4-year-old Greeneville boy attacked b...

4-year-old Greeneville boy attacked by dog at SC party

There are 43 comments on the WVLT-TV Knoxville story from Dec 20, 2011, titled 4-year-old Greeneville boy attacked by dog at SC party. In it, WVLT-TV Knoxville reports that:

A 4--year-old Tennessee boy is recovering after being attacked by a pit bulldog at a family Christmas party in South Carolina.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVLT-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
red

Johnson City, TN

#1 Dec 27, 2011
Okay was pitbull neccesary/Could it not have been worded dog.This predijuce against these dogs are getting ouuta control,lets post every time a chihuha bites someone or a scottish terrier,how abt that?.The pitbulls were the military poster dog,because they ere so Loyale to their owner,they are very protective of their family as any dog w/good sense would be.picking at these dogs are as bad as picking at different races.It's not the dog's fault if a person has any doubt of their dog not being able to handle a crowd of people keep it away.My Ex was,well had half his face chewed off by a GERMAN SHEPARD,which are used by police,very good family dog the lady that owned him cld not have children so obviously the dog was pampered & went everywhere with her,they were taking a Christmas picture & the flash of the camera freaked the dog out & it bit him,so what about that.What ABOUT all these other breeds of dogs that bite but never get mentined?We all know it happens & we all know it is not ALWAYS A PITBULL>i haved owned bred these dogs for yrs,it's all in how they are treated at home as too why they react the way they do.A mix dog w/pit in it,will eventually if not sooner go crazy in the head,.I worked as a vet tech for many yrs & was told by the vet that any mix of pit & another was not a good combination.All I am sayin is why is it always the pitbull bites that makes the news?WHY???The Lord put these animals on this earth for us to treat w/love & respect & if not they will b vicous,all I am meaning just because it is a pit,doesen't mean it is evil,at all.My daughter got bit twice n one day by a scottie,did that ake the newsZ?did they freak at the hospital,& the funny thing,it was a different scottie each timeat a different place,so should I hate all these dogs,of this breed?.No I do not b-cause I am not a narrow minded person.It a damn shame.People always gotta blame something/one other than theirselves,sad.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2 Dec 28, 2011
I agree 100%. One of the best dogs we ever had was a pit bull and she wouldn't bite her own flees. I have a dachshund that has bit and left scares, so what about that breed?
BrandyRanly

Bradenton, FL

#3 Jun 11, 2012
Yes, it was a pit. I have also owned pits, so yes it is partly due to it's upbringing. The reason pits make headlines is because of their strength and bite force is greater than most, also their jaws lock into place. The pit in question was raised fairly well, as a guard dog. Some breeds are better around kids than others. The dog was on a lead attached to the house about ten feet from the back door. My son only walked outside to eat his apple, I guess the dog just got the apple confused with my child s head. He is only 4! Not old enough to realize he wandered into that animals area!
home run

United States

#4 Jun 11, 2012
I just left a children's softball game. A couple walked in leading two HUGE pits on large chains. Really........at a kids game, with many,many more younger children around. Too much noise and commotion. It would be safer for them to just stay home and play with a loaded gun. The last pit that walked across my place was instantly cut down with 00 buck shot.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#5 Jun 11, 2012
home run wrote:
I just left a children's softball game. A couple walked in leading two HUGE pits on large chains. Really........at a kids game, with many,many more younger children around. Too much noise and commotion. It would be safer for them to just stay home and play with a loaded gun. The last pit that walked across my place was instantly cut down with 00 buck shot.
Oh please, My Chihuahua will bite you faster than my pit will....It's all about how you raise and socialize them as puppies...

Putting all pits in the same catagory is in "my opinion" makes you pretty closed minded and ignorant!
home run

Greer, SC

#6 Jun 12, 2012
Goodgod wrote:
<quoted text>Oh please, My Chihuahua will bite you faster than my pit will....It's all about how you raise and socialize them as puppies...

Putting all pits in the same catagory is in "my opinion" makes you pretty closed minded and ignorant!
chihuahua's or any other small breed cannot do the damage that larger dogs can do. Pits are have been bred into the walking muscle they are today. You can't change genetics with love.
revright

United States

#7 Jun 12, 2012
Chihuahua's have mauled and killed hundreds of people in US last year!! B careful Pit Lovers if one of those 15# man eating beasts get close to you "dog".....How can anyone even get close to justifying owning one !!!???
revright

United States

#8 Jun 12, 2012
Pit Lovers, Underwear Showing, Hood Lookalikes, they will soon grow up, thank goodness!
just sayin

Lawndale, NC

#9 Jun 12, 2012
My daughter has 4 pits . A couple of weeks ago a white German shepard came into her yard jumped the fence & attacked her dogs. She called the law the humane society, everyone she could think of to help her. Nobody showed up til the next day. That dog stayed n her yard "after they got the dogs broke up" until the next day. They were terrified . It tore her non aggressive " dogs " to pieces. It hid under her car so they couldn't get to .

