More Catholic College Holding LGBT Graduations

May 3, 2012 Full story: EDGE 45

A number of Catholic colleges around the country are holding special graduation ceremonies geared toward LGBT students, the Cardinal Newman Society Blog reported.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 May 3, 2012
What a hoot if Lavender Graduations go viral and old-skewl graduations are axed for lack of interest
What next; the Pope's shoes dyed to match the lavender color sensation?
http://media.npr.org/news/images/2008/apr/17/...
Caitlyn

Erie, PA

#2 May 3, 2012
I'm confused. They are segregating out the LGBT students to perform a separate ceremony, and this is a good thing?? Can someone please explain how this adds up to Inclusion?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3 May 3, 2012
I'm assuming the lavendar graduation is an additional, not separate ceremony. But I share your confusion.

I could imagine the campus GLBT activities group sponsoring a party or recognition ceremony. But I can't quite understand why it should be officially sanctioned.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4 May 3, 2012
Caitlyn wrote:
I'm confused. They are segregating out the LGBT students to perform a separate ceremony, and this is a good thing?? Can someone please explain how this adds up to Inclusion?
From first viewpoint; the segregated graduation has the appearance of just another insult in a long line of insults
For catholics; accommodating gays as actual living; breathing humans living on the planet is a huge baby step forward
Prior to this they defined us by imaginary horrors about what we do; instead of who we actually are

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#5 May 3, 2012
Why would an LGBT student WANT to be part of the Catholic Church ?! It makes no sense. It's like a Jewish Nazi or a black KKK member.

Can anyone explain this ?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 May 3, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
Why would an LGBT student WANT to be part of the Catholic Church ?! It makes no sense. It's like a Jewish Nazi or a black KKK member.
Obviously, most were forced by their families long before they had any say in the matter. Many probably had yet to explore the sexuality when they entered college. Oh, and Catholic Colleges educate people of many faiths.
Pat Robertson s Fatwass

Philadelphia, PA

#7 May 3, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, most were forced by their families long before they had any say in the matter. Many probably had yet to explore the sexuality when they entered college. Oh, and Catholic Colleges educate people of many faiths.
The racist pedo has "asked" that loaded question a hundred times and you actually cluttered the thread with an earnest, insult free reply.
Pat Robertson s Fatwass

Philadelphia, PA

#8 May 3, 2012
As for the glbt graduation ceremonies the hierarchy has looked the other way for now because the attendees are required to squeeze their diplomas between their knees.
born this way

Lewes, DE

#9 May 3, 2012
So when is the announcement that this whole story is a fabrication?
shang guan rui en

Kunming, China

#10 May 3, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
Gays have been members of the Catholic church since the very first molestation.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#11 May 3, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
As someone who was raised Catholic, I will attest to the fact that the laity often differs with the archdiocese, but being Catholic is often a cultural trait as well. My entire family is Catholic, and not a one of them cares one bit that I am gay. Rather, they emphasize that God loves all people, that one should judge not else be judged and treat others as they would have themselves be treated. Moreover, it is Catholic doctrine that questioning the teaching of the Church and God is an opportunity for spiritual growth. Therefore, Catholicism is seldom at odds with scientific discovery and the Vatican even tenuously admits there is evidence people are not gay by choice. That said, you might be surprised to know even our family priest knows I'm gay, doesn't care, and made it a special point to let me know how good of a husband I've been. Shocking, right? Not really, Catholicism is more accepting of gay people except when it comes to the current Pope and Cardinals. Last, Catholic Universities are as restricted concerning sexual orientation as you might think, although, sometimes bigoted agendas do find a foothold.
shang boyfriend

Pompano Beach, FL

#12 May 3, 2012
shang guan rui en wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays have been members of the Catholic church since the very first molestation.
how come you get gay priest to marry us and now you make nasty statement. why you take taxpayer welfare money when USA kick you out back to communist China? why you not tell communist parents you gay? how you get away with free tuition so long in USA before authorities find out? why your tricks on Central Ave keep calling? why you so obsessed with gay?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#13 May 4, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
I see your point,FaFoxy.However,Our Lord's message to mankind is ALL inclusive.Some members of the CC Hierarchy seem to have forgotten the TRUE meaning of His message.
born this way

Lewes, DE

#14 May 4, 2012
OK all you believers out there. Please explain the central tenets of your "faith." Why is your deity so concerned with blood? You have your choice of thousands and thousands of deities that have been worshiped by humans - why pick the one who is only satisfied by a blood sacrifice? Is this not the foundation of your whole religion? Do you really think a deity who will only be happy with a blood sacrifice is worthy of your respect and belief?

