Tennessee Heritage: More early histor...

Tennessee Heritage: More early history of the Carter County frontier

There are 1 comment on the The Elizabethton Star story from Jun 18, 2012, titled Tennessee Heritage: More early history of the Carter County frontier. In it, The Elizabethton Star reports that:

Simon Bundy settled on Gap Creek, north of present-day Roan Mountain in 1770, but most of the newcomers settled on the "Watauga Old Fields" - " the large strip of land that contained very fertile soil - but no timber - when the first white explorers came to the area.The Old Fields extended from the Bee Cliff on the Watauga River to the mouth ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Elizabethton Star.

Wm Charles Hughes

Tucson, AZ

#1 Jun 19, 2012
My family history goes back 100s of years in East Tenn and Western NC. My 6th GGfather was Colonel Andrew Hampton. He fought at the battle of Kings Mountain, SC. Col Hampton was on my Dad's side. My mothers side, Grandpa and Grandma (Sid and Sena Jane Edwards lived at the head of Cove Creek, what is now Stockton Road. I beleave the old home place is now owned by the Scotish Highlanders Assoc. I am now 63 years old and the happiest days of my life were spent with my Edwards Grandparents. I can remember all the neighbors back then. Spence Stockton, Dave and Osma Hughes, Burt and Bonnie Barnett, Fairbank and Aunt Cardy Hughes, Rosevelt and Edder Hughes, Clyde and Helen Hughes, Leroy Stockton, Carl Hughes and many many more, all wonderful friends and neighbors. My grandparents' house burned down in 1954, I was 5 years old. All the neighbors brought things for Grandpa and Grandma to help them get back on their feet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milligan College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Johnson County education system has changed... (Jun '13) Apr '15 Hill Billy Boy 8
News Professor's journey traces Daniel Boone's steps (Jun '13) Oct '13 Barbourvilla 3
Cell phone coverage (Aug '13) Aug '13 Valgalrdh 1
News Williams known as sympathetic, sensible (Nov '12) Nov '12 okd 1
News TTC will graduate 285 students Thursday in cere... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Congrats 1
News Chamber hosts annual dinner; Mike Barnett named... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Kate 1
person search (Apr '12) Apr '12 kniterider 1
More from around the web