Pro-life author of 'The Exorcist' to sue Georgetown Univ. ...

May 26, 2012 Full story: The Daily Caller 24

In this photo released by Starpix, "The Exorcist" author William Peter Blatty, left, joins Linda Blair, who starred in the 1973 film and William Friedkin, the film's director, at a screening of the remastered film, Wednesday, Sept.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#1 May 26, 2012
Blatty's always been an ass, but it's kinda hypocritical to complain when you best-known body of work concerns a child masturbating with a crucifix.

Of course, he has no standing to sue, either. He is not a representative of the church or the university. He donated of his own free will, and even he notes that the university has had the same basic policy for years. There was no fraud or intent to deceive.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#2 May 26, 2012
Cpeter is incorrect. Blatty and Georgetown alumni and donors have a perfect right to sue within the ecclesiastical processes of the Catholic Church. If Georgetown is not following the Catholic rules, they should not call themselves Catholic and should suffer the consequences of distancing themselves from Catholic canon. Catholics have the right to petition in the legal process of the Church for relief of such grievances. Further, Blatty wrote the book and co-produced the screenplay for "The Exorcist" based on an actual, provable, overseen case of possession actually having many of the symptoms displayed in the book and movie, which was indeed cured by a Catholic exorcist. Cpeter is trying to shock you with "masturbating", when the demon had the girl actually stabbing herself and causing great damage.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 May 27, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
Cpeter is incorrect. Blatty and Georgetown alumni and donors have a perfect right to sue within the ecclesiastical processes of the Catholic Church. If Georgetown is not following the Catholic rules, they should not call themselves Catholic and should suffer the consequences of distancing themselves from Catholic canon. Catholics have the right to petition in the legal process of the Church for relief of such grievances. Further, Blatty wrote the book and co-produced the screenplay for "The Exorcist" based on an actual, provable, overseen case of possession actually having many of the symptoms displayed in the book and movie, which was indeed cured by a Catholic exorcist. Cpeter is trying to shock you with "masturbating", when the demon had the girl actually stabbing herself and causing great damage.
Thankyou for posting this. Peter is a very bigoted person who strayed from the Church, he needs our prayers.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#4 May 27, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
Blatty's always been an ass, but it's kinda hypocritical to complain when you best-known body of work concerns a child masturbating with a crucifix.
Of course, he has no standing to sue, either. He is not a representative of the church or the university. He donated of his own free will, and even he notes that the university has had the same basic policy for years. There was no fraud or intent to deceive.
It does make a curious lawsuit. As you have pointed out he is not representative of the catholic church nor does he hold any official position with in the church that would give him any standing.

The law suit it self might really just be a protest to bring out the what he sees Georgetown is doing wrong. Is meant to force Georgetown University to acknowledge and correct what he sees as being wrong.

**shrugs**

Hard to tell with such a short article.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#5 May 27, 2012
Even Blatty said it was masturbating with a crucifix. But spin it however you need to; you always do.

There was nothing saying they were suing within the church; it says they are going to court. The courts do not determine if institutions are living up to canon. The donors gave, knowing full well what the university's policies are; there was no sudden shift in focus or direction. Even within the church, it would have to be a representative of the hierarchy, not just some genuflecters with a beef.

