States with strict gun laws found to ...

States with strict gun laws found to have fewer shooting deaths

There are 5075 comments on the Reuters story from Mar 7, 2013, titled States with strict gun laws found to have fewer shooting deaths. In it, Reuters reports that:

States that have more laws restricting gun ownership have lower rates of death from shootings, both suicides and homicides, a study by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#5275 Jun 17, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Dodging again? You rant on God when I said nothing about God. The owner ship of the best tool available for self defense is very relevant to the subject of self defense. You insist "certain" tools should be removed from the public hands simply because the tool is the most efficient tool available. That's like saying you can't use a hammer to drive a nail because it is too efficient so you can only use a feather....EDITED....
I repeat, I haven't "dodged" anything, am not "ranting about God," and do not propose that all gun ownership be banned. Nor would there be any similarity between banning, say, assault rifles and oversized clips/magazines and forcing someone to exchange a hammer for a feather.

You're really quite stupid, I see no reason to pursue this with you unless you can come up with better arguments - and more honest ones.

Good luck with that.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#5276 Jun 17, 2013
Dr-Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Sure.
Anti-Fascism

United States

#5277 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I repeat, I haven't "dodged" anything, am not "ranting about God," and do not propose that all gun ownership be banned. Nor would there be any similarity between banning, say, assault rifles and oversized clips/magazines and forcing someone to exchange a hammer for a feather.
You're really quite stupid, I see no reason to pursue this with you unless you can come up with better arguments - and more honest ones.
Good luck with that.
In comparison to any other rifle on the market, there's no such thing as an "assault rifle" in *reality!* <- Somewhere very few actually dwell today when concerning the anti-gun bunch.

If one wants to be literal in truth [as they should be] then say "semi-automatic rifle."

All rifles can be used to "assault" with! Just like all pistols could be used to "assault" with; just like all knives, hammers, bats and fists can be used to "assault" with, yet none are called "assault pistols/knives/hammers/bats/fi sts," right?

Silly anti-gun, pro-fascist labels made up by uneducated, ignorant, propagandist numbskulls attempting to demonize a certain type of firearm which they want the masses [of simpleton anti-gun sheeple] to absolutely fear, in order to get on the side of the [fascist] government in banning them from good citizens' hands.

I can buy a 33 round magazine for Glock 17, 19 and 26 models, and the Glock is [obviously] semi-automatic as well.

Can 9mm Glocks now be labeled "Assault Pistols"?

And who determines what is "high capacity"? Compared to what?

then when those "high capacity" magazines are banned from citizens' hands, the highest capacity magazines legal after those will be demonized when some criminal used those. Then it goes on and on. We're not stupid enough to fall for that, though, but other simpletons are. ;-)

If the government can arm themselves with semi-automatic rifles then so can the citizenry. This was the context of the 2nd Amendment: that the body of people be the militia, armed in order to *defend* their liberty against enemies, foreign and domestic; government or private.

If you, and others like you, don't like this then you're free to move to another country, like France, the UK, Germany, Belgium, Spain, etc.

Have a nice flight!:-)

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#5278 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
In comparison to any other rifle on the market, there's no such thing as an "assault rifle" in *reality!* <- Somewhere very few actually dwell today when concerning the anti-gun bunch.
..EDITED....
Actually, you're a f---ing liar:

http://primism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01...

The above are assault rifles. It doesn't matter what YOU think they are....they're called that, designed that way, and marketed as that.

Now sit down and STFU, liar.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#5279 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
...EDITED.....If you, and others like you, don't like this then you're free to move to another country, like France, the UK, Germany, Belgium, Spain, etc.
GFY, cretin. I'm moving nowhere because gun-nazis like you say so. I'm staying here to fight for peace and freedom in my own country.

Love guns? YOU move, pr---k.
Anti-Fascism

United States

#5280 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The above are assault rifles. It doesn't matter what YOU think they are....they're called that, designed that way, and marketed as that.
I don't care what anyone else labels them; it's clear that they're attempting to use said label in order to instill a certain fear, based upon fallacy, in [uneducated] peoples' minds when they hear or read that label. So, in order to combat this [obvious] brainwashing, We The People will come back and 'school' the ignoramus' in what is really going on.

They can call them "Hellfire Assault Rifles of Absolute Destruction" all they want, if that's what they chose to! I'll still be back to school the partial-truth telling little propagandists any day of the week.

You hate the truth, you [actual] fascist-sympathizing snake, so you seek to silence that truth. I will not "STFU" and I was already sitting down at my computer... thank you very much.:-)

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#5281 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what anyone else labels them; it's clear that they're attempting to use said label in order to instill a certain fear, based upon fallacy, in [uneducated] peoples' minds when they hear or read that label. So, in order to combat this [obvious] brainwashing, We The People will come back and 'school' the ignoramus' in what is really going on.
They can call them "Hellfire Assault Rifles of Absolute Destruction" all they want, if that's what they chose to! I'll still be back to school the partial-truth telling little propagandists any day of the week.
You hate the truth, you [actual] fascist-sympathizing snake, so you seek to silence that truth. I will not "STFU" and I was already sitting down at my computer... thank you very much.:-)
You've been told the truth, so you can't pretend you're still honest. You KNOW you're lying, so I'll have to be satisfied with that. You can't claim ignorance as an excuse any more.

They are assault rifles, and are marketed as such to impotent gun nuts who get off on playing soldiers. Trouble is, some of 'em think that co-workers, people in malls, or little kids at school are the 'enemy' and just start blazing away.

That ought to be stopped at the source. Your opinions on the matter aren't important.
Anti-Fascism

United States

#5282 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been told the truth, so you can't pretend you're still honest. You KNOW you're lying, so I'll have to be satisfied with that. You can't claim ignorance as an excuse any more.
They are assault rifles, and are marketed as such to impotent gun nuts who get off on playing soldiers. Trouble is, some of 'em think that co-workers, people in malls, or little kids at school are the 'enemy' and just start blazing away.
That ought to be stopped at the source. Your opinions on the matter aren't important.

If one wants to be literal in truth [as they should be] then say "semi-automatic rifle."

All rifles can be used to "assault" with! Just like all pistols could be used to "assault" with; just like all knives, hammers, bats and fists can be used to "assault" with, yet none are called "assault pistols/knives/hammers/bats/fi sts," right?

Silly anti-gun, pro-fascist labels made up by uneducated, ignorant, propagandist numbskulls attempting to demonize a certain type of firearm which they want the masses [of simpleton anti-gun sheeple] to absolutely fear, in order to get on the side of the [fascist] government in banning them from good citizens' hands.

I can buy a 33 round magazine for Glock 17, 19 and 26 models, and the Glock is [obviously] semi-automatic as well.

then when those "high capacity" magazines are banned from citizens' hands, the highest capacity magazines legal after those will be demonized when some criminal used those. Then it goes on and on. We're not stupid enough to fall for that, though, but other simpletons are. ;-)

If the government can arm themselves with semi-automatic rifles then so can the citizenry. This was the context of the 2nd Amendment: that the body of people be the militia, armed in order to *defend* their liberty against enemies, foreign and domestic; government or private.

If you, and others like you, don't like this then you're free to move to another country, like France, the UK, Germany, Belgium, Spain, etc.

spocko

Oakland, CA

#5283 Jun 17, 2013
Dr-Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>
More insults and avoidance. What a shocker! Lol.
So I guess I can just call all your posts dog shit and not worry about addressing them.
Well now, the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you succeed every time.

Location hidden

#5285 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely you jest.
Of course a free marketeer would cash in on the "assault" rifle misnomer after the antis established it. DUH !

Just like "fast food" is a misnomer as well. One can not cook a hamburger any faster on a "fast food" grill than they can on any other grill.

Designed that way? Nope, not any more than ANY other self defense firearm.

"Assault rifle" is a misnomer and it stuck, just like "thermos" stuck, but any old vacuum bottle is not a "thermos" bottle unless the brand name "Thermos" is on it.

Folks could call you the "n"-word, or a prostitute, or a "n"-word prostitute too. Do any of those titles make you so? Nope (I'm assuming of course).

ANY object picked up and used in an assault of another person, IS an "assault weapon".
Grow up.

