Obama family in the White House wouldn't make it less white

Jul 13, 2008 Full story: www.star-telegram.com 1,638

With the help of a 1972 movie that most people have never seen, I want to say something about Barack Obama’s candidacy that many people (especially white people)are thinking, but wouldn’t say aloud except to their closest friends.

Full Story
First Prev
of 82
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#1 Jul 13, 2008
The Obamas will move into the White House next January 20. And two things will occur.

The nation will get used to it. We're a great people.

The sun will rise on January 21, same as every other day.

And we'll all go forward.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Oarsman 41

Montgomery, AL

#2 Jul 13, 2008
R. Kelly will stay in the Lincoln Bedroom. Wesley Snipes will never pay taxes again. Ray Nagin will grin from ear to ear. And the word Black Hole will be removed from the racist science books. Bravo America! Bravo!

“I just hate stupid people”

Since: Apr 07

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#3 Jul 13, 2008
strut2k wrote:
The Obamas will move into the White House next January 20. And two things will occur.
McGovern,Mondale,Dukakis,Gore, Kerry and coming soon....Obama. THE LOSERS CLUB.
polu

Australia

#4 Jul 13, 2008
waiting in anticipation for that day 2 come..hurrraaayyyy. Goodluck to Obama....
amvet

United States

#5 Jul 13, 2008
snipes
amvet

United States

#6 Jul 13, 2008

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#7 Jul 13, 2008
polu wrote:
waiting in anticipation for that day 2 come..hurrraaayyyy. Goodluck to Obama....
Have you had your head stuck up a kangaroos ass again?
amvet

United States

#8 Jul 13, 2008
where would he park his esk-a-laid
amvet

United States

#9 Jul 13, 2008
east coast west coast will fix his azzzzz home bizzzkit
valerie

Santa Rosa, CA

#10 Jul 13, 2008
That opinion piece is just plain dumb.

Most Americans don't have anything against an eventual black president, for heaven's sake.

But most white Americans will not vote for McCain only because he is white. They will have some other reason to place their trust in him.

White Americans will not refuse to vote for obama only because he is black. They will have a reason for not placing their trust in him

Can the same be said of black voters?

(Btw, I have met a huge amount of white people who plan on voting obama, so enough with the racist crap, OK.)

Many delegates in the Dem Party were furious at having obama forced down their throats, however, by Howard Dean and Co. They wanted a candidate who they felt could WIN an election, not make a hackneyed statement to the world about racism in America. That is not what a presidential election is supposed to be about. It is supposed to be about governing the country for 4 years. How does electing a black man help America be governed for 4 years? How?

If you vote for a candidate solely on the basis of gender (women for Hillary), color (blacks for obama), you get what you deserve, I'd say.

May the best candidate win.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Josh Burnes

Wentzville, MO

#11 Jul 13, 2008
I will vote for Obama on election day. It's time for a change. John McCain to me looks like walking death. I believe that if McCain wins we will go through the same BS we have endured with Good Ole Dumbass George W. Bush. It's not about racism to many. but as a white man I personally know many white americans who have said they will not vote for Obama because he is black and the country is not ready for a black president. I do not agree with them, Obama is the truth that will lead our country into into a euphoric state. One last statement of closure remember this OBAMA on Election Day
Yes We Can

Monterey, CA

#12 Jul 13, 2008
It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.

Yes we can.

It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.

Yes we can.

It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.

Yes we can.

It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots.

A President who chose the moon as our new frontier.

And a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.

Yes we can to justice and equality.

Yes we can….Yes we can…. Yes we can… Yes we can.

Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can repair this world.

Yes we can… Yes we can… Yes we can… Yes we can…

We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.

We want change…. We want change…We want change…

We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics...they will only grow louder and more dissonant ..........

We've been asked to pause for a reality check. We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.

But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about….

Hope…

We want change… We want change… We want change….

Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America.

That we are not as divided as our politics suggests;

That we are one people.

We are one nation.

And together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast.

From sea to shining sea --

Yes~! We~! Can~!…Yes~! We~! Can~!…Yes~! We~! Can~!…Yes~! We~! Can~!…

Obama ‘08
Oarsman 41

Montgomery, AL

#14 Jul 13, 2008
Josh Burnes wrote:
I will vote for Obama on election day. It's time for a change. John McCain to me looks like walking death. I believe that if McCain wins we will go through the same BS we have endured with Good Ole Dumbass George W. Bush. It's not about racism to many. but as a white man I personally know many white americans who have said they will not vote for Obama because he is black and the country is not ready for a black president. I do not agree with them, Obama is the truth that will lead our country into into a euphoric state. One last statement of closure remember this OBAMA on Election Day
Euphoric state? Are you volunteering to be the pivot man?
The Man

South San Francisco, CA

#16 Jul 13, 2008
Perhaps we should remember that 7.1/2 years ago "the man" in the White House would not be someone who would turn out to be George Bush and be one of the worst presidents in history.

Heck and he is a good ol' white boy.

And if McCain were the next "the man" in the White House we would get the same ol' boy who himself said he does not know anything about the economy and as described above is "walking death".

There are people who cannot get past the color issue even if they agreed on every other other aspect in the candidate's position, character, etc. And for them, nothing will change that bigotry.

“Reality try it youll like it.”

Since: Jun 08

New Yorker

#17 Jul 13, 2008
strut2k wrote:
Wrong. Obama like Dukakis will go down and back to the senate to gain some experience.

“Reality try it youll like it.”

Since: Jun 08

New Yorker

#18 Jul 13, 2008
polu wrote:
Why does a foreigner care about who wins here. Go back to the bar-B.

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#19 Jul 13, 2008
Josh Burnes wrote:
Change in history has led to Adolph Hitler,Pol Pot,Mugabe and a host of other real tyrants. Might want to check out what kind of change Obama wants to give you,he's not really willing to tell.
He is not Black in TN

Grove Hill, AL

#20 Jul 13, 2008
If he had been born in Tennessee, his birth certificate would list his race as WHITE, because here, the baby takes the race of the mother. I don't know about the other 49 states, but that is Tennessee law as it applies to birth certificates.
I suggest that the media gets over playing the race card and gets on with the election.
My Opinion

Lancaster, OH

#21 Jul 13, 2008
Hey it looks like the biggest part of our nation has their heads stuck up the Kangaroos ass! I did not know that there were so many Kangaroos in the US. Hopeully none will be puting towells on their heads!
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
<quoted text>Have you had your head stuck up a kangaroos ass again?
Eljay

Australia

#22 Jul 13, 2008
"If he had been born in Tennessee, his birth certificate would list his race as WHITE, because here, the baby takes the race of the mother."

What a horrific concept! A country (or any part of one) that actually has 'race' on a birth certificate. Is the USA still that backward & racist?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 82
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lincoln College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Winston Churchill DDay cigar discovered (Feb '10) Feb '10 ghd 1
William Miller obituary (Dec '09) Dec '09 Becky 1
Youth Theater Arts Workshop offered (Nov '09) Nov '09 carol meyer 1
Family, Friends Gather for Metro Girla s Funeral (Sep '09) Sep '09 Parre Pinyan 1
After starting over at Lincoln College, student... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Ms Anonymous 1
Looking back on those early Railsplitter festivals (Sep '08) Sep '08 Logger 1

Lincoln College People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE