What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin A...

What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin America'

There are 119 comments on the National Public Radio story from Jul 27, 2011, titled What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin America'. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

Between 1502 and 1866, 11.2 million Africans disembarked from slave ships in the New World during the Middle Passage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“I love being a Black Man”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#105 Aug 1, 2011
theeyeshaveit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's clear that a majority of dominicans have african ancestry but it would be foolish to conclude that once they come to america they are accepting of it or that they automatically realize that, that is how they are seen. I don't care what NPR says, I've lived among them for years. It doesn't work like that, not for them and not for many of the blacks and mulatos from latin america.
I understand what you are saying. But some things are night and day. There are very dark Dominicans. Alfonso Soriano is Dominican. Big Papi is Dominican. For them to claim that they aren't Black. That is just living in denial. Especially seeing how lighter skinned people in Latin American countries are treated better.
SUNDAE

United States

#106 Aug 1, 2011
Bappie I know that you are very intelligent! Im normally am a big fan of your posts but only if you came to Chicago you could get the full gist of what I am talking about! I understand its a cultural difference no different than if they were jamican. Even Jamaicans try to dog black Americans I get that! atleast Jamaicans acknowledge their African heritage but the Puerto ricans in Chicago dont! at first I just thought it was because they were heavily mixed but then so are a lot of black people
Hell I'm Creole I have a very strong culture but.we still acknowledge our African heritage! I get mistaken for being Puerto rican a lot and when I tell them I'm black they are lost for words they just don't understand!
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#107 Aug 1, 2011
SUNDAE wrote:
Bappie I know that you are very intelligent! Im normally am a big fan of your posts but only if you came to Chicago you could get the full gist of what I am talking about! I understand its a cultural difference no different than if they were jamican. Even Jamaicans try to dog black Americans I get that! atleast Jamaicans acknowledge their African heritage but the Puerto ricans in Chicago dont! at first I just thought it was because they were heavily mixed but then so are a lot of black people
Hell I'm Creole I have a very strong culture but.we still acknowledge our African heritage! I get mistaken for being Puerto rican a lot and when I tell them I'm black they are lost for words they just don't understand!
wait a minute; jamaicans dog black americans u dont care but if latino dogs on AA omg, its a shock
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#108 Aug 1, 2011
MumRa wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying. But some things are night and day. There are very dark Dominicans. Alfonso Soriano is Dominican. Big Papi is Dominican. For them to claim that they aren't Black. That is just living in denial. Especially seeing how lighter skinned people in Latin American countries are treated better.
what about african upper class who treats others as crap

“I love being a Black Man”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#109 Aug 1, 2011
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq wrote:
<quoted text>
what about african upper class who treats others as crap
What does that have to do with colorism within Latin America? People treating others like crap is as old as mankind.
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#111 Aug 1, 2011
MumRa wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with colorism within Latin America? People treating others like crap is as old as mankind.
u think this exist in latin america its all over the planet; people call each by diffferent tribes, clans, nationalities etc....

CaptainRight

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#112 Aug 1, 2011
bappie wrote:
<quoted text>With regards to American AAs, a very good propaganda campaign waged against us has made other countries (and those from other countries with African ancestry) look down on AAs and I am not disputing that. The reasons for it our obvious so most will not identify with AAs even when we look the same.
Crime rates, abortion rates, illegitimacy rates, graduation rates, employment rates... they don't lie. But you can deny it and call it propaganda. Further proof that you don't take responsibility for your poor showing.
SUNDAE

United States

#113 Aug 1, 2011
<quoted text>
wait a minute; jamaicans dog black americans u dont care but if latino dogs on AA omg, its a shock
again there you go putting your nose in somebody else's business that message was for bappie not for you pepe! Not to mention Jamaicas acknowledge their blackness!
SUNDAE

