MCLA Professor explores African Ameri...

MCLA Professor explores African American history in Berkshire County

There are 82 comments on the Capital News 9 story from Oct 1, 2010, titled MCLA Professor explores African American history in Berkshire County. In it, Capital News 9 reports that:

A history professor at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts has dedicated her research to tracing the history of African Americans in the Berkshires and with the help of a new grant, doing so just got easier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Capital News 9.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
wondering

AOL

#2 Oct 2, 2010
Perhaps the cruelest comment ever made on this forum. People like you are mean-spirited and contribute nothing toward this nation's well-being. If you're ever in need of a life-saving procedure, will you reject an African-American EMT or physician? Think twice before you make such stupid remarks.
cbb

Bolton Landing, NY

#3 Oct 2, 2010
I too think wondering's comment is off base, but here is a valid question.

If you were having a medical procedure done, would you even entertain the thought that an African American doctor may possibly be a doctor because of any degree of affirmative action and not 100% merit?
The Professor

Springfield, MA

#4 Oct 3, 2010
Why are there no white male courses being offered? Why no united white man college fund? Why no national association for the advancement of white people? Why no quoto for white people. After all they were thrown to the lions by the Romans.Why are the prisons not packed with white people? Any leftist cry babies care to explain? I dare any of you to prove me wrong when I state this very simple fact. Just about every invention worth talking about that makes all of our lives what they are today are the work of white males so why not give them credit with out the usual racist crapola name calling? Could it be the life long mental disorder of liberalism prevents you from speaking the truth?

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#5 Oct 3, 2010
Mr. The Professor,
Because only 12% of the US population identifies itself as african-american, when only 12% of the US population identifies itself as anglo-american, that will probably change.
All the best,
Annie
chbpod

Barrington, RI

#6 Oct 3, 2010
The Professor wrote:
Why are there no white male courses being offered? Why no united white man college fund? Why no national association for the advancement of white people? Why no quoto for white people. After all they were thrown to the lions by the Romans.Why are the prisons not packed with white people? Any leftist cry babies care to explain? I dare any of you to prove me wrong when I state this very simple fact. Just about every invention worth talking about that makes all of our lives what they are today are the work of white males so why not give them credit with out the usual racist crapola name calling? Could it be the life long mental disorder of liberalism prevents you from speaking the truth?
For what it's worth I taught a college course entitled Real Men for 20-25 years-----using movies--- relevant readings with rather extensive analytical papers---in some of the movies you could almost smell the testosterone---chbpod
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#7 Oct 4, 2010
Oh, so good to see some of the local inselects have seen the absurdity of this item.

It's a college course, located in the back-back-water of the state, dealing with an Afro-American history of the local. There was some Big Shot Black Man in the South County who did some amazing things. And a has-been,(or never was) perfessor points out that blacks are a major drain, contribute little, and just get in his way. Good thing racism is dead.

Just a thought: college is a place you go to learn about stuff you never thought of learning --- it's called a college education. The major hang up here is that one must WANT to learn to get in. If not, then you're out. Stupidity or ignorance is nothing to be boastful about.
George

Albany, NY

#8 Oct 5, 2010
The Professor wrote:
Why are there no white male courses being offered? Why no united white man college fund? Why no national association for the advancement of white people?
Most history courses deal with the accomplishments of white males. If you glanced at a college catalogue for even a second, you'd know that. Why begrudge a college professor who wants to study something different?

Are you so ignorant of our history that you need to ask why there is no national association for the advancement of white people?
Jermaine Malik Floyd

Waterford, CT

#9 Oct 5, 2010
The Professor wrote:
"The Professor," there are plenty Caucasian males courses offered. False American History 101 to the 400s. False European History 101 to the 400s. Sociology 101 to the 400s. Courses that places Caucasian males on levels the truth does not bears. I am not claiming all acts by Caucasian males documented are false or misconceptions; rather the truth, nothing but the truth, is not in those courses.

"The Professor," why no Caucasian American college fund? Caucasian Americans do have college funds - it is called Sallie Mae, banks and government. The reason why Africans in America needed a college fund because till this day we, Africans in America, find difficulties getting adequate funding to go to higher education. Yes, other ethnicities have difficulties too. However, the other ethnicities are not charging of this system so nothing changes. If Caucasian Americans, the majority group were to complain about the cost of tuitions (stopped paying the costs), quickly tuitions would come down.

"The Professor," there is no quotes - that is a lie. More so, who enforces Affirmative Actions? Other Caucasian Americans. Affirmative Actions benefits Caucasian American females way more than Africans in America. I wish my people would campaign to end Affirmative Inactions while demanding more transparency in hiring and selections with serious violations for transgressors.

"The Professor," Caucasians were not thrown to the lions. It was an Africoid people that the Romans (Caucasians) threw to the lions as sport. Caucasians of the Jewish Faith, persons Britian and the US placed in Israel, are not the original Jews. They are as Caucasoid as the Romans.

"The Professor," the reason the prisons are NOT filled with Caucasian Americans - though according to THE FBI.gov - Caucasian Americans commit the overwhelming majority of the crime is because America lacks justice. As a result, the prisons are tools to maintain status quo while providing jobs to minimal skilled members of the majority group and assimilating persons from disenfranchised groups allowing the maintenance of social programs. It has little to do with punishing crime or deterring crime. Have you noticed the numbers in prisons? Do you think America is less violent or the opportunity for crimes are less?

Lastly, liberalism and conservatism is one in the same. Ideologies which demands government of the few at the expense of the many. There is no difference between the two. Therefore, how can you complain?
Professor

Springfield, MA

#10 Oct 5, 2010
Jermaine Malik Floyd wrote:
<quoted text>"The Professor," there are plenty Caucasian males courses offered. False American History 101 to the 400s. False European History 101 to the 400s. Sociology 101 to the 400s. Courses that places Caucasian males on levels the truth does not bears. I am not claiming all acts by Caucasian males documented are false or misconceptions; rather the truth, nothing but the truth, is not in those courses.
"The Professor," why no Caucasian American college fund? Caucasian Americans do have college funds - it is called Sallie Mae, banks and government. The reason why Africans in America needed a college fund because till this day we, Africans in America, find difficulties getting adequate funding to go to higher education. Yes, other ethnicities have difficulties too. However, the other ethnicities are not charging of this system so nothing changes. If Caucasian Americans, the majority group were to complain about the cost of tuitions (stopped paying the costs), quickly tuitions would come down.
"The Professor," there is no quotes - that is a lie. More so, who enforces Affirmative Actions? Other Caucasian Americans. Affirmative Actions benefits Caucasian American females way more than Africans in America. I wish my people would campaign to end Affirmative Inactions while demanding more transparency in hiring and selections with serious violations for transgressors.
"The Professor," Caucasians were not thrown to the lions. It was an Africoid people that the Romans (Caucasians) threw to the lions as sport. Caucasians of the Jewish Faith, persons Britian and the US placed in Israel, are not the original Jews. They are as Caucasoid as the Romans.
"The Professor," the reason the prisons are NOT filled with Caucasian Americans - though according to THE FBI.gov - Caucasian Americans commit the overwhelming majority of the crime is because America lacks justice. As a result, the prisons are tools to maintain status quo while providing jobs to minimal skilled members of the majority group and assimilating persons from disenfranchised groups allowing the maintenance of social programs. It has little to do with punishing crime or deterring crime. Have you noticed the numbers in prisons? Do you think America is less violent or the opportunity for crimes are less?
Lastly, liberalism and conservatism is one in the same. Ideologies which demands government of the few at the expense of the many. There is no difference between the two. Therefore, how can you complain?
You are living proof that liberalism is a life long mental disorder and if you are white you are suffering from terminal liberalism and the only cure for that is a self administered overdose of Smith & Wesson.If you are black wake up and smell the roses.
hard dude

Easthampton, MA

#11 Oct 5, 2010
Well said perfesser. It's taken too long for this country to come around to our true national sensibilities. Yup -- someone with a different opinion has a mental disorder, but, as you suggest, the best way to deal with that is for the opposing opinionator kill himself.

I haven't been watching that much TV, but thank you perfessor for bringing me up to date. Just curious, between us two, who do you think is gonna be doing the shooting?
amused

Troy, NY

#12 Oct 5, 2010
Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You are living proof that liberalism is a life long mental disorder and if you are white you are suffering from terminal liberalism and the only cure for that is a self administered overdose of Smith & Wesson.If you are black wake up and smell the roses.
Nicely thought out responce to SOME valid points. Instead of trying to prove your point, you resort to calling people names. You should change your name to "Romper Room Drop-out"
Jermaine Malik Floyd

Waterford, CT

#13 Oct 5, 2010
Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but it is you who are living proof that embracing lies and misconceptions is terminal because lies and misconceptions kills the mind. I am not a Caucasian American; I am an African in America. I am awoke thus I will pass on your suggestion.
Yoga Man

Allentown, PA

#14 Oct 5, 2010
It will be a good day, and is coming soon despite the race baiting Mr Obama, when we can drop the hyphenated crap and simply be Americans. As won not born in this country I cherish every moment the opportunity this great country provides and my dark brown skin makes no difference.
George

Albany, NY

#15 Oct 5, 2010
Yoga Man wrote:
It will be a good day, and is coming soon despite the race baiting Mr Obama, when we can drop the hyphenated crap and simply be Americans. As won not born in this country I cherish every moment the opportunity this great country provides and my dark brown skin makes no difference.
Yoga, this has nothing to do with Obama. This professor from MCLA wants to study the lives of African-Americans in Berkshire County. It's not particularly well documented. You may not like the hyphen, but how else would you describe them in this context? You could say she wants to study the lives of Americans in Berkshire County, but for this purpose that is a meaningless statement as it would not focus in on the subset of Americans she wants to study.
George

Albany, NY

#16 Oct 5, 2010
Jermaine Malik Floyd wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry but it is you who are living proof that embracing lies and misconceptions is terminal because lies and misconceptions kills the mind. I am not a Caucasian American; I am an African in America. I am awoke thus I will pass on your suggestion.
Which part of Africa are you from?
Yoga Man

Allentown, PA

#17 Oct 5, 2010
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Yoga, this has nothing to do with Obama. This professor from MCLA wants to study the lives of African-Americans in Berkshire County. It's not particularly well documented. You may not like the hyphen, but how else would you describe them in this context? You could say she wants to study the lives of Americans in Berkshire County, but for this purpose that is a meaningless statement as it would not focus in on the subset of Americans she wants to study.
Well Mr George you bring up good points and thank you for making me think. I'm just sick of the partisan racial nonsense.
George

Albany, NY

#18 Oct 5, 2010
Yoga Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Mr George you bring up good points and thank you for making me think. I'm just sick of the partisan racial nonsense.
It's a tough tightrope to walk, but if you are studying the actual experiences of a specific group it's a differentiation that needs to be made. And if the historian sticks to an objective viewpoint, it shouldn't be a problem.
wow

Lenox, MA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
There actually is a wealth of african american history in the berkshires... as wierd as it may seem . WEB DuBois , Elizabeth Freeman ( Mum Bett),Samuel Harrison, Dorothy Reid Amos , Frank Grant.. there are other notable names ... maybe the problem is that positive history concerning african americans isnt made enough of in the berkshires ???
Reason

Lee, MA

#20 Oct 5, 2010
Yoga Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just sick of the partisan racial nonsense.
I hear you YoYo Man. I'm sick of the Tea Party too.
lijjk

Dover, DE

#21 Oct 5, 2010
Boogi Beater wrote:
Why would a grant be needed to trace the prison records?
kk''

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BCC, MCLA to shift Intermodal Center facilities... Apr '15 DCF are Monsters 2
News Pittsfield Residents Plead Case For New School... Mar '15 Praxis33 10
News College-cost strategies for students, parents Mar '15 Praxis33 2
News Investigative journalist Jose Antonio Vargas to... (Nov '14) Nov '14 STOMP AN ILLEGAL ... 1
News MCLA May Be Resource for North Adams Housing... (Aug '14) Sep '14 Some Guy From Adams 5
News FSU: Students may pay if no hike in funding (Jun '14) Jun '14 Jtn 10
News Searching for the 'Virgin Recluse' (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lavender Poet 1
More from around the web