Paleontologists brought to tears, lau...

Paleontologists brought to tears, laughter by Creation Museum

There are 64 comments on the www.physorg.com story from Jun 30, 2009, titled Paleontologists brought to tears, laughter by Creation Museum. In it, www.physorg.com reports that:

For a group of paleontologists, a tour of the Creation Museum seemed like a great tongue-in-cheek way to cap off a serious conference.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.physorg.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Since: Apr 09

Springfield, MA

#1 Jun 30, 2009
Well, the creation museum is attracting more attention than I thought it would. The type of attention is pretty much the expected variety.

“C'mon bro, I got TIGER BLOOD”

IN UPENDI!

#2 Jun 30, 2009
Those poor, poor scientists. To have to listen and look at this monument to bigotry, bashing what they've worked their entire lives for.
'Tis a sad, sad time when stuff like this happens.

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Springfield, MA

#3 Jun 30, 2009
Stygimoloch wrote:
Those poor, poor scientists. To have to listen and look at this monument to bigotry, bashing what they've worked their entire lives for.
About the only way it is a benefit is for the scientific community, especially the religious scientific community, to see the damage being done to intellects in places like that. Maybe it will light a fire under them.

IN UPENDI!

#4 Jun 30, 2009
But it won't stop them though. It never has.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#5 Jun 30, 2009
Here is the New York Times talking about the same visit...

Paleontology and Creationism Meet but Don’t Mesh

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/science/30m...

(brought to my attention by Pharyngula)

IN UPENDI!

#6 Jul 1, 2009
Creationism doesn't really mesh with any science, let alone common sense.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#7 Jul 1, 2009
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Here is the New York Times talking about the same visit...
Paleontology and Creationism Meet but Don’t Mesh
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/science/30m...
(brought to my attention by Pharyngula)
'within two days drive of two thirds of the population' and within a one day drive of all the hillbillies.

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Springfield, MA

#8 Jul 1, 2009
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
'within two days drive of two thirds of the population' and within a one day drive of all the hillbillies.
Anyone who knows anything especially kids who watch TV will see right through the museum. It will just make them lose their faith faster. I just love how the museum has the kids riding carnivores because nothing was killed before the flood. Meanwhile, in the real world

http://www.geocities.com/tabuchiaki/FIGHTING....

“I don't exist:youve gone crazy”

Since: Aug 08

Australia

#9 Jul 3, 2009
Stygimoloch wrote:
Are you kidding? I'd LOVE to go to a creationist museum. And, ask for a guide, and then just own him/her with proof of evolution. I'm telling you, the easiest debate to win is one with a creationist.

IN UPENDI!

#10 Jul 3, 2009
I'd love it if that were true. Creationists are too stuck in their tar pit of bigotry to ever concede. They'll just say it is all a conspiracy when presented scientific facts that dispute them.

Since: Jul 08

Melbourne, Australia

#11 Jul 3, 2009
Sakib wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? I'd LOVE to go to a creationist museum. And, ask for a guide, and then just own him/her with proof of evolution. I'm telling you, the easiest debate to win is one with a creationist.
Oh, it's so true.

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jul 3, 2009
Stygimoloch wrote:
I'd love it if that were true. Creationists are too stuck in their tar pit of bigotry to ever concede. They'll just say it is all a conspiracy when presented scientific facts that dispute them.
At least Ken Ham can write sentences and spell words correctly. Did you read the critics of religion below the article in the posts? Could they take some time and proof their spelling and grammar? They come across as yahoos against windmills. Embarrassing..
Levitican

Thomastown, Australia

#13 Jul 4, 2009
Sakib wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid evolutionist. People like you are the cause of the world's problems

Melbourne, Australia

#14 Jul 4, 2009
Levitican wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one modern-day problem caused by atheists. HIV? Climate Change? The collapse of the stock market?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Nunya

#15 Jul 4, 2009
Levitican wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't see genocide in the name of Evolution happening anywhere. Now genocide in the name of religion... that's a different story.

“I don't exist:youve gone crazy”

Australia

#16 Jul 4, 2009
Levitican wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly.

IN UPENDI!

#17 Jul 4, 2009
jerb1 wrote:
<quoted text>
At least Ken Ham can write sentences and spell words correctly. Did you read the critics of religion below the article in the posts? Could they take some time and proof their spelling and grammar? They come across as yahoos against windmills. Embarrassing..
So you're using internet comments from atheists against a public (brainwasher) speaker/(propaganda) book writer? I've seen plenty of grammatically horrid comments from Creationists.

Besides, Ken Ham is perhaps one of the most disgusting bigots to ever grace this Earth. All his arguements have been disputed, and yet he continues to perpetuate them.

“Religion is Superstition”

Location hidden

#18 Jul 5, 2009
All of Ham's arguements have been more than disputed. They've all been completely demolished and obliterated.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#19 Jul 6, 2009
Ken Ham's Folly meets Paleontologists ( http://sciencestandards.blogspot.com/2009/07/... )

There is a link on that post to Kennie's own log about the NY Times story ...it's ...'special'.

Bottom line, according to little kennie, the science we all discuss and support is called 'observational science', you know the science that works!

The 'science' that little kennie is espousing is called 'origin science', you know, the 'science' that doesn't work. I guess he couldn't use the term 'Creation Science' and he had to come up with a new moniker.

Part of the problem, Levitican, is kennie might spell the words right, but he certainly doesn't understand them, or he wouldn't use the word 'science' when discussing his narrow-minded belief system.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#20 Jul 6, 2009
Here is a link to an interesting paper written by Kurt Wise, PhD, who was one of the consultants to the Creation Museum (Kurt Wise is a trained paleontologist who was trained with Stephen Jay Gould at Harvard).

http://www.bryancore.org/anniversary/04.pdf

Understanding of 'Transitional Forms', Dr. Kurt Wise

Abstract

"There is fossil evidence interpreted as transitional forms which can be understood to strongly support macroevolutionary theory. Creationist palaeontology [sic] is an immature field, the resources of creationists are severely limited, and the 'transitional form' issue has a low priority in the creation model. It is thus premature ti engage in a rigorous evaluation of transitional forms claims. It is suggested that creationists not divert resources or concern in the direction of 'transitional form' arguments."

Wise goes on to say in the body of his article:

"Evidences for Darwin’s second expectation - of stratomorphic intermediate species - include such species as Baragwanathia (between rhyniophytes and lycopods), Pikaia (between echinoderms and chordates), Purgatorius (between the tree shrews and the primates), and Proconsul (between the non-hominoid primates and the hominoids). Darwin’s third expectation - of higher-taxon stratomorphic intermediates - has been confirmed by such examples as the mammal-like reptile groups between the reptiles and the mammals, and the phenacdontids between the horses and their presumed ancestors. Darwin’s fourth expectation - of stratomorphic series - has been confirmed by such examples as the early bird series, the tetrapod series, the whale series, the various mammal series of the Cenozoic (for example, the horse series, the camel series, the elephant series, the pig series, the titanothere series, etc.), the Cantius and Plesiadapus primate series, and the hominid series. Evidence for not just one but for all three of the species level and above types of stratomorphic intermediates expected by macroevolutionary theory is surely strong evidence for macroevolutionary theory. Creationists therefore need to accept this fact. It certainly CANNOT said that traditional creation theory expected (predicted) any of these fossil finds."

Kurt Wise, Towards a Creationist Understanding of 'Transitional Forms CEN (creation ex nihilo) Technical Journal 9 (1995) p. 218-219

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama to Howard University Grads: 'BeyoncA© Ru... May '16 Spotted Girl 1
News African film expert to discuss the work of the ... Apr '16 Sheri Lynn 1
News Pan-Africanism in the 21st Century: Challenges ... Apr '16 Goonsquad 3
News Students invited to expo on historically black ... Mar '16 Tami 3
News Is White and moving to the Right defining elect... Mar '16 Schlulenburger 1
News Some thoughts on charter schools (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Justice Or Else Film Screenings to Present the ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Mr M 1
More from around the web