La Sierra University slammed on evolution teaching

There are 11 comments on the Examiner.com story from Nov 22, 2009, titled La Sierra University slammed on evolution teaching. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

A leading critic of La Sierra University' s teaching on evolution accuses the Seventh Day Adventist university of "bordering on outright lies" in its campaign to convince people that its biology department abides by the Genesis story of creation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
David Koot

United States

#408 Apr 5, 2010
Flash1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
So if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and sounds like a duck it could very well be a chicken!!??
So you acknowledge natural selection and that species adapt to environmental changes and this, somehow, is not evolution?? In previous posts you have acknowledged "micro" evolution. The underlying mechanisms of "micro" evolution are the same as for "macro" evolution, in fact it's only creationists that bother trying to make that distinction.
Ahhh, a reasonable discussion! Very reasonable questions indeed.'Evolution' is, itself, a somewhat 'charged' word, engendering, because of connotation, the concept of a very simple organism evolving into a more complex organism over time--eons.

An accurate term would be 'adaptation.''Adaptation' is not only possible, it has been observed. The phenomenon is not inseparable from TOE, however. And that is the point I am addressing. Adaptation, natural selection, mutation, all take place. But none of that means that a simple organism will evolve into a more complex organism, over time.
"Intelligent design" answers NOTHING, it poses no questions. It is simply a fall back position for creationists when presented with hard questions.
Interesting thought, although I have a different perception. At any rate, alternative theories make for good discussion. Will get there erelong.

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#409 Apr 6, 2010
In the 70's, SDAs were told that satan put the fossils in the ground to "test" the faithful.

Later, faced with overwhelming evidence and a need to explain speciation after the "flood", along comes intellectually bankrupt "micro" evolution as the saviour of the faithful.

But espousing "micro" evolution as somehow completely different from evolution simply confirmed not only that the distinction was semantic, but that SDAs just didn't understand the science, as the underlying processes are the same.

NOW, wait for it, HYPER-EVOLUTION!!!!!

Not only do the faithful now embrace evolution they embrace a steroid-enhanced form of it to champion the literal interpretation of the bible!! WTF!!??

http://www-hyperevolution.com/

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#410 Apr 6, 2010
SATAN AND DINOSAUR BONES

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
http://www.pacifier.com/~dkossy/dino.html

Are there no depths the "faithful" won't delve to rationalise the "truth" of god's "word"!!??

At EVERY change of position the christian world takes on the evolution issue, with EVERY mangling of the lexicon and EVERY stitched together "scientific" absurdity rationalising the "truth" of god's "word"-

FIRSTLY, it is claimed that "this is god's truth" as it has ALWAYS been.

SECONDLY it's "truth" is there to see IF ONLY those damned and godforsaken evolutionary scientists could understand it.

and THIRDLY, they invoke "god's wisdom" and "sacred understanding" to leave NO DOUBT in the minds of the godless that on THIS TRUTH lies their hope of salvation and the certain hellfire and eternal damnation of the evolutionist!!

The hypocrisy is breath-taking!!
David Koot

San Francisco, CA

#411 Apr 6, 2010
Flash1969 wrote:
In the 70's, SDAs were told that satan put the fossils in the ground to "test" the faithful.
Later, faced with overwhelming evidence and a need to explain speciation after the "flood", along comes intellectually bankrupt "micro" evolution as the saviour of the faithful.
But espousing "micro" evolution as somehow completely different from evolution simply confirmed not only that the distinction was semantic, but that SDAs just didn't understand the science, as the underlying processes are the same.
NOW, wait for it, HYPER-EVOLUTION!!!!!
Not only do the faithful now embrace evolution they embrace a steroid-enhanced form of it to champion the literal interpretation of the bible!! WTF!!??
http://www-hyperevolution.com/
Nonsense, there was no such claim about fossils in the 70s, I had college biology classes from pretty decent profs, nothing like that was mentioned.

Hyper-evolution? LOLOLOL one guy's claim to fame. Many scientists of late have embraced Stuart Kauffman's ground-breaking ideas about the self-organization of matter, see link:

http://books.google.com/books...

Once again, such phenomena as adaption, natural selection, etc. are entirely consistent with design. They certainly are not inseparable from TOE, that is, a simple organism evolving into a complex organism.
David Koot

San Francisco, CA

#412 Apr 6, 2010
correction, adaptation

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#413 Apr 6, 2010
David Koot wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense, there was no such claim about fossils in the 70s, I had college biology classes from pretty decent profs, nothing like that was mentioned.
Hyper-evolution? LOLOLOL one guy's claim to fame. Many scientists of late have embraced Stuart Kauffman's ground-breaking ideas about the self-organization of matter, see link:
http://books.google.com/books...
Once again, such phenomena as adaption, natural selection, etc. are entirely consistent with design. They certainly are not inseparable from TOE, that is, a simple organism evolving into a complex organism.
I was informed of satanic bones in the the SDA church in the 70's. And if you'd care to put "satan" and "dinosaur bones" in a search engine you'll find it's still "gospel truth" today *lol*!!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#414 Apr 6, 2010
Flash1969 wrote:
NOW, wait for it, HYPER-EVOLUTION!!!!!
http://www-hyperevolution.com/
Hyper-evolution!

Don't you just love the idea of all the money (Christian) Perry Marshall must be making.... from all the gullible Christians out there, that are so desperate to find 'evidence' that science can prove that the Bible is right.
Christians ripping off Christians!

LOL!
David Koot

San Francisco, CA

#415 Apr 6, 2010
Perhaps the difference is that my college bio teachers included research scientists who were published. Pretty credible profs. If such a claim had been made as you have described, I for one would have ridiculed them on the spot. My background, training and experience emphasized empiricism, and still does.

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#416 Apr 6, 2010
http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bin/ikonboar...

"Not A Monkey" wrote: "Dinosaurs fossils were planted by Satan to throw us on the wrong track, and away from the Lord. "Dinosaurs" never roamed the earth, and they never breathed. They only exist in the fossil state. Do not let Satan lead you away from the unaissailable truth the the Bible, which is God's unfaillible word."

"NoMissingLink" asked: "Did he plant them before or after the incident in the garden of eden?"

"Not A Monkey" wrote: "The Bible is silent on this issue, but logic dictates they must have been planted at or near the time of the creation of the Earth. I do not think the Lord Almighty would plant the dinosaur fossils AFTER allowing Adam and Eve to settle, for his activities might have been conspicuous. However, since God is omnipotent, it is possible that the fossils were planted later on, sight unseen, and evidence of the planted fossils covered up. Upon serious consideration of your question, I would have to say that it can go either way."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#417 Apr 6, 2010
So, "Koot", they had logic and the bible, even as YOU claim to; look at where it got them!! And just look at the back-peddaling and question dodging you've had to engage in to hold your particular version of an uneasy marriage of "logic" and "literal bible truth", together!!
David Koot

San Francisco, CA

#418 Apr 6, 2010
Took a look. Fruitcake city. Intolerable, and I wouldnt last long in that environment. Would slice and dice them. But not an SDA org., fortunately.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Sierra University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News la Sierra University: Employees' case dismissed (Mar '14) Mar '14 Buck Jackson 2
News Adventist University Names New Center for Alleg... (Feb '13) Feb '13 DANNO 2
News Seventh-day Adventist pastor retires (Feb '10) Nov '12 GrammyJoanne 19
News La Sierra says resignation of biology professor... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Shubee 10
News Creation vs. evolution debate at La Sierra Univ... (Apr '11) May '11 greymouser 6
News On Vietnamese restaurant menu, KU researcher di... (Dec '10) Dec '10 nguoi viet uk 1
News New lizard species discovered...on a menu in Vi... (Nov '10) Nov '10 NVN777 2
More from around the web