Making it easier for LGBT Jewish kids...

Making it easier for LGBT Jewish kids to be open, honest

There are 1 comment on the story from Nov 1, 2011, titled Making it easier for LGBT Jewish kids to be open, honest. In it, reports that:

Someday, maybe every gay Jewish youth will have as easy a time coming out as Elias Rubin did.

Join the discussion below, or

“Nothing but me”

Since: Apr 08

Kansas City

#1 Nov 2, 2011
Our little Jewish school had its first students come out last year - one as gay and one as bisexual, and the administration put together a program for the whole high school about homosexuality and Judaism. The idea was to allow for an honest and open discussion. At the time I was one of 2 gay staff members (this year I am the only one), and we were very surprised at the level of acceptance throughout the student body.
Nothing changed in student relations, but the admins actions gave the student body the message that our school is a safe place for everyone to be open about who they are.
Hopefully more schools follow this idea, and allow the students to feel safe to be themselves, while pursuing a high quality education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Richard Joel Points Fingers Over Mushrooming Ye... (Dec '14) Dec '14 ROSENBERG 2
Jewish institute (Sep '14) Sep '14 Anonymous 1
News Jewish film festival rediscovers older films (Feb '14) Feb '14 Mika Brezinski UG 2
News Central Synagogue Names First Asian-American He... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Hmmm 1
News Archaeology professor to give lecture on Israel (Nov '12) Nov '12 T roy 1
News Congregation B'nai Shalom in Westborough welcom... (Aug '12) Aug '12 American Gentlema... 1
News Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit unites manuscripts wit... (Jul '12) Jul '12 ezdzit 11
More from around the web