Think downtown Terre Haute is dead? Think again

Sep 28, 2009 Read more: Tribune-Star 9

Take a leisurely drive through downtown Terre Haute today, then compare it to the same journey say, five or 10 years ago.

Read more
hummmm

Tifton, GA

#1 Sep 28, 2009
cant walk down the sidewalk for all the shoppers!!!!!!!!!!
UnKnown Poster

Punxsutawney, PA

#2 Sep 28, 2009
sure smells like it is dead
justmyopinion

United States

#3 Sep 30, 2009
i remember woolworth, roots, schultz, and other stores there. now, we have large hotels with nothing going on. i wish the new stores and such were downtown instead of the mall area and at 46 and margaret
days gone by

Lizton, IN

#4 Sep 30, 2009
justmyopinion wrote:
i remember woolworth, roots, schultz, and other stores there. now, we have large hotels with nothing going on. i wish the new stores and such were downtown instead of the mall area and at 46 and margaret
The days of stores being downtown have passed. Now stores want to be in more convienent locations. It would be nice to see big stores back downtown, but I doubt it ever happens.
junglebunny

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Sep 30, 2009
ok if terre haute isnt dead,where can i get some nookie
Wacky Funster

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Sep 30, 2009
You want big stores downtown? Build a freaking Mall downtown. That's the only way it will work. If you look at any successfull revitalized downtown area in the country, you will find office complexes as the main anchor. There are a few small stores, occasionally a large store, restaraunts, hotels, etc, all there to support the business community in the downtown area. In some of these cities, you may find a sports stadium or two.

I think these expectations that downtown areas will ever be what they were in bygone days are unrealistic. To put your hopes and dreams in such a result is to set yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Again, you want to revitalize downtown.... Lets take an innovative approach as opposed to trying to recreate a model from the past that cannot reasonable be expected to succeed.
unknownname

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Sep 30, 2009
Our current mall is becoming less and less occupied. The whole wing where KB toys used to be is empty. Steve and Barry's, Hot Topic's, and a few other old locations are still empty. Even in the food court the old A and W stand is still empty.
UnKnown Poster

Punxsutawney, PA

#8 Sep 30, 2009
junglebunny wrote:
Go to Gilbert Park
Willie

Bloomington, IN

#9 Oct 1, 2009
junglebunny wrote:
14th & Chestnut

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Historical Marker Placed At Site Of Home Packin... Fri ..... 1
News New statue at Indianapolis International Airpor... Apr 3 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
News Drilling raises $350K for Ind. State University Jan '15 Oliver Klosov 8
News At Rest for 50 Years (Mar '10) Nov '14 don 3
News Police officer shot Saturday in Ferguson, Mo. (Sep '14) Sep '14 cops are liars an... 3
News Is outdoor education the way of the future? (Feb '14) Aug '14 MaltaMon 7
News Ind. State Groups Affirm Opposition to Gay Marr... (Dec '13) Dec '13 nhjeff 18
More from around the web