Deeply Held Gay Beliefs

Deeply Held Gay Beliefs

There are 23 comments on the www.americanchronicle.com story from Jul 13, 2008, titled Deeply Held Gay Beliefs. In it, www.americanchronicle.com reports that:

If you Google the phrase "deeply held religious beliefs" (DHRB) you get an astounding 25,500 hits. Apparently, this combination of words is popular. If you Google the opposite of this phrase, something like "shallow religious beliefs", you get a paltry six (6) hits. Now Google the title of this article, "Deeply Held Gay Beliefs". You´ll come up with a big fat zero…or at least you would have until this article got uploaded onto the www. You also get zero hits if you sub the word homosexual for the word gay in the phrase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.americanchronicle.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CHAS

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2008
And the point is??
How is "deeply held gay beliefs" the opposite of "deeply held religious beliefs"?
This is the stupidest c*** I have seen in quite a while.

“IBM had it right: "Think"”

Since: Mar 07

SF Bay Area Suburbs

#3 Jul 13, 2008
The issue is that a public servant needs to provide their services to the public in accordance with the law. if they can't comply with the law, then they should find other employment. This woman would not have refused to marry two Hindus, or two Atheists, or a divorce-and-remarry couple.

How can the law allow her to decide who is entitled to use her office's services?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4 Jul 13, 2008
CHAS wrote:
And the point is??
How is "deeply held gay beliefs" the opposite of "deeply held religious beliefs"?
This is the stupidest c*** I have seen in quite a while.
You really should have taken the time to read the article linked to the thread and it in all likelihood would have made sense to you. This is an essay regarding how "deeply held religious beliefs" are all too often used to stifle debate, justify intolerance and bigotry as well as provide cover for all manner of atrocities against others. But when you really think about what belief really is, it is merely personal opinion gussied up in religious trappings to give them gravitas. All too often we're forced to give deference to someone's "deeply held religious beliefs" that we wouldn't even think of giving to someone's "deeply held opinion"...

Look at the post appearring between your's and mine. You have to admit that it seems to be a deeply held belief but the deeply held belief of an idiot. If that post had been dressed up as his deeply held religiously belief rather than mertely an opinion, would you give it greater deference and import because he believes it rather than thinks it???
Mark in Ohio

Delaware, OH

#5 Jul 13, 2008
As is typical with a brainless re-post of incorrect information, the "author" has provided grand, sweeping statements with zero fact. There are no citations, sources, or verifiable data contained below, just more repitition of silliness, inuendo, and simple b.s. with little basis in fact. If you want to make statements of "fact," you need to be able to back it up with reliable data.

So, prove it. Otherwise, go back to the rock from under you crawled.
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
Erick

New Orleans, LA

#6 Jul 13, 2008
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
Hmmm do you search the web hoping to find an opportunity to rant about your point of view? Perhaps you should just get a bullhorn, find a street corner and annoy large groups during luch hour.
Erick

New Orleans, LA

#7 Jul 13, 2008
Hmmm do you search the web hoping to find an opportunity to rant about your point of view? Perhaps you should just get a bullhorn, find a street corner and annoy large groups during luch hour.
Dove

Seattle, WA

#8 Jul 13, 2008
Mark in Ohio wrote:
As is typical with a brainless re-post of incorrect information, the "author" has provided grand, sweeping statements with zero fact. There are no citations, sources, or verifiable data contained below, just more repitition of silliness, inuendo, and simple b.s. with little basis in fact. If you want to make statements of "fact," you need to be able to back it up with reliable data.
They are not "facts". They are "beliefs". That's the great thing about beliefs. You don't have to prove them. You don't have to think about them or support them with any verifiable evidence. It doesn't matter how silly or offensive they may sound. It doesn't matter if they run completely contrary to all evidence. They're beliefs and so they are, apparently, automatically deserving of more respect than actual facts.

GRR

Since: Jun 08

Riverside, CA

#9 Jul 13, 2008
Actually, same-sex unions have been around since before christianity and ended (publicly at least) around the 12th Century. Unions between men and women (a sex looked down upon intellectually) was only for legal purposes. But same sex unions between men?! There were four different kinds. Read Same Sex Unions by John Boswell. It is the authoritative text in the field and should shut your ill-equipped mouth for a few minutes. Two male lovers were even made saints and the city of Kosovo was founded in their honor.
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
Dave M

Lyburn, WV

#10 Jul 13, 2008
Mark in Ohio wrote:
As is typical with a brainless re-post of incorrect information, the "author" has provided grand, sweeping statements with zero fact. There are no citations, sources, or verifiable data contained below, just more repitition of silliness, inuendo, and simple b.s. with little basis in fact. If you want to make statements of "fact," you need to be able to back it up with reliable data.
So, prove it. Otherwise, go back to the rock from under you crawled.
<quoted text>
Thanks Rick. I believe my points got through to you and some of the others -but there is one on here that needs to up his medications or take a vacation. He's way off the deep end but sadly is typical of some groups.
Dave
Dave M

