Celibate gay author says you 'can't get around' Bible's condemnation of homosexuality

Nov 20, 2010 Full story: MLive.com 926

It was as if Christopher Yuan was introducing himself at an addiction recovery meeting: "I am a Christian and I have homosexual feelings." Only Yuan's compass of faith points out no need to change his sexual orientation.

Full Story

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#21 Nov 20, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
Inaccurate Bible translations.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of those. Here's another one: "It is easier for a 'camel' to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." The Greek word for camel (kamelos) is one letter off from the word for rope or cord (kamilos). I don't recall if this was a mistranslation or an ancient Greek miscopy. Either way, the original phrase was undoubtedly "It is easier for a rope to go through the eye of a needle..."

Since: Nov 10

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Nov 20, 2010
AquariusNSF wrote:
There is no need to get around anything. The Bible does NOT condemn homosexuality as we know and understand it today.
His comments reflect a lack of understanding of the ancient languages that the Bible was written in as well as the historical context in which these ancient texts were written.
The Bible does not in any understanding condemn homosexuals.

Everyone forgets that translation and context are not always translated correctly. We have over 20 versions of the English Bible, that should make you think about how accurate it is.
riffraf002

Freeport, ME

#23 Nov 20, 2010
another duce-bag, wake up god is bullshit, all religions are bullshit, gay is OK so is straight, lets learn science and logic its the only way to look at life.

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#24 Nov 20, 2010
toyotabedzrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone forgets that translation and context are not always translated correctly. We have over 20 versions of the English Bible, that should make you think about how accurate it is.
Well, homosexuality was not understood as a sexual orientation until late in the 19th century. There wasn't even a word for it till then. The way some cultures in the past viewed same sex sex probably was sinful. Many of them believed that it was rebellion against the Creator. In that context (which is admitedly incorrect), the Bible did condemn same sex sex (not necessarily homosexuality).

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#25 Nov 20, 2010
AquariusNSF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, homosexuality was not understood as a sexual orientation until late in the 19th century. There wasn't even a word for it till then. The way some cultures in the past viewed same sex sex probably was sinful. Many of them believed that it was rebellion against the Creator. In that context (which is admitedly incorrect), the Bible did condemn same sex sex (not necessarily homosexuality).
The Bible clearly condemns male and female temple prostitution which, IMHO, means if sex between men was happening inside the temples for rituals it was most likely happening outside the temples for pleasurable purposes. IMHO2, if gay sex was such a vile sin, as we're led to believe today, then we would not only be able to find more than six passages mentioning it but would at least be able to find one condemning sex between men which is not in the context of idolatry.

btw, have you ever tried discussing to a fundie homophobe what the Bible actually states about homosexuality? You can start pointing out facts and they get this glazed look over their eyes with what you're saying going in one ear and out the other because the do NOT want to hear information which debunks their "God is on my side when I say I hate what you are". A perfect example is when I tried once asking my mom how she's using a story about attempted gang rape in S&G to condemn homosexuality and her response was a flustered "Well if the sin of S&G wasn't homosexuality then what else could it have been???" (as in, according to her, that was THE sin of S&G).

Location hidden

#26 Nov 20, 2010
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible clearly condemns male and female temple prostitution which, IMHO, means if sex between men was happening inside the temples for rituals it was most likely happening outside the temples for pleasurable purposes. IMHO2, if gay sex was such a vile sin, as we're led to believe today, then we would not only be able to find more than six passages mentioning it but would at least be able to find one condemning sex between men which is not in the context of idolatry.
btw, have you ever tried discussing to a fundie homophobe what the Bible actually states about homosexuality? You can start pointing out facts and they get this glazed look over their eyes with what you're saying going in one ear and out the other because the do NOT want to hear information which debunks their "God is on my side when I say I hate what you are". A perfect example is when I tried once asking my mom how she's using a story about attempted gang rape in S&G to condemn homosexuality and her response was a flustered "Well if the sin of S&G wasn't homosexuality then what else could it have been???" (as in, according to her, that was THE sin of S&G).
Oh my! Have I ever tried to discuss what the Bible says (and doesn't say) about homosexuality with fundie homophobes. Most often, they just deny deny deny (facts). And, their heads really explode when I start discussing David and Jonathan. It's truly hard as h*ll to get them to let go of their preconceived notions.

I thought that I had read in one of your posts that your mom had come around. Does she still think homosexuality is a sin?

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#27 Nov 21, 2010
Serious biblical scholars and even honest churchmen, if such still exist, will acknowledge that 'the Bible' is an anthology of collected writings from some 40 different writers spanning more than 1,500 years. Of those supposed 40 authors, only two make reference to a concept similar to homosexuality (a modern term): the anonymous author of Leviticus--assumed by many to have been Moses, although controversial--and Saul (Paul) of Tarsus, assumed to have written the letters to the Corinthians. So to say that 'the Bible' condemns homosexuality is almost as inaccurate as to say that the 'Harvard Classics are all about the Greeks,' just because one or two volumes happen to include some of the writings of Aristotle!

