Former Tennessee High School Coach Pl...

Former Tennessee High School Coach Pleads Guilty to Raping 14 Year-Old Girl

There are 9 comments on the MyEyeWitnessNews.com story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Former Tennessee High School Coach Pleads Guilty to Raping 14 Year-Old Girl. In it, MyEyeWitnessNews.com reports that:

Timothy Byers, a former Dyersburg High School volunteer track coach. Eds: APNewsNow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MyEyeWitnessNews.com.

Hello

Kodak, TN

#1 Jul 16, 2008
Was this a girl's track team? I don't think a guy should ever coach an all girls team. It just give the opportunity for too much to happen.
Sad to think it so

United States

#2 Jul 21, 2008
Hello wrote:
Was this a girl's track team? I don't think a guy should ever coach an all girls team. It just give the opportunity for too much to happen.
Unfortunately, it is a sad commentary when a male cannot be allowed to coach female team. Some bad apples ruin it for the majority. However, the moral state of the nation is sorely lacking. Actually it seems it is the ministers and religious leaders that seem to have so much public sexual misconduct. It seems we need a good shot and conscience and a more ingrained sense of right and wrong.Most importantly--SELF CONTROL AND DISCIPLINE...But will we ever.
Gone Fishing

United States

#3 Jul 21, 2008
Hello wrote:
I strongly disagree. The majority of males are not rapists. Why should we hold all accountable for the criminal actions of a few? Andrea yates and Susan Smith drowned their children - should women no longer be allowed to raise children?
ADTN1981

Savannah, TN

#4 Aug 29, 2008
I knew him very well. He was a coach at my high school. I met him when I was 16 in 1998 and we spent a lot of time alone together,very innocent and never inappropriate. He was nothing but a great friend to me. He was a bit too involved with his students but it never got "out of hand". He was well loved by all. None of my female classmates have a bad word to say about him. We don't know why he did what he did or if he did. We all have a hard time wrapping our heads around this.
He was a good man. He was a great husband and father. He was a well loved teacher... actually I think he was the most loved teacher in our school. He was the kinda guy everyone just enjoyed hanging out with. He was full of joy and laughter. Never once was he out of line. Never. My parents were pleased with the fact he took an interest in me. I was shy and awkward. I was picked on a lot. He always stood up for me. He even let me use his class room during lunch to surf the internet alone and take a break away from the crowd. He treated me no differently then he did his male students.
WWBD

Hendersonville, NC

#5 Aug 30, 2008
If his crime had of been commited in Dyer County maybe Bivens would have let him off like Tracy Hinson.
Opinionated

United States

#6 Sep 4, 2008
Agree with ADTN. No indications of anything but good intentions from previous dealings in Dburg with the former coach. Maybe he should have learned not to hang around the wrong people. It is terrible, but he should not have ever put himself in a position to cause doubts. Something must be Okay though - his wife & kids are still supporting him. Surely she would not be dumb enough to stick around if he were really guilty of rape.
Hmm

Ada, OK

#7 Sep 4, 2008
Just because he was never inappropriate with SOME students doesn't mean he wasn't with ALL.

"A little too involved with his students" is a huge red flag. You don't have to rape every student to be a rapist. Getting "A little too involved" is how rapists pick out the easiest targets.

And his wife and kids standing by him has nothing to do with actual guilt. Only what they believe. And they, too, are human and he is their father/husband. Of course it's going to be hard to walk away from him if they have any doubt.

I feel sorry for his family AND his victim.

If he felt he needed to plead guilty, there was enough for him to worry about coming to a head at trial. It takes more than he said-she said to get a rape conviction. There's more to this than we'll ever know, and it's not good.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#8 Sep 4, 2008
I notice that the link to the story is dead--here's another account that is still active...

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1444593.htm...
yep yep

United States

#9 May 19, 2014
Did he get time?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Knoxville College president explains school's l... (Jun '14) Feb '17 Mystery 11
News Hope for Our City: Transition, loss and growth ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 What 1
News Historically Black Colleges and Universities (Jul '13) Jul '13 true minority 3
News Lane, 4 other colleges join state to battle obe... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Guest 1
News Judson, Booker give Knoxville College perspecti... (Mar '12) Mar '12 siriusly 1
News Fire ravages oldest part of Morristown black co... (Oct '10) Oct '10 many 1
News Summer jobs provide monetary, educational payou... (Jun '09) Jun '09 shadowavx 1
More from around the web