Location hidden

#15 May 4, 2012
born this way wrote:
OK all you believers out there. Please explain the central tenets of your "faith." Why is your deity so concerned with blood? You have your choice of thousands and thousands of deities that have been worshiped by humans - why pick the one who is only satisfied by a blood sacrifice? Is this not the foundation of your whole religion? Do you really think a deity who will only be happy with a blood sacrifice is worthy of your respect and belief?
The One.True,Christian God NEVER did require any human being to provide a blood sacrifice.Yes,in the Old Testament.Jewish Worshippers did offer animal sacrifice.In Genesis,Able offered a lamb sacrifice.It is my undestanding that God never did ask for blood sacrifices.Yes,it is written that God asked Abraham to sacrifice Issac;however,there is some debate over this story.
born this way

Lewes, DE

#16 May 4, 2012
Umm.

I think maybe you are forgetting your jesus. You know, the lamb of god, slaughtered to take away your sins? That is the blood sacrifice to which I am referring... and the central tenet of the christian belief.

Location hidden

#17 May 4, 2012
born this way wrote:
Umm.
I think maybe you are forgetting your jesus. You know, the lamb of god, slaughtered to take away your sins? That is the blood sacrifice to which I am referring... and the central tenet of the christian belief.
I understand;however,God,The Father,DID NOT ask Our Lord to sacrifice Himself upon the Cross.Our Lord did That of His Own Free Will to save mankind and open the gates of Heaven to all.
born this way

Lewes, DE

#18 May 4, 2012
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>I understand;however,God,The Father,DID NOT ask Our Lord to sacrifice Himself upon the Cross.Our Lord did That of His Own Free Will to save mankind and open the gates of Heaven to all.
Do you hear what you are saying? Somebody had to be killed, a blood sacrifice, to appease your deity (sounds like the Mayans, doesn't it?). My original question still remains unanswered. Why would you worship a deity who demands blood? I don't care if the sacrifice is willing or not. It's the nature of the deity that I question. And one's willingness to believe in such a deity.

Location hidden

#19 May 4, 2012
born this way wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you hear what you are saying? Somebody had to be killed, a blood sacrifice, to appease your deity (sounds like the Mayans, doesn't it?). My original question still remains unanswered. Why would you worship a deity who demands blood? I don't care if the sacrifice is willing or not. It's the nature of the deity that I question. And one's willingness to believe in such a deity.
I do understand your concern,hon.It also confuses me.I am sorry I cannot offer more info.I wish I could.****stephenie
born this way

Lewes, DE

#20 May 4, 2012
Off subject, but I just noticed that you are in the Poconos. When I was a kid, we vacationed at Lake Wallenpaupak every summer. It is one of my treasured memories. And my dad had an aunt and uncle there, they had fish ponds and a greenhouse, across the street from a mortuary (also in the family).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ian Tuttle: Diagnosing Conservatism as a Mental... Nov 25 Giuliani the Frau... 1
Investigative journalist Jose Antonio Vargas to... Nov '14 STOMP AN ILLEGAL ... 1
Obama: Global Warming Threatens 'Hopes and Drea... Nov '14 Earthling-1 4
The Islamic State gets the political treatment ... Oct '14 WasteWater 12
Susan Rice goes to China in bid to salvage rela... Sep '14 RayHCpp 1
Conflicts Engulf Christians in Mideast Aug '14 jinxi 1
Sex education should start sooner, study finds Aug '14 bugsy goldstein 4
More from around the web