But none of this means anything to the christian fundies, because they have now latched on to yet another of their many historic prejudices--like the witch hunts, the inquisition, the burning of Servetus at the stake over the Trinity etc.-- and elevated it to a level of hysteria which will not abate until blood has been shed to satisfy their primordial lust. This issue of homosexuality has them especially riled up because it involves (in their imagination) bedroom scenarios--who sticks what where?--and we all know how such intriguing possibilities can get simple people fired up!!!

That's why it is so amusing to read of a Mormon Church official willing to accept homosexuals as long as they 'don't act on it.' In his ignorant mind, homosexuality is clearly reduced to only sex, nothing else. No thought is given to the fact that homosexuals are genetically different from either 'straight' gender in a variety of ways. Had society demanded from Michaelangelo not to 'act on it,' there would have been no Sistine Chapel, no statue of David, nor even a Pieta. Likewise with Leonardo da Vinci: had he not 'acted on' his creative impulses, which were directly linked to his unique genetic makeup, we would have had neither the painting of the Last Supper nor even the celebrated Mona Lisa!!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#28 Nov 21, 2010
Now THAT is one of the best-written posts I've read in a long time !
Brrighton John

London, UK

#29 Nov 21, 2010
If the Bible did condemn homosexuality, we would have to throw it overboard, or our civilisation could not continue.
Heteros ensure the continuation of the species. Gay folk ensure the evolution of the species by the effect they have on society.
Think of living in a world in which these gays had not lived: Socrates, Plato, Beethoven, Michaelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Jean-Jacques-Régis de Cambacérès (author of the Napoleonic Code, i.e. the law of France and many other places, and even the basis of much other European law, including German law), Immanuel Kant, Schopenhauer, the Wright Brothers (aviators), Felix Hoffmann (discovered Aspirin, heroin, including diamorphine, to kill extreme pain).
Francis Bacon, philosopher, statesman, scientist, lawyer, jurist, and author, conceived the inductive methodology called the Scientific Method. Without this modern science would be unthinkable.
Robert Boyle, natural philosopher, chemist, physicist, inventor,
Isaac Newton, physicist, mathematician, astronomer, one of the most influential men in history. he described universal gravitation and the three laws of motion which dominate the scientific view of the universe, demonstrated the generalised binomial theorem, built the first practical reflecting telescope and developed the modern theory of colour, shares credit with G. Leibniz for the development of the differential and integral calculus.
Robert Hooke, natural philosopher, architect and polymath, important in the scientific revolution, especially in mechanics, invented several scientific instruments still in use, discovered the law of elasticity: Hooke's Law. Result: balance spring which formed the basis of the chronometer making accurate navigation possible.
Adam Smith. His book The Wealth of Nations was the foundation of Economics and of the “classical school” of Economics. He supported justice for the workers.
David Hume, his thinking formed the basis of modern economics and Western philosophy.
John Locke, Enlightenment philosopher and political thinker, one of the first to argue for religious tolerance. His ideas are directly reflected in the American Declaration of Independence. His theories include the law of supply and demand and a balance of trade, pillars of modern economics.
William Pitt the Younger, proposed peace with the rebellious American colonies, worked with his close friend, William Wlberforce, on the Abolition of the slave trade.
Thomas Paine, philosopher of the American War of Independence, greatly influenced the French Revolution, wrote The Rights of Man and The Age of Reason.
Alexander von Humboldt, explorer, cartographer, meteorologist, laid the foundation of physical geography and meteorology.
Desiderius Erasmus the first humanist philosopher, forerunner of the protestant reformation.
Christiaan Huygens, first theoretical physicist. Mathematician, astronomer, writer of early science fiction. His work included investigations and inventions involving time-keeping and the pendulum clock and on probability theory, optics; explained wave-theory of light, centrifugal force and Saturn's rings.
Florence Nightingale founder and first organiser of the nursing profession. Without her most of us would be dead.
Cecil Rhodes, after whom 2 countries were named that became for a while the granary of Africa: Northern and Southern Rhodesia, now Zambia and Zimbabwe.
John Maynard Keynes, his theories dominated the economies of the world after World War II.
Alan Turing, mathematician, most famous for breaking the German Enigma codes, thus shortening World War II by a year.
The list of great gay artists, composers, writers etc. is almost endless and better known.
Leave aside military leaders like Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Richard Lionheart, Frederick the Great, Chaka Zulu, Friedrich Wilhelm, Baron von Steuben, General in the American war of independence, taught the Continental Army military drill and discipline, helped guide it to victory -(No gay = no USA).