Lyburn, WV

#11 Jul 13, 2008
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
You really should have taken the time to read the article linked to the thread and it in all likelihood would have made sense to you. This is an essay regarding how "deeply held religious beliefs" are all too often used to stifle debate, justify intolerance and bigotry as well as provide cover for all manner of atrocities against others. But when you really think about what belief really is, it is merely personal opinion gussied up in religious trappings to give them gravitas. All too often we're forced to give deference to someone's "deeply held religious beliefs" that we wouldn't even think of giving to someone's "deeply held opinion"...
Look at the post appearring between your's and mine. You have to admit that it seems to be a deeply held belief but the deeply held belief of an idiot. If that post had been dressed up as his deeply held religiously belief rather than mertely an opinion, would you give it greater deference and import because he believes it rather than thinks it???
opps...sorry about that Rick....hit the wrong quote button on the previous post.
DaveM

Since: Jan 08

AOL

#12 Jul 14, 2008
Good essay on the so-called religious opposition to gay rights and other issues. I think we need to reinforce the position that individual rights trump religious "beliefs." Of course we have separation of church and state, but that doesn't stop the ignorant, does it?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#13 Jul 14, 2008
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
Wil, go tell your drivil to the thousands of happily newly married couples in California.

I suspect they wont listen, though, since they are too busy leading their own lives to woprry about your illness.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#14 Jul 14, 2008
It's my 'deeply held belief' that anyone that responds to any of Wil's garbage is encouraging it to continue.

;-O
West Coaster

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jul 14, 2008
CHAS wrote:
And the point is??
How is "deeply held gay beliefs" the opposite of "deeply held religious beliefs"?
This is the stupidest c*** I have seen in quite a while.
Please read the article! It said that the opposite of deeply held religious beliefs was "shallow religious beliefs."
West Coaster

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jul 14, 2008
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
CUT AND PASTE, CUT AND PASTE, CUT AND PASTE. That's all they do in kindergarten isn't it Wilma?

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Wilmington, DE

#17 Jul 14, 2008
Merritt wrote:
Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits
Well, if it barely happens then how will marriage equality suddenly destroy your str8 fundie marriages, as your lying argument goes?

I guess the thought in your addled mind of two men or two women in a marriage - even if there's as few of them as you say - will suddenly make you hate your own spouses.

Closet cases anyone?

By the way, this is the most deranged thread premise yet. Even taking it on its own illogical terms, 25k hits on google is nothing. The number of hits is not a criterion of merit in any way, unless you think porn sites have the most merit of anything in the known universe, Cletus.
willi

United States

#18 Jul 14, 2008
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.
but wil, its very obvious that DONT have a brain..
Get Real

San Mateo, CA

#19 Jul 14, 2008
Yeah because having a mom and dad at home has done so much for you!
You have no idea what your talking about something I'm sure you've learned from your parents. you get the brain obviously the only thing you learned is your bigotry.
Merritt wrote:
Does anyone with a brain really believe in such contrived nonsense as homosexual "marriage?" Certainly no significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that permits the contrived oxymoron!
Homosexual "marriage" is based on Hitler's BIG LIE propagandistic technique:
Homosexual "marriage" is a complete FRAUD.
Two unequals will NEVER be equal.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage, and the two are VERY different.
No homosexual relationships is the "equal" of a real marriage.
Marriage is indeed very different from any homosexual relationship:
Here are some MAJOR differences between real marriage and any sort of homosexual relationship, especially regarding any governmental involvement:
Like it or not, marriage and family are the basic building block of American Society.
No significant percent of homosexuals has "married" in ANY country that allows the contrived oxymoron and only about 1.6% of the US population claims to be GLBT anyway, so homosexual "marriage" fails on this one!
Children are the usual and natural result of real marriage. No child will EVER be born as a direct result of a homosexual relationship, so homomarriage fails on this one, too!
Having both a mother and father in the home is one of the best statistical predictors of a child's future success in life. No homosexual relationship can provide this.
Marriage is recognized as moral and necessary by nearly all Americans. Americans overwhelmingly reject homosexual "marriage" and most find homosexual acts to be immoral and damaging.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#20 Jul 14, 2008
Homosexuals, are the ultimate cross-section of the human race.

Homosexuals are represented by every racial group, every religion, every political view, every economic strata, every level of social strata, every degree of education and literacy, every ethnic group, every age group, in every nation, through out all human history.

So with all the diversity that humanity emcompasses, why would there be any unified or codified "Deeply Held Gay" beliefs?!

In point of fact, we're simply human, and embody the same beliefs as humanity, where ever we are in that spectrum!

WE ARE HUMANITY embodied.

Eric
Dave M

Lyburn, WV

#21 Jul 14, 2008
gemelk wrote:
Homosexuals, are the ultimate cross-section of the human race.
Homosexuals are represented by every racial group, every religion, every political view, every economic strata, every level of social strata, every degree of education and literacy, every ethnic group, every age group, in every nation, through out all human history.
So with all the diversity that humanity emcompasses, why would there be any unified or codified "Deeply Held Gay" beliefs?!
Eric
Some good points you make Eric. Especially about the diversity of gay people....Still, considering the "group" efforts at obtaining civil rights - gay marriage, etc....I do think there is a body of belief that could be labeled "gay beliefs". It's inherent in that elusive thing called gay culture....It's just never written of nor spoken of in that way as the phrase "deeply held" is strongly held by religion. What do you think?

Dave M.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heritage University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sacred Space at BYU (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jared T 1
News Three arrested for trespassing at old psychiatr... (Jul '08) Nov '08 Onnioni 9
More from around the web