United States

#114 Aug 1, 2011
<quoted text>
what ur saying every country has same issues, gangs, robbery, crime, thats everywhere in the world and you should know that;
keep studying your English because you still don't comprehend English too well!
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#115 Aug 1, 2011
SUNDAE wrote:
<quoted text> keep studying your English because you still don't comprehend English too well!
according to you; you said "mexicans are ugly, that mexicans are not exotic, that their gang bangers" etc.... ooooo nooo your have to be right after all your married to puerto rican; since your married to puerto rican you assume everything about all of latin america.... not to mention your idea that creole women are beautiful just like brazilian women???? i dont know why you said that and you keep saying how mexican women are ugly???? you also said to me that alot of men are saying creole women are beautiful and exotic....

guess what i did do some research about creoles in lousiana... according to census, majority of resident of louisana is baptist, second most gays in USA (new orleans), also i been talking to some of dominican guys in my area... according to them, they dont know care???? "THEY LIKE HOTT WOMEN"
UruEuWauWau

France

#116 Aug 1, 2011
Mart wrote:
I've traveled extensively in South America and the largest concentration of Blacks are in Brazil and Venezuela.
The majority of the population is Indian, or a mixture of Indian/white, Indian/black. THEY are discriminated against by the few white elite.
There's SOME discrimination against blacks, but it's far worse for indians.
http://www.christconnection.net/id1.html
Where did ya travel, I really wonder. Cause ya surely weren't anywhere close to the real S.America, from what I read here, kiddo. ;-) This is the problem of y'all Usonian kids who try to learn about the world they never heard of before from the i-net. ;-P In BRA & Venezuela there are no 'blacks' nor 'Blacks'. ;-) As for Afro-descendants, well, on that topic many pages could be written. ;-P
nora

Greenwood, IN

#117 Aug 1, 2011
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did ya travel, I really wonder. Cause ya surely weren't anywhere close to the real S.America, from what I read here, kiddo. ;-) This is the problem of y'all Usonian kids who try to learn about the world they never heard of before from the i-net. ;-P In BRA & Venezuela there are no 'blacks' nor 'Blacks'. ;-) As for Afro-descendants, well, on that topic many pages could be written. ;-P
hey YOU!!!!
UruEuWauWau

France

#118 Aug 1, 2011
bappie wrote:
<quoted text>I get what you're saying and Sundae. It would seem that slavery still has left an eternal mark on those possessing African (slave) heritage. The African Slave dispersed across the diaspora was absorbed into the different cultures of where they were enslaved. Mixing with the natives and the European slave traders. It would seem that they've adopted the "cultural" aspect of the country they hail from and have forgotten or ignored the African aspect for the most part. Although I know for a fact it's acknowledged in PR, Hati and Brazil.
With regards to American AAs, a very good propaganda campaign waged against us has made other countries (and those from other countries with African ancestry) look down on AAs and I am not disputing that. The reasons for it our obvious so most will not identify with AAs even when we look the same.
With regards to American born PRs, I honestly think it's a part of them not being knowledgeable about their heritage. At least that's my take. But what I know of PRs and their heritage was told to me by them.
Oh, look here, our Usonian dummy apparently heard of/(somethin' about) BRA through the grapevine, but it's still very questionable if she-he could even find BRA on the world map. ;-) Ya know shyat about BRA is all I see here. Perhaps ya could ask that dumb & phagg white Usonian fella citizen Thaddeus (what a crappy Anglo name) to help ya out. ;-P
UruEuWauWau

France

#119 Aug 1, 2011
>>>What it means to be 'Black' in L.America<<< some Usonian Black kid wonders. ;-) Well, nuttin' much, since there are no 'Blacks' in L. & S.America.'Blacks' live in the St8s, Canada & UK (not that many), & some even come to L. & S.America tryin' to leave Usonian society behind & dream their 'American dream' in L. & S.America -- both Usonian whites & blacks. ;-D In L. & S. America live only proud >>>ni- insert gg -ers<<<. Or by the official L. & S.America terminology,'Afro-descendants' . ;-) It gr8ly varies from country to country, some are rich, many are poor, some are happy, others are sad, but most of 'em luuuuuv their countries of origin & feel strong cultural & social bonds w/ them & regions they grew up in. ;-D To be a >>>ni- insert gg -er<<< in L. & S.America overall means nuttin' much. Basically it's a feelin', a state of mind -- like one of my good & sexy Afro-BRA sisses once said. ;-)
UruEuWauWau