Location hidden

#5286 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Trouble is, some of 'em think that co-workers, people in malls, or little kids at school are the 'enemy' and just start blazing away.
"That ought to be stopped at the source."

Yes.
That source IS, in fact, "some of 'em".

That has precious little to do with what ever weapon "some of 'em" choose to use in their assault on the innocent.

It is human behavior that is the problem here, not some damn tool that is incapable of acting all by it's little ole lonesome.
Wake up.
Grow up.
Get real.
Just do it.
Do it now.

Location hidden

#5287 Jun 17, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinions on the matter aren't important.
I'll take that bet. I'm ALL IN.
You in?
You willing to bet your very life on it?
I am. So are my fellow patriots.
Our "opinions" on the matter carry iron sir. Yours are empty air.
You still willing to bet your life that our opinion does not matter?
You are wrong sir. Our opinions matter.
Anti-Fascism

United States

#5288 Jun 17, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"That ought to be stopped at the source."
Yes.
That source IS, in fact, "some of 'em".
That has precious little to do with what ever weapon "some of 'em" choose to use in their assault on the innocent.
It is human behavior that is the problem here, not some damn tool that is incapable of acting all by it's little ole lonesome.
Wake up.
Grow up.
Get real.
Just do it.
Do it now.
Exactly what I was thinking: The source of the problem is the individual nutjob or criminal who's committing the crime at that moment, not the type of tool he/she is holding while doing so; lest we ban all military weaponry from the government (as I always say, sorry for repetition) in light of the hundreds of millions of people who died at the hands of tyrannical, fascist government military who slaughtered them over the last 100 years alone.

So either these simpletons remain consistent in their banning of arms based upon the minority who abuse them, or they can just remain silent and thus stop embarrassing themselves in front of those with *actual* intelligence. ;-)

But you see, these anti-gun simpletons are only thinking about themselves, since they're unarmed now, so instead of arming themselves for the moments when those nutjobs do open fire, they'd rather make every other good citizen give up their guns. lol!

What a bunch of numpties.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#5289 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now, I don’t think you really have a choice but the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you succeed every time. The “Assault Rifle”(Sturmgewehr) has a very distinguished history – whether you gunloon believes it or not is hardly a criteria!
spocko

Oakland, CA

#5290 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I was thinking: The source of the problem is the individual nutjob or criminal who's committing the crime at that moment, not the type of tool he/she is holding while doing so; lest we ban all military weaponry from the government (as I always say, sorry for repetition) in light of the hundreds of millions of people who died at the hands of tyrannical, fascist government military who slaughtered them over the last 100 years alone.
So either these simpletons remain consistent in their banning of arms based upon the minority who abuse them, or they can just remain silent and thus stop embarrassing themselves in front of those with *actual* intelligence. ;-)
But you see, these anti-gun simpletons are only thinking about themselves, since they're unarmed now, so instead of arming themselves for the moments when those nutjobs do open fire, they'd rather make every other good citizen give up their guns. lol!
What a bunch of numpties.
What are you a semi retard? Laws are established not for those who live by them but for the minority that don't - friggen moron! Besides any law abiding citizen is that until he/she is not!
Anti-Fascism

San Jose, CA

#5291 Jun 17, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you a semi retard? Laws are established not for those who live by them but for the minority that don't - friggen moron! Besides any law abiding citizen is that until he/she is not!
Written laws mean nothing [to the thug-criminal] without force to directly and imminently back those laws up. Since police cannot be (and thankfully are not) everywhere at once, it's therefore up to We The People to be armed in helping defend our life, liberty, rights and property against these [thug-criminals] who do seek to ignore those mere written laws.

And if they're written for the minority who don't then why does the government (and their brainwashed puppet subjects) seek infringe upon innocent citizens' rights to bear arms, when those citizens did nothing wrong to begin with?

Looks like they're saying we're all "guilty until proven innocent" instead of "innocent until proven guilty."