Of course, it could open the floodgates for tons of lawsuits by those the church personnel molested over the decades; wouldn't THAT get costly!
Bringmedinner wrote:
Cpeter is incorrect. Blatty and Georgetown alumni and donors have a perfect right to sue within the ecclesiastical processes of the Catholic Church. If Georgetown is not following the Catholic rules, they should not call themselves Catholic and should suffer the consequences of distancing themselves from Catholic canon. Catholics have the right to petition in the legal process of the Church for relief of such grievances. Further, Blatty wrote the book and co-produced the screenplay for "The Exorcist" based on an actual, provable, overseen case of possession actually having many of the symptoms displayed in the book and movie, which was indeed cured by a Catholic exorcist. Cpeter is trying to shock you with "masturbating", when the demon had the girl actually stabbing herself and causing great damage.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#6 May 27, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
Even Blatty said it was masturbating with a crucifix. But spin it however you need to; you always do.
There was nothing saying they were suing within the church; it says they are going to court. The courts do not determine if institutions are living up to canon. The donors gave, knowing full well what the university's policies are; there was no sudden shift in focus or direction. Even within the church, it would have to be a representative of the hierarchy, not just some genuflecters with a beef.
Of course, it could open the floodgates for tons of lawsuits by those the church personnel molested over the decades; wouldn't THAT get costly!
<quoted text>
You don't understand what the movie was about. The movie was about an exorcism , a real one. What the devil does when it possesses a person, of course the devil hates God, and does things vile. Blatty IS suing , so are forty two others. You won't see it in the news for some reason but there are forty two lawsuits that have been filed. You are wrong peter prancer.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 May 27, 2012

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#8 May 27, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>You don't understand what the movie was about. The movie was about an exorcism , a real one. What the devil does when it possesses a person, of course the devil hates God, and does things vile. Blatty IS suing , so are forty two others. You won't see it in the news for some reason but there are forty two lawsuits that have been filed. You are wrong peter prancer.
An exorcism that most likely was preformed by people saw what they wanted to see.

http://www.paranormalhaze.com/based-on-a-true...
Another example of skeptisim when approaching this subject comes from author Mark Opsasnick. In an article for Strange magaizine entitled “The Haunted Boy of Cottage City: The Cold Hard Facts Behind the Story That Inspired The Exorcist.” Opsasnick wrote:

“The facts show that he [Robbie] was a spoiled and disturbed only child with a very overprotective mother and a non-responsive father. To me his behavior was indicative of an outcast youth who desperately wanted out of Bladensburg Junior High School at any cost. He wanted attention and he wanted to leave the area and go to St. Louis. Throwing tantrums was the answer. He began to play his concocted game. For his efforts he got a collection of priests (who had no previous exorcism experience) who doted over him as he lay strapped to a bed. His response was that of any normal child—he reacted with rage, he wanted out. Without delving into the dynamics of psychosomatic illness, there is no question there was something wrong with Rob Doe prior to January 1949, something that modern-era psychiatry might have best addressed. Rob Doe was not just another normal teenage boy.”

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#9 May 27, 2012
Oh and knutter the priest that was said to have preformed the exorcism was not a Georgetown University for an exorcism. As well as many parts of this story that does not match the story given as facts of the case.

http://www.paranormalhaze.com/based-on-a-true...
"Many aspects of this story are disputed among researchers. For example, there is no documentation that shows Father Hughes performed an exorcism on William at Georgetown University Hospital and no medical record that shows Father Hughes had to go to the hospital because of an injury. Also, Rev. Halloran who was present during the last exorcisms says that the supernatural occurrences have been greatly exaggerated by his fellow exorcists. He says that the change in the boy’s voice was not as drastic as let on by many other witnesses. He says that it was possible for the boy to produce the voice on his own. He also says that it was possible that the bloody writing on the boy’s body could have been self-inflicted, as they did not check the child’s fingernails for blood."

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#10 May 27, 2012
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>
An exorcism that most likely was preformed by people saw what they wanted to see.
http://www.paranormalhaze.com/based-on-a-true...
Another example of skeptisim when approaching this subject comes from author Mark Opsasnick. In an article for Strange magaizine entitled “The Haunted Boy of Cottage City: The Cold Hard Facts Behind the Story That Inspired The Exorcist.” Opsasnick wrote:
“The facts show that he [Robbie] was a spoiled and disturbed only child with a very overprotective mother and a non-responsive father. To me his behavior was indicative of an outcast youth who desperately wanted out of Bladensburg Junior High School at any cost. He wanted attention and he wanted to leave the area and go to St. Louis. Throwing tantrums was the answer. He began to play his concocted game. For his efforts he got a collection of priests (who had no previous exorcism experience) who doted over him as he lay strapped to a bed. His response was that of any normal child—he reacted with rage, he wanted out. Without delving into the dynamics of psychosomatic illness, there is no question there was something wrong with Rob Doe prior to January 1949, something that modern-era psychiatry might have best addressed. Rob Doe was not just another normal teenage boy.”
Actually, the book/movie itself is not based on a true story, more inspired by a true story. There is a book about the actual case that inspired the exorcist . I know a priest who did an exorcism, it was over 100 degrees out and all the windows were open, no air conditioning, but the house was below 20 degrees and the possessed walked on the walls and ceiling. There are devil possessions, very rare but it does happen usually its people who dabble in wicca and other pagan religions who invite a spirit into their body either by asking or playing stupid tarot cards or the oijea board. Another thing, read the Excorcist before you complain anymore. Now for the subject of this thread, Mr. Blatty finds that Georgetown is not adhering to what the founding Fathers wanted for the Univ, it is a Catholic Inst. therefore should abide by the Canon law. Mr Blatty is very upset with his Alma Matter he can sue them if he wants to, and he has very good reason to.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#11 May 27, 2012
Of course I know what the movie was about. I also know what scriptwriting is about. The masturbat6ion scene may o may not have been part of the story it was based on, but there is such a thing as editing; the scene exists because they filmed it even though they could have left it out because it exists only for shock value. That means it is something blatty was interested in. As I recall the RCC was up in arms about the whole movie, and especially that scene. But it's cool now, evidently.

Anyone can file a suit, princess popesucker; it doesn't mean they have legal standing.
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>You don't understand what the movie was about. The movie was about an exorcism , a real one. What the devil does when it possesses a person, of course the devil hates God, and does things vile. Blatty IS suing , so are forty two others. You won't see it in the news for some reason but there are forty two lawsuits that have been filed. You are wrong peter prancer.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#12 May 27, 2012
What a whiny little bitch! My catholic college was host to many non-catholics; conservatively, it was 50/50 RCC and others. It didn't try to convert the others; they came for academics, not conversion. That is the primary job of any university. Blatty seems to think it's a private club. Maybe it would be better for all non-catholics (and catholics who disagree with blatty) to leave the school and see how well it survives. Conversely, the university may just tell the RCC to take a hike.

Of course, this is a decidedly RCC-biased interview; it will be interesting to see if the mainstream media gives a damn about it.
pupsilicious wrote:

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#13 May 27, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text> Actually, the book/movie itself is not based on a true story, more inspired by a true story. There is a book about the actual case that inspired the exorcist . I know a priest who did an exorcism, it was over 100 degrees out and all the windows were open, no air conditioning, but the house was below 20 degrees and the possessed walked on the walls and ceiling. There are devil possessions, very rare but it does happen usually its people who dabble in wicca and other pagan religions who invite a spirit into their body either by asking or playing stupid tarot cards or the oijea board. Another thing, read the Excorcist before you complain anymore. Now for the subject of this thread, Mr. Blatty finds that Georgetown is not adhering to what the founding Fathers wanted for the Univ, it is a Catholic Inst. therefore should abide by the Canon law. Mr Blatty is very upset with his Alma Matter he can sue them if he wants to, and he has very good reason to.
(I know a priest who did an exorcism, it was over 100 degrees out and all the windows were open, no air conditioning, but the house was below 20 degrees and the possessed walked on the walls and ceiling."

I am sure that you know that priest.. Riigghhtt

"There are devil possessions, very rare but it does happen usually its people who dabble in wicca and other pagan religions who invite a spirit into their body either by asking or playing stupid tarot cards or the oijea board. Another thing, read the Excorcist before you complain anymore."

Don't care, knutter. Your church lost all credibility some time ago when its started molesting children and the leadership covered and enabled the rapes and molestations to continue for 50 years on at least three continents, in multiple countries.

As for the Robbie story.. I am still of the opinion that the people involved saw what they wanted and acted on that alone.