“You gotta stand for something”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#10 Jun 12, 2012
home run wrote:
Ahh another pit hater! Sweetie it's not the breed you should hate, it's the deed. This could have been any breed that attacked this child. The only reason it was publicized is for the shock factor bully breed attacks provide for narrow minded fools. I own a pit. He lives in the house with me, my hubby, and our 3 kids. You couldn't ask for a more loving , faithful, smarter or friendly dog. He's honestly the best dog I have ever owned. He goes everywhere with us INCLUDING the kids ball games. When my daughter was 3 years old she was attacked by a dog, it was a border collie. It was reported to law enforcement, her pediatrician, and the health department. Was it published in the paper? Hell no, because they only want to publish bully breed attacks. My heart goes out to the injured 4 year old and his family, but this could have been any breed. The greatest percentage of dog attacks are not published due to the lack of shock factor. I hate how media targets certain breeds and convinently omits the rest. It sounds like you need to spend some quality time with a pit as do the rest of the haters.
lovemybully

United States

#11 Jun 12, 2012
Jenny H from the block wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh another pit hater! Sweetie it's not the breed you should hate, it's the deed. This could have been any breed that attacked this child. The only reason it was publicized is for the shock factor bully breed attacks provide for narrow minded fools. I own a pit. He lives in the house with me, my hubby, and our 3 kids. You couldn't ask for a more loving , faithful, smarter or friendly dog. He's honestly the best dog I have ever owned. He goes everywhere with us INCLUDING the kids ball games. When my daughter was 3 years old she was attacked by a dog, it was a border collie. It was reported to law enforcement, her pediatrician, and the health department. Was it published in the paper? Hell no, because they only want to publish bully breed attacks. My heart goes out to the injured 4 year old and his family, but this could have been any breed. The greatest percentage of dog attacks are not published due to the lack of shock factor. I hate how media targets certain breeds and convinently omits the rest. It sounds like you need to spend some quality time with a pit as do the rest of the haters.

Well said
Rev Jones

Marion, VA

#12 Jun 12, 2012
pit bull dogs are crazy

Location hidden

#13 Jun 12, 2012
Rev Jones wrote:
pit bull dogs are crazy
...says the retarded preacher with unchristian oppinions and unchristian ways. You are spam!( DON'T FEED THE TROLL)
Animal Controls Job

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Jun 12, 2012
just sayin wrote:
My daughter has 4 pits . A couple of weeks ago a white German shepard came into her yard jumped the fence & attacked her dogs. She called the law the humane society, everyone she could think of to help her. Nobody showed up til the next day. That dog stayed n her yard "after they got the dogs broke up" until the next day. They were terrified . It tore her non aggressive " dogs " to pieces. It hid under her car so they couldn't get to .
This would have been animal contol's job. Not law enforcement or the humane society.
dog

Greer, SC

#15 Jun 12, 2012
All dogs should be shot.

Location hidden

#16 Jun 12, 2012
Animal Controls Job wrote:
<quoted text>
This would have been animal contol's job. Not law enforcement or the humane society.
Umm...I hate to burst your bubble because I know you think you're one up on the previous poster, but it's protocol for the humane society or law enforcement to contact animal control in this situation. So it shouldn't have made a difference...the results were the same. The poster was making a highlighted effort to prove that her daughter didn't recive help due to her pits being attacked. It is also implied that had the pits been attacking the german shepherd help would have been sent. I'm afraid you missed the whole point.
Misty

Dickson, TN

#17 Jun 12, 2012
BrandyRanly wrote:
Yes, it was a pit. I have also owned pits, so yes it is partly due to it's upbringing. The reason pits make headlines is because of their strength and bite force is greater than most, also their jaws lock into place. The pit in question was raised fairly well, as a guard dog. Some breeds are better around kids than others. The dog was on a lead attached to the house about ten feet from the back door. My son only walked outside to eat his apple, I guess the dog just got the apple confused with my child s head. He is only 4! Not old enough to realize he wandered into that animals area!
NO...pits do not have locking jaws...no dog does. If the dogs was raised right..it would not have bit a child.
lovemybully

United States

#18 Jun 12, 2012
dog wrote:
All dogs should be shot.

Shut up douche you most likely a cat lover. Stinking littel things.
Animal Controls Job

Murfreesboro, TN

#19 Jun 12, 2012
Jenny H from the block wrote:
<quoted text>It is also implied that had the pits been attacking the german shepherd help would have been sent.
Where do you get that from the poster's comment?

Location hidden

#20 Jun 13, 2012
Animal Controls Job wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get that from the poster's comment?
Read it again...I said it was implied.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medical University of South Carolina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Psychiatrists Must Face Possibility that Medica... Jan '17 Anonymous 2
News Still more questions than answers about ADHD (Jun '15) Apr '16 Mental problems 2
News James Edwards, former S.C. Gov., dies at age 87 (Dec '14) Dec '14 Le Jimbo 1
News HistoryMakers oral history archive more than ha... (Aug '14) Aug '14 paddyomalley 1
News Former Smoker-Led Intervention Program Expanded... (Aug '09) Sep '13 bud_schmones 3
News Magnet device aims to treat depression patients (Oct '08) Sep '13 Pills the deal 3
News Buckley receives American Psychiatric Associati... (May '13) May '13 HumanSpirit 15
More from around the web