MSU project tackles alternative fuel

MSU project tackles alternative fuel

There are 1 comment on the Sunherald.com story from Sep 15, 2008, titled MSU project tackles alternative fuel. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

The environmental and chemical engineering department at Mississippi State University is involved in an ongoing project to develop alternative fuel from products that can be found in Mississippi.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

truthist

United States

#1 Sep 18, 2008
"MSU researchers discovered a cost-effective process that turns wood chips into a substance that looks similar to gasoline and diesel." What is the octane rating to get me excited???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
where you read: "The octane rating of a spark ignition engine fuel is the detonation resistance (anti-knock rating) compared to a mixture of iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane, an isomer of octane) and n-heptane." And....
the octane rating of ethanol is 116!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm where you see: "Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines." How about that???

Go, MSU chemical engineers, go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mabus Agency hires 3 Jun 26 Mabus Who 6
News A musical life: Professional guitarist shares w... Jun 5 The Stealth 2
News Our Opinion: Good news aplenty in region last week May '16 Press power 9
News Low turnout common in local elections across na... May '16 Our Opinion 5
News Mississippi State's Lightweight Subaru BRZ Hybr... Apr '16 Solarman 1
News Increased emphasis: Art offers new ways to teac... Apr '16 WNC 38
News Group against Miss. flag taking battle to SEC h... Mar '16 Mayor 3
More from around the web