OSHS principal David Baggett leaving at end of year to take Starkville High job

Born and raised in Ocean Springs, David Baggett has spent most of his professional life working as an administrator in his hometown's school district -- the last eight as high school principal. Full Story
Concerned

Perkinston, MS

#1 Apr 9, 2014
Looks like Mr. Baggett is leaving OSHS. Sad, I've met the guy, he's a nice dude. This is also bullspit about him leaving for "better opportunities." I've visited Starkville before, I know from talking to people who live in or near Starkville & who work for the college up there that the Oktibbeha Co. schools are some of the worst in the state, almost all black. While the city schools aren't that good but are at least about on average what you find in this state. Until a yr or 2 ago the county schools were controlled by the state Education Dept because the county was so incompetent in raising its kids & educating them. They failed all their accreditation tests.

If Starkville city schools are absorbing the county its because the state made them, its not any good will coming from their hearts. The county schools up there are "sh*tty" to be polite, and that's being polite to those kids & the system. Baggett isn't going for the challenge, he's going because he was 1) passed up for a promotion into administration, which is understandable he'd want to leave but I think 2) he sees the writing on the wall: the OSSD is broke, they've maxed out their millage paying for a gargantuan high school they can't afford. They're levered to the hilt up to their eyeballs in debt & there will be no "solution" for them.

That leaves what exactly?

He's getting out of dodge while he's still on a peak, before things start crunching up. And I wish Mr. Baggett the best. He can smell the rot while others have their Pollyanna rose tinted nose plugs blocking the stench from their nostrils....
O S resident

Ocean Springs, MS

#2 Apr 9, 2014
Concerned, you are correct. I too believe Baggett is not uprooting his family for a better opportunity but sees storm clouds on the horizon. The OSSB has spent, spent and spent until the money pot was empty. Thank goodness some of those big spenders of other peoples money are no longer on this board. The last two that left,Sharon Walker and Tim Taranto were the biggest problems. Now maybe some sanity can be used instead of trying to figure out how to further burden the working taxpayers who just can't take on anymore. And then there is the problems with the new superintendent. That also needs to be discussed.
concerned

Perkinston, MS

#3 Apr 10, 2014
O S resident wrote:
Concerned, you are correct. I too believe Baggett is not uprooting his family for a better opportunity but sees storm clouds on the horizon. The OSSB has spent, spent and spent until the money pot was empty. Thank goodness some of those big spenders of other peoples money are no longer on this board. The last two that left,Sharon Walker and Tim Taranto were the biggest problems. Now maybe some sanity can be used instead of trying to figure out how to further burden the working taxpayers who just can't take on anymore. And then there is the problems with the new superintendent. That also needs to be discussed.
You know, I don't really blame Ms. Coleman for much. She inherited a lot of what's coming down the pipeline. She's basically a janitor. The big spending plans happened half a decade ago & were initiated under Hirsch's watch. Though even he didn't really have that much say in the matter. Its more so the school board.

You are correct though -- hopefully the school board will clean up the situation. I find it humorous though that many view OSSD as "rich" just because they spend a lot of $.

What they don't get isn't that they're "rich" -- its that they're levered(too much debt) to the hilt. They've issued too many bonds, jacked up taxes more than they should & built a high school the size of the junior college....

That's why they're in trouble. Ms. Coleman was brought from out of town...I think as a "fall person" -- Hirsch retired while the getting was good. I think he knew what the score was too. Same with the budget lady who just announced her "retiring" -- it said she was leaving without a job set up.

Starkville is in the middle of nowhere. There's NOTHING up there but fields & trees. And the college. And if he's gonna be working @ the school he "ain't gonna be hanging at the college."

Its gonna be a mess cleaning up the Oktibbeha schools. They lucked out, Mr. Baggett is a good choice but even then he can't pull a miracle out of his hat when the kids are either uninterested or otherwise too stupid to learn the material.

