Blanche Lincoln held on in Arkansas, but hears 'tea party' footsteps

Full story: Christian Science Monitor

Arkansas voters have already shown they ability to confound conventional wisdom.
Comments
1 - 20 of 95 Comments Last updated Jul 28, 2010
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
James Teague

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

It is refreshing to see someone in the media has actually done a little research. Thanks for posting this article Mr. Hall. Ms. Parker is very on the money with her article. The Tea Party type people will decide this election. I feel Blanche will get no support there which leaves the Republican and the Independent. A certain Tea Party group in Northwest Arkansas was already hijacked by Republican Operatives but they haven't really gotten much voter turnout rallied behind them. It will come down to which of the 2 can get the voters to actually go vote. I see a sense of excitement by people growing daily for Trevor Drown and if it can continue he will be a major player for this Senate seat. Good Luck to him.
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Trevor Drown stands head and shoulders above the other candidates. Someone who will totally represent the people, not all the special interests groups. Check him out!
Lynn

Bismarck, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

The 8 reg. Republican voters in our household won't have anything to do with D.C. RINO puppet Boozman! And Sen. Lincoln is going bye-bye - we know people who voted for her in the primary runoff just so she could win instead of Halter as they saw her as being easier to beat than Halter in November...and now they are planning on voting for either Boozman or Trevor Drown. Our 8 Republican votes are going to TREVOR DROWN, Independent! A true conservative, a constitutionalist, and a veteran - one of only two veterans in the nation running for a Senate seat (the other is McCain)! Those of you who are veterans in Arkansas, you need Trevor Drown in D.C. for you! Check him out, people! The Arkansas media is doing their best to ignore him but we The People will NOT be ignored! Thanks to the author of this article for at least admitting there is another legit candidate running for U.S. Senate in Arkansas besides just Boozman and Lincoln. Thousands of Arkansans signed petitions to put TREVOR DROWN on the ballot! We mean business!
taxpayer2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

I guess if people like the gulf oil disaster,the economy disaster. the Wall St robbery,the banks that Robbed us And the soon to come fact that most of the fresh water in the US will be ruined by fraccing gas wells>Vote for the Grand Oil Party.In 2004 Dick Chenny exempted gas companies from the clean water act. So now folks across the country can turn on their kitchen faucet and light it with a match. The water is too polluted to drink and actually burns as natural gas out of the Faucet. Yeah man lets put these Republican dummies back in. So they can Deregulate Health Care like they did the other stuff that I listed. Maybe it will be as big a hit as the rest of the crap they did.

Since: Aug 08

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

taxpayer2:

Here are the facts:

The gulf oil disaster occurred under Obama's watch with Democrats holding huge majorities in both houses of Congress. It's utter foolishness to blame that on Republicans.

The economy was doing quite well until after the 2006 elections when Democrats gained control over both houses of Congress. Unemployment was about 4 or 5% and the DOW was at an all time hight. Due to the Democrats' negligence and failure to heed the warnings about Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, our current economic calamities occurred. If you want to place blame, put it on Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, two men who profited handsomely from their disastrous economic policies. Both are Democrats, so again, blaming Republicans is ridiculous.

The Wall Street "robbery" was done chiefly by the Obama administration choosing which financial firms to bail out with taxpayer money. And after wasting almost a trillion dollars, is the economy really any better off? Most don't think so.

As far as Dick Cheney goes, he has absolutely no power to override Congressional legislation and grant exemptions from law to anyone. I think you tossed in that b.s. just to make it appear that you have a valid argument when you really don't.

Folks across the country can turn on their kitchen faucet and light it with a match? That's utter foolishness. How do you expect anyone to assign any credibility to your comments when you post such ridiculous claims?

Many of us across the country recognize the disastrous effects the Marxist policies of the far left have had, are having, and will have on the economy and the principles of freedom and liberty upon which this great nation was founded.

What is sorely needed in Washington are fiscal conservatives, most of whom carry the GOP banner.

Look for a massive influx of Republicans after November's elections.
James Teague

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

For the most part correct America1st. In Arkansas the fiscal conservative is carrying the Independent banner.....Our Republican running for the Senate voted for T.A.R.P., 5 different free trade agreements, against a bill that would have prevented the ability of Fannie and Freddie to be bailed out......not real consercative in my opinion.
taxpayer2

Dover, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Oh I see.
It's all Obama and the Dems fault. The two wars put on the credit card by the Bush Administration sanctioned by the Republican majority along with the deregulation of every moving part of the economy by the Republican dominated government. In other words the Republican Party Had control of all three branches of government for six of eight years of the Bush team and they worked in lock step passing legislation. Republicans have dominated leading the country for 27 of the last 41 years You say it's all the Dems fault? Republicans had the government and economy that they wanted because they passed the laws that made it come to be. Good luck with making your story believable. Hey I bet you have some ocean front property in Ft Smith at a bargain.

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

taxpayer2 wrote:
Oh I see.
It's all Obama and the Dems fault.
Not completely, but for the most part. They have, after all, increased the budget by over a trillion dollars per year, plus added $4.5 trillion to the national debt. Did you know that they have wasted more money in 3 short years than all of the Presidents and Congresses have for the previous 20 years combined?
The two wars put on the credit card by the Bush Administration sanctioned by the Republican majority along with the deregulation of every moving part of the economy by the Republican dominated government.
The Bush administration had absolutely no power to put anything on the credit card. Only Congress has the power to borrow against the credit of the U.S. Read Article 1 of the Constitution.

There is nothing wrong with deregulation. In principle, the government that governs best governs least. That's not from the mouth of a radical extremist, it was the motto of a journal extolling the views of Thomas Jefferson. Perhaps you've heard of him; he was one of our nation's founding fathers.
In other words the Republican Party Had control of all three branches of government for six of eight years of the Bush team and they worked in lock step passing legislation.
The judicial branch of government is not controlled by any political party. The justices are appointed for life. Read Article 3 of the Constitution.
Republicans have dominated leading the country for 27 of the last 41 years You say it's all the Dems fault?
You are terribly misinformed. Republicans have only held a majority in Congress for 12 of the last 60 years. Maybe you need to refresh yourself on recent American history, along with a primer on the U.S. Constitution. You appear to be horribly uninformed.
taxpayer2

Dover, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

We'll see in November.
taxpayer2

Dover, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Just one more thing. Nixon/Ford 8 years,Carter 4 years,Reagan 8 years,HW Bush 4 years, Clinton 8 years. W Bush 8 years. I see 28 years of republican presidents. And was it 1994 when Gingrich was Speaker as Repubs take the house. And kept it until 2007.I can't remember the senate,maybe you can help with that. Both of us had it wrong. But one thing for sure, the economic plan didn't work. Unless you are willing to say that the economy never took a near depression dive.

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

taxpayer2 wrote:
Just one more thing. Nixon/Ford 8 years,Carter 4 years,Reagan 8 years,HW Bush 4 years, Clinton 8 years. W Bush 8 years. I see 28 years of republican presidents. And was it 1994 when Gingrich was Speaker as Repubs take the house. And kept it until 2007.I can't remember the senate,maybe you can help with that. Both of us had it wrong. But one thing for sure, the economic plan didn't work. Unless you are willing to say that the economy never took a near depression dive.
The truth is that the office of President has no real power over the economy. Congress holds that power, and I was correct in stating that Republicans have only held control of Congress for 12 of the last 60 years.

As far as the nosediving economy, that began after the Democrats regained control of Congress after the 2006 elections, and is a direct result of their failed policies imposed upon Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, forcing them to make home loans to people that couldn't afford them.

One interesting thing to note that with the sweeping government power grab of a financial reform bill, not one line does anything to straighten out the mess of Freddie and Fannie when those two entitities are at the root of our economic problems.
taxpayer2

Ozark, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Well I guess since the President has no power you can't blame Obama for anything. So stop blaming him for all of the Republican woes. I doubt that anyone reading these posts believe the fall of our economy and the global economy can be credited to two years of Democrat control of Congress. Especially since they could do very little against a veto of the Republican Bush Administration. I'm here all day!!
Obummer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

The Dems are toast in November...And not just in AR...
taxpayer2

Ozark, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Well I guess we'll see. don't count your chickens.

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

taxpayer2 wrote:
Well I guess since the President has no power you can't blame Obama for anything. So stop blaming him for all of the Republican woes. I doubt that anyone reading these posts believe the fall of our economy and the global economy can be credited to two years of Democrat control of Congress. Especially since they could do very little against a veto of the Republican Bush Administration. I'm here all day!!
I didn't say the President had no power, I said he had no real power over the economy. And I certainly haven't blamed him for any Republican woe.

What I blame Obama for are his Marxist policies, impotent leadership, and lying mouth.

BTW, Bush vetoed less legislation than any President in modern history. You'll have to go back 150 years or so to find another President who used his veto pen any less.