Only fascist, tyrannical governments look at all citizens as if the citizens are guilty of crimes they never even committed, thus seek to make those good citizens vulnerable to tyrants who seek to specifically control those good citizens by overpowering them by force. First, they seek to disarm them, of course, "for their own safety", then comes the true tyranny upon the people afterward. History has shown this happen so many times, it's amazing how you pawns refuse to acknowledge it, then seek to change your brainwashed mind. Start learning *how* to think, not merely repeat *what you told* to think.

O' simple one, when will your clueless kind ever wake up?

Or are you a very bored, useless troll?

Either way, it's pathetic.

Location hidden

#5292 Jun 17, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
So, laws do not stop one damn thing from happening.
That is correct. Good job !

That makes one wonder tho, why it is that you understand that fact, but yet advocate writing more useless laws that also will NOT stop one damn thing from happening ... except turn otherwise law abiding cvitizens into criminals..

You are incorrect in the latter part of your post. Any "law abiding" citizen is that until someone else comes along and decides they do not like what that "law abiding" citizen is doing, or what they own which you disagree with.

All it takes for you to turn millions into criminals is to pass a law which outlaws certain of the "law abiding" citizen's possessions.
Presto/chango ... instant criminals. A large group of "law abiding" citizens that you demand be labeled as such, apparently.

You speak with forked tongue Washichu.
Anti-Fascism

San Jose, CA

#5293 Jun 17, 2013
"...what you're* told to think."
spocko

Oakland, CA

#5294 Jun 17, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
So, laws do not stop one damn thing from happening.
That is correct. Good job !
That makes one wonder tho, why it is that you understand that fact, but yet advocate writing more useless laws that also will NOT stop one damn thing from happening ... except turn otherwise law abiding cvitizens into criminals..
You are incorrect in the latter part of your post. Any "law abiding" citizen is that until someone else comes along and decides they do not like what that "law abiding" citizen is doing, or what they own which you disagree with.
All it takes for you to turn millions into criminals is to pass a law which outlaws certain of the "law abiding" citizen's possessions.
Presto/chango ... instant criminals. A large group of "law abiding" citizens that you demand be labeled as such, apparently.
You speak with forked tongue Washichu.
All you simpletons from the right manage to do is polemicize serious issues such as the age of the earth, evolution, climate change and on and on, for religious, political and even economic ideology! If you want to deny evolution and live in your world — in your world that’s completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe — fine. But don’t make your kids do it, because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for a secure future.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#5295 Jun 17, 2013
Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
Written laws mean nothing [to the thug-criminal] without force to directly and imminently back those laws up. Since police cannot be (and thankfully are not) everywhere at once, it's therefore up to We The People to be armed in helping defend our life, liberty, rights and property against these [thug-criminals] who do seek to ignore those mere written laws.
And if they're written for the minority who don't then why does the government (and their brainwashed puppet subjects) seek infringe upon innocent citizens' rights to bear arms, when those citizens did nothing wrong to begin with?
Looks like they're saying we're all "guilty until proven innocent" instead of "innocent until proven guilty."
Only fascist, tyrannical governments look at all citizens as if the citizens are guilty of crimes they never even committed, thus seek to make those good citizens vulnerable to tyrants who seek to specifically control those good citizens by overpowering them by force. First, they seek to disarm them, of course, "for their own safety", then comes the true tyranny upon the people afterward. History has shown this happen so many times, it's amazing how you pawns refuse to acknowledge it, then seek to change your brainwashed mind. Start learning *how* to think, not merely repeat *what you told* to think.
O' simple one, when will your clueless kind ever wake up?
Or are you a very bored, useless troll?
Either way, it's pathetic.
Well now, I don’t think you really have a choice but the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you succeed every time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump, Clinton aides clash at post-election gat... Tue Lixy9440 126
News Strict parenting is a sign of love Dec 3 Panties Hurt In L... 2
News Rhodes scholars for Class of 2017 announced Nov 21 spytheweb 1
Harvard Private Special Acceptance Nov 14 QQQ 1
News Oprah Winfrey lists Elmwood Park house, her las... Nov 12 former democrat 1
News Brennan: Area's millennial voters shrug at Clin... Oct '16 ClintonTrashes 1
woman put in jail for carrying protest sign Oct '16 rlwaller 1
More from around the web