But still -- if he was leaving for better pastures -- he'd go to Texas, or Mobile or Atlanta -- he would stay here...
concerned

Perkinston, MS

#4 Apr 10, 2014
*wouldn't stay here
O S resident

Ocean Springs, MS

#5 Apr 10, 2014
I hope one day we find out why the OS High School was placed in this far out location. So many questions to be answered. Who profited in this land deal? Go back and read the OSSB minutes during the time this was all being decided. You can see how hard the Walkers pushed for this. Who was the consultant working for the site contractor and general contractor? Many pieces to this puzzle. Why did the county supervisor get so involved in the permitting process. The site was mostly wetlands. Read the minutes of the OSSB and the JCB of S during this time period and you will get an idea of who wanted it there but we need to know why. Money is why in my opinion. Now the taxpayers are on the hook.
1fromStarkville

Starkville, MS

#6 Apr 28, 2014
Wow! Why don't you guys tell us folks up here in Starkville how you really feel! Apparently there is SOMETHING here for Mr. Baggett. I can think of about 108,000 things! You say we have nothing here, well, if your distinct is doing all of that overspending, you will soon have nothing there.

As for the county schools, there are many reasons for their problems, but children being too incapable of learning is not one of them.
Starkville Girl

Mississippi State, MS

#7 Jun 17, 2014
1fromStarkville wrote:
Wow! Why don't you guys tell us folks up here in Starkville how you really feel! Apparently there is SOMETHING here for Mr. Baggett. I can think of about 108,000 things! You say we have nothing here, well, if your distinct is doing all of that overspending, you will soon have nothing there.
As for the county schools, there are many reasons for their problems, but children being too incapable of learning is not one of them.
The kids in Oktibbeha County deserve the same education as any other child. There are several reasons for the District's inability to be successful, but I agree with 1fromStarkville, it's not the students. I've heard awesome things about Mr. Baggett and Starkville is fortunate to get him. Starkville should love and embrace each one of those children from the county and be the inspiration that they've not had - the inspiration that they deserve.
gulf

Pascagoula, MS

#8 Jun 18, 2014
1fromStarkville wrote:
One of my relatives went to college at State about 20 years ago & one of my younger relatives attended Starkville High for a time when my other relative was going to school up there.

As for you getting something -- I assume you are from what I recall of the Starkville city schools. Most of the professors there send their kids to the private academy up there. Mr. Baggett isn't going to Starkville because he likes the random city -- he's going there obviously because he wants to get his doctorate at State so he can then become a superintendent. I can't blame him for that. I'd do the same if I were him.

how to put this? I really liked your college, but I didn't care too much for Starkville the city...too isolated for my tastes.

As for the county schools....well, I actually know a lady from down here who used to work out in Maben I think it was at one of the schools -- I've heard the stories....

The state is dumping the kids off on the city district -- and well good luck. Its going to be hell trying to clean up that sloppy mess....
gulf

Pascagoula, MS

#9 Jun 18, 2014
Starkville Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
The kids in Oktibbeha County deserve the same education as any other child. There are several reasons for the District's inability to be successful, but I agree with 1fromStarkville, it's not the students. I've heard awesome things about Mr. Baggett and Starkville is fortunate to get him. Starkville should love and embrace each one of those children from the county and be the inspiration that they've not had - the inspiration that they deserve.
I love your university but I'm not a big fan of your city up there. That being said -- the older you get -- the more cynical you will become. You'll begin to realize that most of the county kids if they're lucky have nothing better than an enlisted military career to look forward too...

Maybe a career in law enforcement or something akint othat....

There's a reason the professors at State send their kids to Starkville Academy....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MSU Extension named Intelligent Community Insti... Oct 17 Ace Milner 4
East Mississippi graduate took 'TIME' to find h... Oct 1 Mississippi 1
MGCCC, Mississippi State partner in 'historic m... Aug '14 gulf 1
Sole Finalist Named for Sul Ross Presidency Jun '14 Student 2
Our Opinion: Debris removal creates an image fo... May '14 Propaganda 1
Booneville art teacher gets creative in the kit... (Apr '14) Apr '14 weather bee 1
Multiple factors influence teacher salary (Mar '14) Mar '14 Crime 1

Mississippi State University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE