Irma

United States

#27 Oct 4, 2009
Cpetr13 wrote:
Too bad people can't shut their damned mouth from 9 to 5 and do their work. When I worked at an office, I made it clear that when I was working I did not look for conversation; that's what lunch or after hours is for.
<quoted text>
Your argument would be fine and well except for one reality. People in workplaces routinely talk about weddings, births, graduations, engagements, etc. Social committees take up dues, and purchase gifts for these occassions. Everyone is expected to give something and be nice. Often, these events are overwhelmingly heterosexual in nature. No one gives them a second thought. However, if the word or idea of "homosexuality" is added in. There is an issue whether the opinion is in favor of or against. Our society within the workplace and without is firmly heterosexual and exclusive. Worst of all, it is without even knowing it.

Religious issues come in too. Think about office Christmas parties, etc. See where society's bias is? Do you wonder why something inappropriate is said when everything does not fit the status quo's world view? Kudos to the college for firing her. However, think of the hypocracy that is practiced daily, and is never addressed. Before you argue that things are being ruined for everyone by excluding a few. Why don't we include more people and ideas, and come up with a more humane office environment. American office practices presently are not working well. We need to rethink Taylorism, efficiency, and our Judeo-Christian and Heterocentric world view in order to be more efficient, successful internationally, and provide better morale. Loyal and happy employees are more productive employees.

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

#28 Oct 4, 2009
I am speaking more about professionalism than heterocentricity or the like. Your employer pays for your time, not your conviviality. And frankly, I don't care if little johnny is losing his baby teeth or just turned 4; kids do that as long as you keep feeding them and don't buy flammable pajamas. Let me know when he ascends bodily into heaven or translates the dead sea scrolls or something interesting. And do it at break-time or lunch, not when I'm actually doing my job.

People who jabber away about irrelevancies when they have other things to do need to be replaced by people who will actually work and get something done.
Irma wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument would be fine and well except for one reality. People in workplaces routinely talk about weddings, births, graduations, engagements, etc. Social committees take up dues, and purchase gifts for these occassions. Everyone is expected to give something and be nice. Often, these events are overwhelmingly heterosexual in nature. No one gives them a second thought. However, if the word or idea of "homosexuality" is added in. There is an issue whether the opinion is in favor of or against. Our society within the workplace and without is firmly heterosexual and exclusive. Worst of all, it is without even knowing it.
Religious issues come in too. Think about office Christmas parties, etc. See where society's bias is? Do you wonder why something inappropriate is said when everything does not fit the status quo's world view? Kudos to the college for firing her. However, think of the hypocracy that is practiced daily, and is never addressed. Before you argue that things are being ruined for everyone by excluding a few. Why don't we include more people and ideas, and come up with a more humane office environment. American office practices presently are not working well. We need to rethink Taylorism, efficiency, and our Judeo-Christian and Heterocentric world view in order to be more efficient, successful internationally, and provide better morale. Loyal and happy employees are more productive employees.
Rose

Los Angeles, CA

#29 Oct 4, 2009
fuzi wrote:
I think the last lines in the article are the most profound:
"Gang bangers, criminals and babiesí daddies who skip child support payments are idolized by our thug-obsessed, hyper-masculine urban culture."
"Two black gay men in love, who own a successful business and contribute to the economy? Not so much."
As a black chick, I agree.
Obviously I'm not saying this has anything to do with being black, it's just part of "black culture". It's as if man isn't looked at as a "real man" if he doesn't beat his woman.

Yes, there is racism in America, but IMHO, this thug culture does more to harm black men, and black people in general than the racism does.

The Sage

United States

#30 Oct 4, 2009
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
As a black chick, I agree.
Obviously I'm not saying this has anything to do with being black, it's just part of "black culture". It's as if man isn't looked at as a "real man" if he doesn't beat his woman.
Yes, there is racism in America, but IMHO, this thug culture does more to harm black men, and black people in general than the racism does.
The culture you speak of is what black America really needs to be concerned with. Black males are killing each other in record numbers. Where is the outrage?? But let a cop of any color shoot a lifelong criminal who happens to be black, and people are protesting in the streets and raising hell! But if he had been killed by a black male who was also a criminal, no one would care. Let an innocent, hardworking black male get killed by a worthless thug who happens to be black. There is no outrage.
The Sage

United States

#31 Oct 4, 2009
Well, there is outrage, but it is from people like me. But then I get labelled a racist because I think someone should pay for their crime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morehouse College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No title (Jan '13) Feb '15 apple 21
News Black History Month kicks off with guest speake... Feb '15 Lucky 1
News Why Can't Obama Talk To Black Americans Like That? (Aug '14) Aug '14 A Word to the Wise 6
News 'Are You, Like, African-AMERICAN Or AFRICAN-Ame... (Aug '14) Aug '14 thegreatlc33 2
News Atlanta to host black college success summit (Jun '14) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News In big public push, White House seeks to smooth... (May '14) May '14 walkerwilliam91 1
News Caught on camera: Armed robbers nab prescriptio... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Grob Hahn 1
More from around the web