First Lady: Sotomayor "More Than Ready"

First Lady: Sotomayor "More Than Ready"

There are 27 comments on the CBS News story from Jun 3, 2009, titled First Lady: Sotomayor "More Than Ready". In it, CBS News reports that:

In her commencement speech at Washington Mathematics Science Technology Public Charter School, Michelle Obama praised Supreme Court Nominee Sonia Sotomayor and compared their experiences as women of color.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr Boombostic

Naples, FL

#1 Jun 3, 2009
what does this amazon know anyway?
Bill

Portland, OR

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Lordy!!! Now michelle is picking OUR Supreme Court Justices...things are worse than I thought!

“COP'S LIVES MATTER”

Since: Mar 09

THUG'S LIVES DONT MATTER

#3 Jun 3, 2009
She's more than ready to GIT WHITEY.
Meeshaw

Salinas, CA

#4 Jun 3, 2009
I dont know who is uglier, machelle the first lady monkey, or soetrmayer, the butt ugliest latina I have ever seen. Man, can you imagine the STINK that irradiates out of these two beetches when they don.t shower for a day? Wheww!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 3, 2009
There are white people living in housing projects, there are Asians living in housing projects, there are Indians living in housing projects......Sotomayor does not hold the patten on housing projects. I am still trying to figure out WHAT "life experiances as a Latino woman" she is speaking about. There are representitives from ALL races who have started out in housing projects and had the drive to become successful and achieve higher learning. Her story is not any different from thousands of other Americans....white, black, latino, asian, indian or otherwise. It's up to the individual to make something of the opportunities that are handed to them.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 3, 2009
Obama is pushing for a quicker timetable, hoping to spare Sotomayor the potential pitfalls of a drawn-out public debate on her confirmation during the customary August news lull.

OF COURSE he is! Drag other Judicial nominees through lengthy interviews and scrutany, but spare Sotomayor the potential pitfalls of a drawn-out public debate. What happened to 100% transparency? She should be subject to the same process that all the other Justices have to go through - without Presidential or Party interference.
America is in the Toilet

United States

#7 Jun 3, 2009
Have you seen the ads for the new "michelle doll?"
(UGH - LEE!!!) Now maybe we can have a "sotomayor doll" (UGH - LEE - ER STILL!!!)
I am sick of hearing this "women of color" schmaltz...what I see about these two women of color is that they were education (at OUR cost) at leading universities that they didn't really even have the entry requirements to get into...and they were GIVEN huge high-paying jobs, and now they are on easy street. Man. They have had it hard haven't they...as "women of color."
yeeeesh. How much more sickening can this crapp get?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”

Since: Dec 07

Former US of A

#9 Jun 3, 2009
RedsMom wrote:
What happened to 100% transparency? She should be subject to the same process that all the other Justices have to go through - without Presidential or Party interference.
Yes, 100% transparency when it does not reflect badly on Obama and collective. Somehow, there is this assumption that a thorough nomination process for Sotomayor would make those asking the questions appear unfair because.....well, we know why!
Bill

Portland, OR

#11 Jun 3, 2009
RedsMom wrote:
Obama is pushing for a quicker timetable, hoping to spare Sotomayor the potential pitfalls of a drawn-out public debate on her confirmation during the customary August news lull.
OF COURSE he is! Drag other Judicial nominees through lengthy interviews and scrutany, but spare Sotomayor the potential pitfalls of a drawn-out public debate. What happened to 100% transparency? She should be subject to the same process that all the other Justices have to go through - without Presidential or Party interference.
Simple fact: "liberals" are racists.
Diamond Lil

United States

#12 Jun 3, 2009
Militant Michelle (the NEW Nation of Islam- LOL- are her best friends )is going to pick the SC?
Her and the Resident Evil are the worst thing to happen to this country.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”

Since: Dec 07

Former US of A

#13 Jun 3, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple fact: "liberals" are racists.
Yes, the average neo-leftist certainly is. Nothing like the liberals of the past. Joe Liberman is a traditional liberal and look what they have done to him!
Responsibility

South San Francisco, CA

#14 Jun 3, 2009
America is in the Toilet wrote:
these two women of color is that they were education (at OUR cost) at leading universities
Please send the link where it states that it was at OUR cost that these two smart intelligent well educated women received excellent education at their leading universities.

It must be difficult for some of you to believe that some of these "non-whites" (and others) are so much better educated and so much better qualified than you and I.

Wonderful isn't it?!
Responsibility

South San Francisco, CA

#15 Jun 3, 2009
RedsMom wrote:
He wants the decision made before the SC goes back to work.

Sounds rational to me
Sounds intelligent to me
Sounds professional to me

The republicants have plenty of time to dig in the dirt - they need to just get on with scurrying around like rats and checking on her credentials.

They need to
look rational,
look intelligent
and
look professional.

The Party of No needs to change its name to the Party of Let's Get on With It.
Responsibility

South San Francisco, CA

#16 Jun 3, 2009
The most telling quote from the article is this one because I believe that anyone with half a brain knows that "everyone understood what she meant and knew her respect for the rule of law was unquestionable".

Guess the "everyone" was smarter back then.

"No one made an issue out of Judge Sotomayor's comments the last time the Senate confirmed her for the federal bench, because everyone understood what she meant and knew her respect for the rule of law was unquestionable," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Sotomayor's home-state senator and her sponsor during the confirmation process.

Location hidden

#17 Jun 4, 2009
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
He wants the decision made before the SC goes back to work.
Sounds rational to me
Sounds intelligent to me
Sounds professional to me
The republicants have plenty of time to dig in the dirt - they need to just get on with scurrying around like rats and checking on her credentials.
They need to
look rational,
look intelligent
and
look professional.
The Party of No needs to change its name to the Party of Let's Get on With It.
Spoken like a true liberal. IF the shoe was on the other foot, you'd be saying "to hell" with a SC deadline. Both teams have toplay by the rules, not just when the rules suit their needs.
Copy

San Antonio, TX

#18 Jun 4, 2009
What ever happened to the comforting picture of Lady Justice wearing a blindfold and carrying a pair of equal scales? It is clear that Judge Sotomayor would rip off the blindfold in favor of "the richness of her experiences" as a "wise Latina woman." And the scales of Justice? Apparently, in Sotomayor's view, these scales would be heavily weighted in the favor of minorities in "overhauling the law" according to "ever-changing social, industrial and political conditions." She has said, "...enough people of color in enough cases will make a difference in the process of judging." But didn't then-Senator Obama declare: "There isn't a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America--there is the United States of America." Sotomayor would probably beg to differ.

Since: Jan 08

Detroit, MI

#19 Jun 4, 2009
Hello First Lady, the Klingon homeworld has been trying to reach you.
America is in the Toilet

Dallas, TX

#20 Jun 4, 2009
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Please send the link where it states that it was at OUR cost that these two smart intelligent well educated women received excellent education at their leading universities.
It must be difficult for some of you to believe that some of these "non-whites" (and others) are so much better educated and so much better qualified than you and I.
Wonderful isn't it?!
Who do you think pays for tuition, books, and fees when a "minority student" goes to school on a "GRANT." Here is your answer: The federal government does. Where does the federal government get the money? Answer: From my paycheck. OK now...read real slow so you can understand this: That is what I say with accuracy that these two "women of color" were educated at OUR cost. White people have to pay for their educations...blacks (and apparently Mexicans or PRs or whatever in the hell she is) go free. And by free I only mean that someone else pays...who is that someone else? Me. And as far as their academic success...guess what...professors at Ivy League schools who give failing grades to blacks (all minorities for that matter)-- even if they deserve them -- are absolutely OSTRACIZED. All these two wonderful women did to deserve all they have was to be born "women of color." sheesh...
sickening.
mike

South Windsor, CT

#21 Jun 4, 2009
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful isn't it?!
Yep I for one would like to see the SAT scores or was that test racist too...
America is in the Toilet

United States

#22 Jun 4, 2009
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep I for one would like to see the SAT scores or was that test racist too...
No blacks passed so Sotomayor threw it out....
(but in all seriousness, blacks get "points" on their SAT and other admissions tests...check it out.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black churches bucking the trend of decline Aug 15 Oh No You Di-nt 3
News The lesson your child can learn from Rachel Dol... Jul '15 Ray Buttler 6
News Fifty years after LBJ challenged the nation, th... Jun '15 Mr Amigo 26
News Alma Thomas' Earthly drawings and paintings on ... May '15 Will Dockery 1
News The Disproportionate Burden of Student-Loan Deb... May '15 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News From Hurricane Katrina to Howard University, a ... May '15 Le Jimbo 7
News Our History Makers: Toni Morrison (Feb '12) Apr '15 KnutesNiche 2
More from around the web