As Mr. Blatty he does not have any standing as he has no official office nor is part of the hierarchy of the catholic church.

Therefore has no standing in bring this suit.

Though I think it is more to draw attention to his cause than to actually sue. Which he has succeeded. Whether or not the vatican cares at all remains to be seen.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#14 May 28, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
Even Blatty said it was masturbating with a crucifix. But spin it however you need to; you always do.
There was nothing saying they were suing within the church; it says they are going to court. The courts do not determine if institutions are living up to canon. The donors gave, knowing full well what the university's policies are; there was no sudden shift in focus or direction. Even within the church, it would have to be a representative of the hierarchy, not just some genuflecters with a beef.
Of course, it could open the floodgates for tons of lawsuits by those the church personnel molested over the decades; wouldn't THAT get costly!
<quoted text>
This could be an instance for other than you self-exposure of your ignorance and lies. Now, reading your several posts, you obliquely admit your "masturbation" comment indeed had no basis in book, nor any Blatty comment. You also show you don't do the most rudimentary reading before you post your nonsense, as a suit within the Church is what the article implies, other sources confirm and what actually addresses the concerns.

Your own possession is illuminated by the inevitable red herrings you introduce... in this case about molestations which happened in several diocese and which have been addressed legally. The insufficiency of the Church exposing the core reasons for those molestations is applicable, since you raised the issue. Showing the conspiracy of homosexuals to take over seminaries, precluding heterosexuals, then using those seminaries to place homosexual molesters around the country and in places of authority for moving them, when exposed, would have had no relevance to the actual criminal trials. Nonetheless, those conspiracies have been uncovered, showing the perfidy and possession of homosexuals in their assaults on young males and the dedication of those homosexuals to discrediting the Church even to its own parishioners. Thus, once again, you show your demon inspired insistence to irrelevant issues by pointing an inappropriate finger at someone other than yourself, your own maladjustments, your lies and your (and others demon possessed wanting to jump on your erroneous bandwagon) refusal to repent for any of it.

Evil spirits will always expose themselves, when confronted with truth. You have done so, again.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#15 May 28, 2012
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>
(I know a priest who did an exorcism, it was over 100 degrees out and all the windows were open, no air conditioning, but the house was below 20 degrees and the possessed walked on the walls and ceiling."
I am sure that you know that priest.. Riigghhtt
"There are devil possessions, very rare but it does happen usually its people who dabble in wicca and other pagan religions who invite a spirit into their body either by asking or playing stupid tarot cards or the oijea board. Another thing, read the Excorcist before you complain anymore."
Don't care, knutter. Your church lost all credibility some time ago when its started molesting children and the leadership covered and enabled the rapes and molestations to continue for 50 years on at least three continents, in multiple countries.
As for the Robbie story.. I am still of the opinion that the people involved saw what they wanted and acted on that alone.
As Mr. Blatty he does not have any standing as he has no official office nor is part of the hierarchy of the catholic church.
Therefore has no standing in bring this suit.
Though I think it is more to draw attention to his cause than to actually sue. Which he has succeeded. Whether or not the vatican cares at all remains to be seen.
Since major donations from many people were used by secular interests at the University to surreptitiously transfer ownership rights from the Church, there indeed is standing. Since the University repeatedly and blatantly embraces anti-Catholic elements in and without the University, but falsely uses a Catholic appearance to raise more funds to be misused, the many donors have standing.

Apparently, a "wiccan priest" wishes to side with a demonstrable liar once again. The assaults on truth and light from elements of darkness go on and on. This could be personal, or it could be a more troubling conspiracy between wiccans, who steal human body parts for spells, and homosexuals wanting to cover their involvements in intentionally invading seminaries to molest young adults and discredit a Church opposing both their perfidies for centuries quite effectively. In other words, what does a "wiccan priest" find relevant about a Catholic issue, other than a certain dark joy in figuratively chewing on dead baby corpses?

