College unmoved by outpouring for oxen

College unmoved by outpouring for oxen

There are 6 comments on the WCAX-TV Burlington story from Oct 24, 2012, titled College unmoved by outpouring for oxen. In it, WCAX-TV Burlington reports that:

Despite increasing pressure from animal lovers, Green Mountain College in Poultney says it will slaughter two oxen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCAX-TV Burlington.

Kathy

Lafayette, IN

#1 Oct 25, 2012
A college who promotes no compassion, no empathy, & NO MERCY. I predict this decision will be their down fall. Most parents and grandparents are not going to send their kids to a college where the people are cold as ice. It's just not safe.
Pam

Australia

#3 Oct 27, 2012
A really nasty affair, this....seems like the whole lot of them ,staff and students alike, are completely bereft of any sort of normal human decency. Not an establishment I'd send MY children to, I prefer them to be taught by, and be among, people with integrity, compassion, and ethics.
This unpleasant little issue is causing the name and reputation of Green Mountain to stink to high heaven, and NOT ONLY in Vermont.......
Stephanie

Galt, CA

#4 Oct 27, 2012
-- I wish the administration, faculty & students could find their moral compass and see this for what it really is, the MURDER of supposedly beloved Oxen, actually used in the year books and considered mascots. If they can not see the depravity here & understand the public outcry, then they are simply not able to comprehend compassion & empathy. Bill & Lou have slaved for this college for 10 yrs, and aren't afraid of humans, they are gentle souls & now the school is going to MURDER them instead of let them go to a sanctuary. That is just selfish arrogance practiced by all that refuse to show compassion and do the RIGHT THING, MORALLY! There is nothing sustainable about murdering Bill & Lou after a decade of service, it's just HEARTLESS! Shame on everyone involved, you are all just horrible!
Steve

Sterling, VA

#5 Oct 29, 2012
I find the "animal lovers" to be the cruelest of all. God gave man domain over the entire world and all that is in it for man's use. We can only assume God wanted man to use the resources properly. These two oxen have provided a wonderful service and lived great lives serving the school. A new time has come especially if one of the oxen is injured and quality of life has diminished. Do you want the animal to suffer longer and longer by "retiring" him? He is in pain and unable to serve man to his full potential. We all die but God provided us the ability and right to slaughter animals for our purpose...to survive and eat! See how you would feel if your leg was in constant pain! Would you want to be propped up like an invalid? Maybe so but I'll take my burgers with some cheese from fresh dairy cows!
ABS314

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Nov 4, 2012
This college is an example of pointless pseudo-intellectualizing and posturing coupled with the complete inability to make an intelligent and compassionate decision in an unusual instance. If they kill Bill and Lou, it is the antithesis of true farming, because typically food animals are not killed when they are old and have been used as work animals - the meat would be tough and stringy. Their slaughter makes no sense whatsoever. What they are doing however, is making martyrs out of these oxen and putting a very ugly stain on this college.

Even Psychology Today makes a very strong and intelligent point about this issue:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-em...

When all involved in wanting to kill Bill and Lou are old themselves and dependent on their children to make decisions about nursing homes and pulling the plug, it will be interesting to see how their cold hearted indoctrination comes back to haunt them.

We are ALL Bill and Lou.
Stephanie

Galt, CA

#7 Nov 4, 2012
Steve wrote:
I find the "animal lovers" to be the cruelest of all. God gave man domain over the entire world and all that is in it for man's use. We can only assume God wanted man to use the resources properly. These two oxen have provided a wonderful service and lived great lives serving the school. A new time has come especially if one of the oxen is injured and quality of life has diminished. Do you want the animal to suffer longer and longer by "retiring" him? He is in pain and unable to serve man to his full potential. We all die but God provided us the ability and right to slaughter animals for our purpose...to survive and eat! See how you would feel if your leg was in constant pain! Would you want to be propped up like an invalid? Maybe so but I'll take my burgers with some cheese from fresh dairy cows!
GOD? lmao, are you insane Steve? I'm afraid you are headed straight to hell, because if you believe that God stuff you are in for a big surprise. You obviously don't read your bible at all and are spouting nonsense. Better go back and re educate yourself before you eat another one of God's creations. And as to "your leg in constant pain" comment, yeah I would definitely want to be slaughtered!!!! How about when you are no longer useful to serve man we ship you off to the abattoir and murder you, then feed you to the homeless, humans are animals, made of meat, didn't ya know that Steve?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Mountain College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GMC oxen pair headed to slaughterhouse (Oct '12) Feb '13 nono 17
News Farmers' right to choose (Nov '12) Nov '12 Heather Alexander 1
News Malone apartment damaged by fire (Oct '12) Nov '12 obvious 2
News Green Mountain College to Slaughter Two Oxen (Oct '12) Oct '12 linda 73
News Opponents of plan to slaughter college's oxen t... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Kevin Clarke 1
News Despite Protest, College Plans To Slaughter, Se... (Oct '12) Oct '12 linda ahvenniemi 1
News URGENT: Save Bill and Lou from Slaughter (Oct '12) Oct '12 Nancy T 1
More from around the web