France

#120 Aug 1, 2011
nora wrote:
<quoted text>hey YOU!!!!
Oi, neguia. Tdo bem ai?! ;-)

- here somethin' for ya to listen to & relax by while lookin'@ the starry night somewhere in the St8s. ;-) Good ol' BRA groove. Adjective 'Black' ya see on the cover of the album & band's name in BRA Xclusively applies to USA-ican 'Blacks'. From the time y'all were fightin' to be recognized in the St8s. Kinda a tribute to y'all & a reference to a part of the musical influence. Ya see? Things are not always that bad. Fui ;-D
SUNDAE

United States

#121 Aug 1, 2011
<quoted text>
according to you; you said "mexicans are ugly, that mexicans are not exotic, that their gang bangers" etc.... ooooo nooo your have to be right after all your married to puerto rican; since your married to puerto rican you assume everything about all of latin america.... not to mention your idea that creole women are beautiful just like brazilian women???? i dont know why you said that and you keep saying how mexican women are ugly???? you also said to me that alot of men are saying creole women are beautiful and exotic....
guess what i did do some research about creoles in lousiana... according to census, majority of resident of louisana is baptist, second most gays in USA (new orleans), also i been talking to some of dominican guys in my area... according to them, they dont know care???? "THEY LIKE HOTT WOMEN"
you comment to much and you are getting people mixed up! I am not married to a Puerto rican that's BAPPIE not me! Also you are slow as hell how many times do I have to tell you the comments I made about Mexican were in response to a dum Mexican chic trying to talk shi to me about black women! Of course I had to put that ho in check! I do that to everybody!
SUNDAE

United States

#122 Aug 1, 2011
Also qqqqqqqqqqaqqqqq I don't care about your old research some Creoles are Baptist not all you will not find a stat on how many of us practice that old religion we keep it to ourselves ! San Francisco has the highest population of gays not Louisiana everybody knows that!
SUNDAE

United States

#123 Aug 1, 2011
UruEuWauWau wrote:
<quoted text>
Oi, neguia. Tdo bem ai?! ;-)
- here somethin' for ya to listen to & relax by while lookin'@ the starry night somewhere in the St8s. ;-) Good ol' BRA groove. Adjective 'Black' ya see on the cover of the album & band's name in BRA Xclusively applies to USA-ican 'Blacks'. From the time y'all were fightin' to be recognized in the St8s. Kinda a tribute to y'all & a reference to a part of the musical influence. Ya see? Things are not always that bad. Fui ;-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NVXpZNuKGvkXX
hi where you been hiding? Anyway when we say blacks in Latin American we mean those poor slaves (our ancestors )that were dropped off to so many places in Latin america, america and the beautiful islands and of course Brazil!
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#124 Aug 2, 2011
SUNDAE wrote:
Also qqqqqqqqqqaqqqqq I don't care about your old research some Creoles are Baptist not all you will not find a stat on how many of us practice that old religion we keep it to ourselves ! San Francisco has the highest population of gays not Louisiana everybody knows that!
i said second highest;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News August eclipse shines a light on the past 37 min what 2
News Soft and stretchy fabric-based sensors for wear... Jul 14 science bee 1
News Anti-transgender bus sparks protests as it visi... Jul 9 itsme 42
News If You Have a "Big Stick" Speaking Softly Is Na... Jun 22 American 3
News Universities host cultural graduation ceremonie... Jun '17 Frogface Kate 3
News Harvard Revokes Acceptance of 10 Incoming Fresh... Jun '17 No Trump Tards 1
News Formerly Homeless Teen Set to Enroll at Harvard... May '17 leticalacrn 1
More from around the web