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#16 May 28, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Since major donations from many people were used by secular interests at the University to surreptitiously transfer ownership rights from the Church, there indeed is standing. Since the University repeatedly and blatantly embraces anti-Catholic elements in and without the University, but falsely uses a Catholic appearance to raise more funds to be misused, the many donors have standing.
Apparently, a "wiccan priest" wishes to side with a demonstrable liar once again. The assaults on truth and light from elements of darkness go on and on. This could be personal, or it could be a more troubling conspiracy between wiccans, who steal human body parts for spells, and homosexuals wanting to cover their involvements in intentionally invading seminaries to molest young adults and discredit a Church opposing both their perfidies for centuries quite effectively. In other words, what does a "wiccan priest" find relevant about a Catholic issue, other than a certain dark joy in figuratively chewing on dead baby corpses?
Ans as usual you have no idea of what you are talking about. That pathetically is nothing new coming from you.

By the way catholic boy. It is your religion and church that figuratively is into cannibalism. Well not so figuratively if you are a true catholic and believe the host and wine is the literal blood and body of your dead teacher.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#17 May 28, 2012
I'm possessed? God, what a sad little mind you have.
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
This could be an instance for other than you self-exposure of your ignorance and lies. Now, reading your several posts, you obliquely admit your "masturbation" comment indeed had no basis in book, nor any Blatty comment. You also show you don't do the most rudimentary reading before you post your nonsense, as a suit within the Church is what the article implies, other sources confirm and what actually addresses the concerns.
Your own possession is illuminated by the inevitable red herrings you introduce... in this case about molestations which happened in several diocese and which have been addressed legally. The insufficiency of the Church exposing the core reasons for those molestations is applicable, since you raised the issue. Showing the conspiracy of homosexuals to take over seminaries, precluding heterosexuals, then using those seminaries to place homosexual molesters around the country and in places of authority for moving them, when exposed, would have had no relevance to the actual criminal trials. Nonetheless, those conspiracies have been uncovered, showing the perfidy and possession of homosexuals in their assaults on young males and the dedication of those homosexuals to discrediting the Church even to its own parishioners. Thus, once again, you show your demon inspired insistence to irrelevant issues by pointing an inappropriate finger at someone other than yourself, your own maladjustments, your lies and your (and others demon possessed wanting to jump on your erroneous bandwagon) refusal to repent for any of it.
Evil spirits will always expose themselves, when confronted with truth. You have done so, again.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#18 May 28, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
I'm possessed? God, what a sad little mind you have.
<quoted text>
Actually reading what you post on here and other threads, its likely you are.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#19 May 28, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text> Actually reading what you post on here and other threads, its likely you are.
You are indeed a sad, pathetic, little fool, Knutter.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#20 May 28, 2012
Signs of demonic possession may include:

Speaking in languages the individual has never learned or even heard
Saying things that do not make sense
Physical strength above and beyond what the individual is capable of medically
Loathing the name of God, Jesus, Mary, or the names of any saints or other religious individuals
Pain or physical discomfort when Scripture or prayers are read or the sacraments performed
http://suite101.com/article/signs-of-demonic-...

Nope; none of those apply. There are certain situations in which I have said "oh god" quite loudly, in fact.

Read more at Suite101: Signs of Demonic Possession: Catholic Church’s Teaching on How to Identify the Devil’s Influence | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/signs-of-demonic-...
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text> Actually reading what you post on here and other threads, its likely you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ian Tuttle: Diagnosing Conservatism as a Mental... Nov 25 Giuliani the Frau... 1
Investigative journalist Jose Antonio Vargas to... Nov '14 STOMP AN ILLEGAL ... 1
Obama: Global Warming Threatens 'Hopes and Drea... Nov '14 Earthling-1 4
The Islamic State gets the political treatment ... Oct '14 WasteWater 12
Susan Rice goes to China in bid to salvage rela... Sep '14 RayHCpp 1
Conflicts Engulf Christians in Mideast Aug '14 jinxi 1
Sex education should start sooner, study finds Aug '14 bugsy goldstein 4
More from around the web