“STFU”

Atlanta, GA

#30 Nov 21, 2010
So he is a bitter person who led a debauched life and wants to blame something besides himself for it, so he blames being gay. What an ignorant fool he is, but that is his choice. However, he now fuels the ignorance and hatred that other people use against the rest of us. Like others, he uses religion as a crutch for himself and a bludgeon against others. Despicable.

“Do'n what needs to be done...”

Since: Feb 09

Grand Rapids MI

#31 Nov 21, 2010
It's refreshing to read these post, even though, the subject of the content, is lecturing at a religious (faith based) baptist college, in addition to being on staff @ Moody Bible Institute. One should not loose sight of the harm opinions like this can create in the lives of struggling GLBT youth.
scout

San Francisco, CA

#32 Nov 21, 2010
Yes, but he's unusual, as most diseased homosexuals insist that Christ has nothing against homosexuality.

To Christ, homosexuality is one of several diseases of anti-Christ doctrine.

When Eve and Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, we became evil, to learn evil by becoming evil.

Only way to learn good is if Christ selects one as of the chosen.

The chosen know both evil and good.

“Brutally honest. ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#33 Nov 21, 2010
scout wrote:
Yes, but he's unusual, as most diseased homosexuals insist that Christ has nothing against homosexuality.
To Christ, homosexuality is one of several diseases of anti-Christ doctrine.
When Eve and Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, we became evil, to learn evil by becoming evil.
Only way to learn good is if Christ selects one as of the chosen.
The chosen know both evil and good.
Tell me- what exactly did Christ have against homosexuality?

4 gospels and not a peep about gay sex.

You are not chosen. Sheep are just that. Sheep. You think you are unique, but your fur is wool, you bleat and stomp, and you let others herd you.
scout

San Francisco, CA

#34 Nov 21, 2010
whitefalcon1678 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me- what exactly did Christ have against homosexuality?
4 gospels and not a peep about gay sex.
You are not chosen. Sheep are just that. Sheep. You think you are unique, but your fur is wool, you bleat and stomp, and you let others herd you.
Christ is Jehovah, and wrote the entire Bible. Christ wrote the Bible through people. Jeremiah 35 shows how Christ did this.

The name,'Christ' was used by Jehovah when He walked in human form, but still omnipotent God in all aspects.

Sheep are a picture of the elect. lol!

“Queer love is here to stay.”

Los Angeles

#35 Nov 21, 2010
The man is entitled to believe what he pleases and to live his life accordingly, provided that he injure no one else. If he teaches his doctrine at Moody, or any other institution, and claims any credentials to tell others how to live their lives, he has overstepped his bounds. Their blood is on him.

Location hidden

#36 Nov 21, 2010
scout wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ is Jehovah, and wrote the entire Bible. Christ wrote the Bible through people. Jeremiah 35 shows how Christ did this.
The name,'Christ' was used by Jehovah when He walked in human form, but still omnipotent God in all aspects.
Sheep are a picture of the elect. lol!
Jesus did not write the Bible, and G-d didn't either. However inspirational they might have been, human beings wrote the Bible. It is ignorant to think otherwise.
Rambeaux

Andreas, PA

#37 Nov 21, 2010
Celibate gay? Isn't that an oxymoron?
scout

San Francisco, CA

#38 Nov 21, 2010
Rambeaux wrote:
Celibate gay? Isn't that an oxymoron?
No.

Since: Jul 09

Fort Myers, FL

#39 Nov 21, 2010
toyotabedzrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Bishop Robinson has said it best, "I believe the Bible is the 'Word of God' but not the words of God." Few Christians and literally no Kristians know the difference.

Since: Jul 09

Fort Myers, FL

#40 Nov 21, 2010
AquariusNSF wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not write the Bible, and G-d didn't either. However inspirational they might have been, human beings wrote the Bible. It is ignorant to think otherwise.
I actually meant this reply for you.
Bishop Robinson has said it best, "I believe the Bible is the 'Word of God' but not the words of God." Few Christians and literally no Kristians know the difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moody Bible Institute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allentown mayor banks on credentials in race fo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 silly rabbit 2
Why So Many Christians Are Relaxing Over Drinks (Nov '13) Nov '13 superwilly 1
Godby honored as Logan County Teacher of the Year (Nov '13) Nov '13 Bridgett 1
Slider Building Relationships - Post-Church Chr... (Mar '13) Mar '13 buck 2
Freshman Drowns In Pool Accident At Moody Bible... (Feb '13) Feb '13 1960brookwood 4
Friends remember Jacqueline Seim (Dec '08) Aug '12 The Seim family 3
Did "No. 1" Climate Change Denier Fake His R &c... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Brian_G 15

Moody Bible Institute People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE