Blog: Sculptor Michael D. Bigger dies

Blog: Sculptor Michael D. Bigger dies

There are 1 comment on the Star Tribune story from Mar 2, 2011, titled Blog: Sculptor Michael D. Bigger dies. In it, Star Tribune reports that:

Last update: February 23, 2011 - 2:52 PM Michael Bigger portrait by MCAD professor Rik Sferra Known internationally for his large, colorful metal compositions and outsized personality, sculptor Michael D. Bigger was also a charismatic teacher whose dynamic classroom style energized generations of students at Minneapolis College of Art and Design ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star Tribune.

jack warshaw

Newport Pagnell, UK

#1 Mar 4, 2011
I am sad to learn of Mikes, death. I last saw him at Miami University School of Architecture about 1962 and have only just learned from a classmate about his amazing career. He was a few years ahead of me and had recently started making steel sculptures in what spare time he could find from his studies. I remember his as a dark haired, handsome, friendly, accessible guy and a talented architecture student. Fellow students and I were very impressed then with the energy and orginality of his work, which seemed to bear influences of Alexander Calder and others working in steel. It was large, but not quite so monumental then. Seeing it now I really like it and find it its forms and monumentality parallels with the great Henry Moore.

It is fascinating to learn about the career turns of many Miami graduates- was there someting in that '60s atmosphere which gave our generation the confidence to question and try new things? Some became painters, others musicians, another makes banjos, and so on- all creative artists. I myself pursued a part time career here in the UK as a singer/songwriter while earning a living as a historic building conservation architect.

Mike's friends, family and community will I hope take some comfort and celebrate his having lived such a creative and dedicated life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis College of Art & Design Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Full Fashion Panic features looks inspired by c... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Clique 1
News The Walker Art Center opens 'Frank Gaard: Poiso... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Jerry 2
News Michelle Bachmann isn't insane (Jun '11) Sep '11 Kesla15 237
News Executive profile: Connie Lindstrom (Aug '10) Aug '10 sounds nice 1
News Artist to sleep in gallery as part of exhibition (Aug '10) Aug '10 nice 1
News Graffiti gets all warm 'n' fuzzy (Aug '10) Aug '10 baby hummingbird 1
News Arts center hosts local artist's abstract exhibit (Aug '10) Aug '10 bird lovers out t... 1