You can believe what you want, but facts are facts. When Democrats regained control of Congress after the 2006 elections, the economy was rocking right along with unemployment around 4.5% and the Dow at an all-time high.

After that time, we've seen massive spending and unprecedented borrowing coupled with negligent oversight of the financial sector, chiefly by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, who ignored the warnings given to them by Republicans about the imminent failure of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and by blocking legislative efforts to fix the problem before everything went to hell in a handbasket.

Yes, the blame is mostly the fault of the wacko Democrats who are in charge right now. Fortunately, those of you who are are oblivious to the damage they have caused are a shrinking minority and come November we'll kick the wackos out and elect some sanity back to Congress.
taxpayer2

Russellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Okay pal I'm a little tired of your snooty remarks. Your math don't work. W took office from a Dem that left a balanced budget and a decreasing debt. W didn't leave it better than he found it. All of the no tax and spend put us in a hole. W only vetoed when the Dems took control. Of course no Repug spending was vetoed. Tax cuts are spending and they wasn't paid for. The wars were supplied with our stock which was not replaced until Obama took office because W didn't want the real cost of His war to show on his watch. I love it when the Righties talk about how wonderful they are. Will Rogers once said ' Republicans don't think government works and then they get elected and prove it. We'll see in November
taxpayer2

Russellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Correction

Will Rogers once said. " Republicans think government doesn't work. And then they get elected and prove it"

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

taxpayer2 wrote:
Okay pal I'm a little tired of your snooty remarks. Your math don't work. W took office from a Dem that left a balanced budget and a decreasing debt.
Again, your ignorance regarding recent history and the structure of our government is glaring. First of all, it is Congress who enacts the budget, not the President. So if you want to give credit for the ďbalancedĒ budget, you have to give it to the Republican Congress that served during the last 6 years of Clintonís tenure.

In the second place, the national debt under Clinton did not decrease as you claim. It increased year after year that he was in office. If there truly were a balanced budget, the country would not have had to borrow more money and the debt would either have stayed the same or decreased. The fact is that it increased.
All of the no tax and spend put us in a hole.
Thatís not true. It was overspending that put us in a hole. Again, if you would study recent history youíll see that cutting taxes actually spurs economic growth, which results in higher incomes for both businesses and people. Higher incomes mean greater revenues from income taxes. During Reaganís years, taxes were cut which resulted in economic growth and government revenues actually increased. A smaller piece of a much larger pie is more than a large piece of a small and shrinking pie, which is what occurs when taxes are increased.
Tax cuts are spending and they wasn't paid for.
Tax cuts are not spending. Tax cuts may result in slowing the amount of revenue coming in to government, but thatís not spending. Spending is money going out, not coming in. Thatís basic accounting. Surely youíre smart enough to recognize that.
The wars were supplied with our stock which was not replaced until Obama took office because
Our stock? What are you talking about? Are you saying the government owns stock? How much? In what companies?

You continue to cobble together the most convoluted, errant mishmash of statements Iíve seen in quite a while.
taxpayer2

Russellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Your not believable. That is exactly why Will Rogers said what he did. Repugs never see it comming because they are so full of themselves. And the think they can never be wrong. This false belief is facilitated because they make up their own facts and begin believing their own lies. And the typical Repugs idea of compromise is when others see it their way. You have constantly insulted me on this thread for no reason. You Sir are an ASS. And you probably have been divorced several times because you seem treat every one the same and no person I have ever met could stand to be in your company more that 5 minutes. Good bye Sir and Good day
taxpayer2

Russellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Here is just one of your lies. After 1981 Reagan increased taxes and spending several times. Look it up on Wikipedia dumbass. I didn't have to because I lived through it. I could debunk the rest of your lies but i have wasted enough time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hendrix College Discussions

Search the Hendrix College Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr. Robin Bowen named Arkansas Tech president Jun '14 Jtn 11
Poll shows shift on marijuana, road tax proposals (Oct '12) Oct '12 Jillian 6
disingenuous, if not insulting (Aug '12) Aug '12 Jack the Exporter 16
Wichita Falls Alexis Box Signs with Hendrix Col... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Really 1
Hendrix housing program offers - gender-neutral... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Sharon 1
Racial factor called scant in Elliott loss (Nov '10) Nov '10 Jim M 1
38 mins. ago - Judge in West Memphis case wins ... (May '10) Jun '10 Crow T Robot 8
•••
•••