Vigo County seeking to raise monthly ...

Vigo County seeking to raise monthly E911 fee

There are 7 comments on the Tribune-Star story from May 19, 2010, titled Vigo County seeking to raise monthly E911 fee. In it, Tribune-Star reports that:

Vigo County officials are seeking to increase the county's E911 fee to 75 cents per month, up from 50 cents, for landline telephones.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tribune-Star.

Norge technician

Terre Haute, IN

#1 May 19, 2010
Are they going to answer the phone now?
Hmm

United States

#2 May 19, 2010
Norge technician wrote:
Are they going to answer the phone now?
Part of the problem (only part) is the old equipment. It takes a while to electronically process the incoming calls. The caller just thinks no one is answering. The new equipment would speed the processing up dramatically making it ring almost instantaneously in the Dispatch Center.

The other part of the problem is not having enough staff. When you have 2 or 3 (at best) people working at any given time, it doesn't take much for them to be tied up. For example, one of them is dealing with THPD radio traffic, while is another is dealing with VCSD or fire traffic and the third is on the phone taking a 911 call. Bingo...they are maxed out. Now, consider that every fender bender that happens causes about a half dozen good samaritans to call 911 to report it...and, well, you get the picture. Chaos.
wow

United States

#4 May 19, 2010
I can understand dispatch being understaffed. Another fault of the sheriffs department. To many hires from I know Jeff fox or the sheriff. Dispatchers who work a terrible and they are still employed. Another fault of the Sheriff. Many complaints by Deputies, City and Fire and all kicked under the rug. There are several good dispatchers that spend their time fixing the couple that screws up mistakes. Jeff Fox is now in charge once again and couldn't handle it last time. Now lets raise prices when fixing the problems are simple without raising them. Did we not raise prices to get this equipment we have now that's less than five years old.
Hmm

United States

#5 May 20, 2010
wow wrote:
I can understand dispatch being understaffed. Another fault of the sheriffs department. To many hires from I know Jeff fox or the sheriff. Dispatchers who work a terrible and they are still employed. Another fault of the Sheriff. Many complaints by Deputies, City and Fire and all kicked under the rug. There are several good dispatchers that spend their time fixing the couple that screws up mistakes. Jeff Fox is now in charge once again and couldn't handle it last time. Now lets raise prices when fixing the problems are simple without raising them. Did we not raise prices to get this equipment we have now that's less than five years old.
Sort of true.

Unfortunately equipment such as this is often obsolete by the time you go through all the hoops to get the funds, order the equipment, and get it installed and operational. 5 years is a freakin eternity in this regard.

The dispatch center was understaffed from the very start and that can be blamed on both the city and county councils for not wanting to fund the staffing levels that were originally proposed.

And the problem was made worse when the State Police started the process of closing their dispatch center here at the TH post. one of the first move's was to transfer literally thousands of incoming cellular 911 calls to central dispatch.
country boy

Terre Haute, IN

#6 May 21, 2010
One of the biggest mistakes the County ever made was taking the dispatch center over. When they did it on there own, there were at least 2 dispatchers to answer county calls. NOW THERE ARE ONLY ONE. There is most the time 4 dispatchers in there but one for city fire, city police, county fire, and sheriff department.
Hmm

United States

#7 May 21, 2010
What they really need are separate 9-1-1 operators and dispatchers. The operators concentrate on answering the phones and the dispatchers concentrate of the radio traffic.
Bitter White Man

Terre Haute, IN

#8 May 21, 2010
Why dont they just raise it to like a million dollars a month? Get it over with-start the rebellion. Turd plant is raising rates because they didnt do anything but squander and steal money for the last 20 years since the fed told them they could no longer dump in the river. The sooner some of these businesses-and thats what they are, are privatized and regulated the better. I live in the county. Do I really NEED 911 just to tell me "we are pretty busy tonight, it might be awhile?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three arrested in alleged marijuana sales bust 56 min Hung 2
News Downtown Terre Haute parking meters to return? Nov 10 Boing 10
News Local police probe 5 shootings in 24 hours Oct 25 Overwatch 6
News Debs Award makes history with presentation to l... Oct '17 Kickenallout! 1
News Race for County Council seat getting crowded Oct '17 Duke defender 2
News Changes in downtown Terre Haute continue in 2017 Sep '17 t45h45re3erg 6
News Preserving the preserve Sep '17 uiof3nhkuwenkjfks 2
More from around the web