Nearly half of Minnesotans favor abortion rights, survey says

Dec 20, 2009 Full story: Star Tribune 36

Nearly half of Minnesotans say that abortion should be a women's personal choice, according to a survey by St.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
speedy

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2009
That would mean the majority oppose abortion. Nice headline wording.
The Difference Is

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Dec 20, 2009
Those who favor abortion aren't encroaching on the lives of the religious zealots who are putting up anti-abortion billboards and protesting outside abortion clinics. You are wasting your time and money! Mind your own business. I thought god will dole out goodies and spankings up on a cloud in heaven. You wackos should probably get that tree trunk out of your own eye before worrying about the sliver in someone else's eye.

And keep going to the Catholic Church and giving them money. As the moral authority on ethics and sexual issues, they will always need your donations for defending the child molester priests! Great investment for you instead of the billboards.
Burst of Lethargy

Rockville, MD

#3 Dec 20, 2009
speedy wrote:
Maybe you should read more than just the headline, dear, if it's not too taxing for you. Here's what it says in the article:

About 63 percent of Minnesotans believe Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that ensured women have the right to abortions, should not be overturned. Among those who are 18 to 24 year olds, more than 80 percent do not want to see Roe v. Wade overturned.

Doesn't sound like you have a majority in agreement with you, after all.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 21, 2009
speedy wrote:
Typical mushy, meaningless liberal poll. When polls actually measure specifics, pro-aborts lose.

New CNN (no friend of conservatives it) poll: 63 percent of Americans oppose most or all abortions

"The new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released November 18, 2009 shows 61 percent oppose taxpayer funding of abortions while just 37 percent are supportive.

"The CNN poll goes further and finds that a majority of Americans, by a 51 to 45 percent margin, believe women should be required to use their own money to pay for abortions even if they have private health insurance and no government money is involved. They did not think health insurance should pay for abortions."

November 13-15, 2009 CNN/poll results of interviews with 1,014 adult Americans, including 928 registered voters ---

Abortion should be:
26%-- Legal under any circumstances
10%-- Legal under most circumstances
40%-- Legal in a few circumstances (rape, incest, endangered life of the mother)
23%-- Illegal in all circumstances
1%-- No opinion
whozyerdaddy

Lorain, OH

#5 Dec 21, 2009
New CNN (non typical,nonmushy,nonmeaningles s liberal)Poll.Only 23% against all circumstances v.s.26% for under any? That says it all.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 21, 2009
whozyerdaddy wrote:
New CNN (non typical,nonmushy,nonmeaningles s liberal)Poll.Only 23% against all circumstances v.s.26% for under any? That says it all.
Feeble attempt at liberal spin. CNN unspun poll results: 63 percent of Americans say 96 percent of all abortions should be illegal.

[**1 percent of abortions are from rape or incest --^ Guttmacher Institute,"Induced Abortion Facts in Brief" (2002)(13,000 out of 1.31 million abortions in 2000 were on account of rape or incest). Retrieved via InfoPlease 2007-01-07.

**2.8 percent of all abortions because of risk to maternal health: Bankole et al., "Reasons Why Women Have Induced Abortions: Evidence from 27 Countries", International Family Planning Perspectives (1998). Also see Lawrence B. Finer, Lori F. Frohwirth, Lindsay A. Dauphinee, Susheela Singh, and Ann M. Moore, "Reasons U.S. Women Have Abortions: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives", Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 37(3):110-118 (September 2005).]

November 13-15, 2009 CNN/poll results of interviews with 1,014 adult Americans, including 928 registered voters ---

Abortion should be:
26%-- Legal under any circumstances
10%-- Legal under most circumstances
40%-- Legal in a few circumstances (rape, incest, endangered life of the mother)
23%-- Illegal in all circumstances
yeah sure

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Dec 21, 2009
whozyerdaddy wrote:
You are right, that is where the argument lies, between those 2 camps. For the rest of us it isn't a huge issue. I'm personally opposed to it, however it is legal so I adhere to my convictions in my personal life and leave that decision to the people it directly affects.
yeah sure

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 21, 2009
The Difference Is wrote:
Those who favor abortion aren't encroaching on the lives of the religious zealots who are putting up anti-abortion billboards and protesting outside abortion clinics. You are wasting your time and money! Mind your own business. I thought god will dole out goodies and spankings up on a cloud in heaven. You wackos should probably get that tree trunk out of your own eye before worrying about the sliver in someone else's eye.
And keep going to the Catholic Church and giving them money. As the moral authority on ethics and sexual issues, they will always need your donations for defending the child molester priests! Great investment for you instead of the billboards.
Why so hateful? And why don't you follow your advice and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS? What a spiteful hypocrite.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#9 Dec 21, 2009
This was a telephone poll of a random 550 adults. I wonder why they didn't make the data more meaningful by addressing gender? I fall into the 40%, that abortion should be far less convenient and easily available than it is but a last option in life and death situations. I understand it's not a decision reached lightly in too many cases, but in too many cases it is. If the mother is in imminent danger and can be saved by sacrificing the fetus, than that must be discussed between her, the child's father, and the doctor, without the final say of the state. I believe in reproductive rights for women, and there are literally hundreds of methods of birth control. Abortion should not be one of them.
Tom Shakopee

Shakopee, MN

#10 Dec 21, 2009
Pioneer Press, this is not 1942 Germany and Adolf Hitler is not in the Oval Office, though the current resident is not too far off politically. How stupid and nieve do you think the general public is? A majority of Minnesotans are against abortion rights.

This is a great example that Liberalism is a mental d i s o r d e r.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 21, 2009
Burst of Lethargy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should read more than just the headline, dear, if it's not too taxing for you. Here's what it says in the article:
About 63 percent of Minnesotans believe Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that ensured women have the right to abortions, should not be overturned. Among those who are 18 to 24 year olds, more than 80 percent do not want to see Roe v. Wade overturned.
Apparently having a right to an abortion and overturning a law are two different questions.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 21, 2009
ZenBirdist wrote:
This was a telephone poll of a random 550 adults. I wonder why they didn't make the data more meaningful by addressing gender? I fall into the 40%, that abortion should be far less convenient and easily available than it is but a last option in life and death situations. I understand it's not a decision reached lightly in too many cases, but in too many cases it is. If the mother is in imminent danger and can be saved by sacrificing the fetus, than that must be discussed between her, the child's father, and the doctor, without the final say of the state. I believe in reproductive rights for women, and there are literally hundreds of methods of birth control. Abortion should not be one of them.
I wonder about the randomness attribute. I got a phone call the other day looking for my opinion on political issues. The first question they asked was what year I was born? I told them and then they said they already had their quota from that age group. Thank you very much; goodbye.
Scuba

De Forest, WI

#13 Dec 21, 2009
speedy wrote:
Haha, I don't really have a position on this, but yeah it sounded "overly thought about".
speedy

United States

#14 Dec 21, 2009
Burst of Lethargy wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I read the article. Thank you for bringing up the legal question part of the article which has no bearing on my comment.
USA is Dead

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 22, 2009
The difference between the repuke-fascists and the fascist Dems= repukes are fine being ordered to allow the government to pay for voluntary abortions. The fascist Dems will mandate them when the "health care" hijack kicks in. They will call them Green Abortions, to prevent as many hated Murkkkans being born as possible. The fascist Dems believe human life is the enemy of Mother Earth, and will mandate abortions and sterilizations of the racial groups they hate the most.
stormshadoe

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Dec 22, 2009
Numbers dont lie.....but numbers can be manipulated to say anyhing you want them to say.

Polls can always be worded in such a way as to favor one agenda or another.
The Real Difference Is

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Dec 22, 2009
The Difference Is wrote:
"Those who favor abortion aren't encroaching on the lives of the religious zealots..."
Yeah, but those who favor abortion kinda encroach on that little life that they end.

“Love requires sacrifice”

Since: Jan 09

South Saint Paul

#18 Dec 22, 2009
"I thought god will dole out goodies and spankings up on a cloud in heaven"

There will be spankings!^_^
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Dec 22, 2009
Burst of Lethargy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Among those who are 18 to 24 year olds, more than 80 percent do not want to see Roe v. Wade overturned."

I shocked, shocked that the young and the clueless want to be able to screw their brains out with consequence.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Dec 22, 2009
without consequence, rather.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota House taps state surplus for another ... Apr '14 TooAverage 41
Charges say St. Paul man, upset over ticket, th... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Joe Blow 1
Colorado's Defeat of Income Tax Hike Victory fo... (Nov '13) Nov '13 David Laskowski 1
Winona firefighters trying to contain block-siz... (Nov '13) Nov '13 naya jo 1
Lines form outside Chick-fil-A sites in Maple G... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Britt 1
Lawmakers wrap 'most partisan session' ever (May '13) May '13 GunShow1 1
Lower tuition for immigrants becomes law in Col... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mah 1

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE