Do We Really Need Black History Month Anymore?

Weekend Edition Sunday , February 22, 2009 Poet E. Ethelbert Miller reflects on Black History Month and gives listeners a pop quiz. Full Story
Yes we do

Norristown, PA

#1 Feb 22, 2009
We've had white-washed history lessons for years, and we still don't adequately address other nationalities.
NOT AT ALL

Myrtle Beach, SC

#2 Feb 28, 2009
The very fact that we now have a black president voids the necessity for a black history month. If a country like ours can finally elect a black president, then we, as a country, can hardly be accused of oppressing the black race.
Black history month was meant to help the advancement of black Americans and it has done its job. Itís really time to put it to rest now. Everyone, except black Americans, is sick of it.
Actually, itís pointless to debate this. The fact is that it will never happen. They (blacks, NAACP etc.) will not let it die now that it is out there. They are way to determined to segregate themselves from the rest of the country by blatantly advertizing that they are a distinctly separate race. Maybe if blacks would stop intently focusing on race, everyone else would also.
Itís the blacks in this country that keep racism alive and well these days. Not whites. They do this in a big part by having a black history month. The fact is that we (white Americans) are ready to put it behind us anytime they are ready. Whites these days are sick and tired of feeling bad or guilty for what happened to blacks before most of us were even born and hence were never our faults to begin with. Itís a shame that they want to keep racism going on like this. Great job guysÖReal greatÖ
JTL
Squincher

Corona, CA

#3 Feb 2, 2013
Lookit. I'm an third generation American born from Mexican ancestors.

That said, I roll my eyes and cringe when I see "Latino Pride, Mexican-American History etc, etc." That is only for 1st generation people, who still vividly remember their homelands. I'm sure their kids also roll their eyes, cringe and go off to skate board, listen to rap, hang out at the mall or whatever kids do these days.

We are all Americans, first and foremost. Unless you're an immigrant who hopes to return to his/her country soon, America is our home. The Black community needs to let go of the past and finally join the rest of America.

Besides, we have a Black President......why are we still appeasing old Civil Rights era dinosaurs like Maya Angelou, Julian Bond and pariahs like Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson???

It's the 21st Century. Let's move on please.

And while we are at it, get rid of that annoying phrase "The Melting Pot" in describing assimilation once and for all!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the sekou think tank: a refelction of the diaspora Sep 11 ariblack78 1
More bad news for Malaysia Airlines Aug 29 _malon_goblok 2
Milloy: Sign of surrender won't deliver justice... Aug '14 Cat74 6
Howard alum Pep Hamilton football story Aug '14 Tom Shanahan 1
The Youth Unemployment Crisis Hits African-Amer... Jul '14 UTB 15
Why I'm tired of hearing about 'that' movement Jun '14 REDNECK SNAPPER 7
Paulette Brown to Become the First Black Woman ... May '14 ShiningElectron 2
•••

Howard University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE