What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin A...

What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin America'

There are 119 comments on the National Public Radio story from Jul 27, 2011, titled What It Means To Be 'Black In Latin America'. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

Between 1502 and 1866, 11.2 million Africans disembarked from slave ships in the New World during the Middle Passage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

CaptainRight

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Jul 28, 2011
It means you have to learn to say "Open up the damn register before I shoot yo azz" in Spanish.

“I love being a Black Man”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 28, 2011
I was listening to that show on the way home last night.

Harrisson

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

#3 Jul 28, 2011
MumRa wrote:
I was listening to that show on the way home last night.
Cool! I missed it, but I generally find NPR to be enlightening and enjoyable "driving radio."

Did you like the presentation?

Location hidden

#4 Jul 28, 2011
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool! I missed it, but I generally find NPR to be enlightening and enjoyable "driving radio."
Did you like the presentation?
Yeah I did. It was a two part segment.

What I found was interesting. Was how in Latin America. They don't consider themselves necessarily Black. But if a person from the Dominican Republic visits NY. He automatically understands that he is Black.

I also didn't realize the Mexico, and other Latin American countries don't include race on their census. While this does benefit the country socially. In reality. When there is discrimination against Black or darker skinned people. The government says there are no Black people. So many race based discrimination are rampant.

Harrisson

Pacific Northwest

#5 Jul 28, 2011
MumRa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I did. It was a two part segment.
What I found was interesting. Was how in Latin America. They don't consider themselves necessarily Black. But if a person from the Dominican Republic visits NY. He automatically understands that he is Black...
Yes, I've heard about the Dominicans and their legendary blindness about being black. But I hadn't heard that their racial consciousness changes when visiting the States... that's news to me.

Very interesting.

Location hidden

#6 Jul 28, 2011
Also. Apparently 1 in 3 Black American men have traces of a White Male ancestor. Through Y-DNA testing. Which is only found in men.

CaptainRight

Location hidden

#7 Jul 28, 2011
MumRa wrote:
Also. Apparently 1 in 3 Black American men have traces of a White Male ancestor. Through Y-DNA testing. Which is only found in men.
See? There is hope!

“The Love Below”

Since: Apr 10

ATL

#8 Jul 28, 2011
Did you see African American lives? I work with Mexicans, you can see the black in them, some have afros. Some told me their grandmother was black, before I knew this history. One girl told me her dad was very dark, and that Mexicans were mixed. A lot of them will tell you they are part black, but I never asked them, they just told me. One lady I worked with years ago, she told me her great, great grandmother was black, because someone asked her were their blacks in mexico. One lady I see everyday looks as black as any black american, afro hair and all.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 28, 2011
CaptainRight wrote:
It means you have to learn to say "Open up the damn register before I shoot yo azz" in Spanish.
lol.. you a racist twit, but that was funny.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10 Jul 28, 2011
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
Did you see African American lives? I work with Mexicans, you can see the black in them, some have afros. Some told me their grandmother was black, before I knew this history. One girl told me her dad was very dark, and that Mexicans were mixed. A lot of them will tell you they are part black, but I never asked them, they just told me. One lady I worked with years ago, she told me her great, great grandmother was black, because someone asked her were their blacks in mexico. One lady I see everyday looks as black as any black american, afro hair and all.
mexicans have a split personality on this issue. some will proudly claim their africanness while other will be in complete denial. yeah a lot of mexicans have fros and dark features. but the % of 'black blood' makes this ambigious. though some are clearly heavily mixed with black.
i've seen some fine ass afro-mexican chicanas though. those are probably the best women to get because black in general isn't considered attractive in their culture, so those women have no ego or attitude at all.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 28, 2011
Is it the same with Indians, out of curiousity? Not native Americans but actual Indians, from India? I had a professor in college that was darker than most of the students but swore up and down he wasn't Black.

“Why are you so serious?”

Location hidden

#12 Jul 28, 2011
Hey, we have two races only. This is Afrikan and European. The rest ARE mullattoes cos they got both mixture. Indians are more black, brown latinos, mexicans,hispanics, native americans ARE all black people. BUT THEY ARE NOT AFRIKAN BLACK.

CaptainRight

Location hidden

#13 Jul 29, 2011
chris722 wrote:
Is it the same with Indians, out of curiousity? Not native Americans but actual Indians, from India? I had a professor in college that was darker than most of the students but swore up and down he wasn't Black.
Who could blame him?

“What do the stars say......”

Since: May 11

...explore outside the milkway

#15 Jul 29, 2011
Blacks in Latin American face a lot of discrimination in their countries from the mestizos and white latinos, but when they come to america they want to act like they are better than african americans. Most of them do some of them don't.

I don't care about latinos they can kiss my black a**.
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqq

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jul 29, 2011
question is how many latinos are actually responding to this topix

CaptainRight

Location hidden

#17 Jul 29, 2011
jessi james wrote:
<quoted text>are you kidding me? since the history ,discovery,and national geographic channel just blew the lid off of your race being humans who mated and reproduced with neanderthals,ppl been desperately trying to prove thier not anglo!you have no room to be racist.youre biracial yourself.half anglo,half neanderthal.
Then how weak are you to be slaves to neanderthals?
SUNDAE

United States

#19 Jul 29, 2011
From what I observed is that they hate being black too! The ones that are undeniably black even act like they have no idea about the African slave trade they have no idea how their hair became kinky or curly or how their booty got big like that! People act like j-lo s butt is magical or something its just got that way from beans and rice! Not from Africas DNA contribution to Puerto Rico LOL! Its in the water!

CaptainRight

Location hidden

#20 Jul 29, 2011
jessi james wrote:
<quoted text>what a dumb ass question.if bears out numbered humans and had half a brain and weapons,we would have been slaves to them(including you)at that point in history.
The intelligent ones invented the guns while the slaves were looking for a good bone to put in their noses.

Harrisson

Pacific Northwest

#21 Jul 29, 2011
SUNDAE wrote:
From what I observed is that they hate being black too! The ones that are undeniably black even act like they have no idea about the African slave trade they have no idea how their hair became kinky or curly or how their booty got big like that!

People act like j-lo s butt is magical or something its just got that way from beans and rice....
To SOME extent that could be explained by illiteracy and possibly a low-quality Third World educational system. Throw in some Euro-centric cultural whitewashing and you potentially have a recipe for massive ignorance.

However, I would expect more from the educated, professional strata of Afro-Dominicans. For the garbage-collectors and field-hands, I would cut a little more slack...

Location hidden

#22 Jul 29, 2011
SUNDAE wrote:
From what I observed is that they hate being black too! The ones that are undeniably black even act like they have no idea about the African slave trade they have no idea how their hair became kinky or curly or how their booty got big like that! People act like j-lo s butt is magical or something its just got that way from beans and rice! Not from Africas DNA contribution to Puerto Rico LOL! Its in the water!
That isn't true with regards to Puerto Ricans. Yes, there are some who will tell you they have no black in them and some of them don't. They're most European (Spaniard, German, etc.) However, there's a host of them that will tell you they have African ancestry and you can see it. They don't hide it. They have a beautiful poem entitled Mi Abuela. Which basically states I put my grandmother on the front porch and you hide yours on the back porch which is to say some Puerto Ricans do but if asked, the majority will tell you what their ancestry is which is: the native Taino(sp) India, Spaniard and African.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harvard University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coinhealth ico Jan '18 Jimrhong 2
News 7 cities with the most residents struggling to ... Dec '17 Just saying 4
News Ivanka Trump: Malia Obama should be 'off limits... Dec '17 CodeTalker 91
News Waianae HS student Harvard-bound; 1st since 1980 (May '14) Nov '17 Dr Guru 4
News Schools seek to help immigrants amid mixed sign... Oct '17 Senator Hammond 13
News CIA director bails on Harvard speech after Chel... Oct '17 C Kersey 2
News Oprah Winfrey lists Elmwood Park house, her las... (Nov '16) Sep '17 Fiery Fox 3
More from around the web