Obama rallies support for final health care votes

With the long awaited health care vote scheduled for this weekend, President Obama made a final pitch to pass the reform bill at George Mason University in Virginia. Full Story
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Mar 19, 2010
Attention TEA Party patriots:

http://biggovernment.com/capitolconfidential/...

The Heat is On: Congressmanís Office Says Constituent Calls Are ĎHarassmentí

Yesterday, I decided to call Rep. John Garamendiís (CA-10) office in Washington, D.C. Heís my representative and I wanted to voice my opposition to the Senate Health Care Bill. I spoke with a female staffer and politely told her that, while I support health care reform, I oppose the Senate Bill because it wasnít true ďreform.Ē She said the Congressman thinks itís a good bill and that he campaigned on health care reform. I told her I knew that. I also mentioned that I voted for him. When I tried to give her specific reasons why the Senate Bill would harm our system rather than reform it, she refused to listen. She said she was very busy and hung up on me. Being the persistent person that I am, I kept calling back. Each time I tried to finish my point, she hung up.

--------

Please read the article.

Rep. John Garamendiís (CA-10) needs to be thrown out of office.

Pass the word.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#2 Mar 19, 2010
another final health care pitch...

until, the NEXT final health care pitch, and the next, and the next...
and finally, the inevitable ...
oops, we miscalculated, your taxes are going up, up and up...
along with the costs of the lousy health care we dumped on your dumb asses!!!
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#3 Mar 19, 2010
I'm a little rusty on my high school civics lessons, but is it PROPER for the Executive Branch (Obama) to be giving undo INFLUENCE to the Legislative Branch (Congress)?

Isn't it contrary to "separation of powers" for one branch of government to RALLY another branch in order to influence a vote? Any thoughts??
Apollonius

Tarentum, PA

#4 Mar 19, 2010
The bill will pass. The world will not end. The health care situation will improve a little.

All the teabaggers will be exposed as idiots.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 Mar 19, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
The bill will pass. The world will not end. The health care situation will improve a little.
All the teabaggers will be exposed as idiots.
the bill will pass, the world will not end, and come november, there won't be a democrat left in washington.
YeahRight

Anderson, IN

#6 Mar 20, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
The bill will pass. The world will not end. The health care situation will improve a little.
All the teabaggers will be exposed as idiots.
It will pass, it will cost a fortune and healthcare won't get any better at all. Look at Canada, England et al. Look even closer at Massachusetts. Look at the tax rates in the places that have universal healthcare. I for one am tired of paying for other people to get a free ride.

The world won't end because of healthcare but man caused global warming will right?

You do realize there are "teabaggers" on both sides of the aisle don't you?
Apollonius

Tarentum, PA

#7 Mar 20, 2010
YeahRight wrote:
<quoted text>
It will pass, it will cost a fortune and healthcare won't get any better at all. Look at Canada, England et al. Look even closer at Massachusetts. Look at the tax rates in the places that have universal healthcare. I for one am tired of paying for other people to get a free ride.
The world won't end because of healthcare but man caused global warming will right?
You do realize there are "teabaggers" on both sides of the aisle don't you?
US health care costs are twice what they are in Canada or England, and they both cover everyone and have better results.

If you pay for insurance, or your employer does, you don't see it in the tax column, but the price is already double what it needs to be. The additional costs has to cover 40M+ uninsured who just go to emergency rooms and don't/can't pay the bill. You are already either paying for slackers, or your are one yourself.
YeahRight

Anderson, IN

#8 Mar 20, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
<quoted text>
US health care costs are twice what they are in Canada or England, and they both cover everyone and have better results.
If you pay for insurance, or your employer does, you don't see it in the tax column, but the price is already double what it needs to be. The additional costs has to cover 40M+ uninsured who just go to emergency rooms and don't/can't pay the bill. You are already either paying for slackers, or your are one yourself.
I am in fact paying for the deadbeats. Both in my health insurance premiums and taxes. Our costs are so high because of the entitlements this country passes out like candy. Why do canadians come here for care? Recently one of canada's premiers came here for cardiac care. Why are the wait times so long? I have a niece that works as a nurse in Banff. She says all the stories we hear are true about the goat rope going on there.
Our costs would go down drastically if hospitals could simply say NO to a person coming to an ER for a cold or a booboo. Companies having to copmpete with out of state companies would reduce costs. There are many things that can be done that hasn't. Neither party is immune from having a finger pointed at them.
A Nnoyed

Seaford, NY

#9 Mar 20, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
<quoted text>
US health care costs are twice what they are in Canada or England, and they both cover everyone and have better results.
LOL

You've never actually lived in England have you?

Go ask a British expat who's used both systems where they'd rather receive their care. Or you can ask me.

Even the most die hard, stiff upper lip Brit will start chanting U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A.

You have no idea what you're talking about and using dodgy stats that you don't fully understand is doing you no favours.
Apollonius

United States

#10 Mar 20, 2010
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You've never actually lived in England have you?
Go ask a British expat who's used both systems where they'd rather receive their care. Or you can ask me.
Even the most die hard, stiff upper lip Brit will start chanting U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A.
You have no idea what you're talking about and using dodgy stats that you don't fully understand is doing you no favours.
That's bull. Brits would never trade their health care system for a cluster f**k like ours. I know quite a few of them. Same for Canadians. Get your facts straight dummy.

“Lost in these dreams”

Since: Jun 08

Finding all the missing pieces

#13 Mar 20, 2010
Everyone admits and knows that our healthcare needs to be improved and we do need a healthcare reform. But this bill is definitely not it. And why are the democrats so hard pushed to get this bill passed? Why can't they stop for a moment and review what they're doing and get it done right? Do they feel pressure like they're running out of time to get this "legacy" passed? You better believe it.

It's not about us, it's about them. And if the allegations are true about the previous no votes that has suddenly changed their minds after a private talk with the President, then that has to be if not unconstitutional, then unethical. We trust these people to speak for us, but at then end of the day money in their pockets win and their best interests are first.

I do hope the American people stay strong and don't soften up to the wrongdoers come November. Even if it could be too late, they'll still need to be held acountable for their actions. It seems either way you turn no one is looking out for you.
Larry

Ashburn, VA

#14 Mar 20, 2010
Impromptu wrote:
Everyone admits and knows that our healthcare needs to be improved and we do need a healthcare reform. But this bill is definitely not it. And why are the democrats so hard pushed to get this bill passed? Why can't they stop for a moment and review what they're doing and get it done right? Do they feel pressure like they're running out of time to get this "legacy" passed? You better believe it..
The abortion loophole is a big reason. It opens the door for them.
Impromptu wrote:
It's not about us, it's about them. And if the allegations are true about the previous no votes that has suddenly changed their minds after a private talk with the President, then that has to be if not unconstitutional, then unethical. We trust these people to speak for us, but at then end of the day money in their pockets win and their best interests are first.
Unfortunately there is nothing illegal about it. Immoral yes, but not illegal. Other Presients on both sides have swung last minute deals to get what they want.
Impromptu wrote:
I do hope the American people stay strong and don't soften up to the wrongdoers come November. Even if it could be too late, they'll still need to be held acountable for their actions. It seems either way you turn no one is looking out for you.
Americans have short memories. The vote will swing in the direction the media takes it.
A Nnoyed

Seaford, NY

#15 Mar 20, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
<quoted text>
That's bull. Brits would never trade their health care system for a cluster f**k like ours. I know quite a few of them. Same for Canadians. Get your facts straight dummy.
System no, they're into the fairness thing.

For themselves? Now you're being the dummy. For anyone who has lived in both countries for extended periods of time, the US care would be picked in numbers approaching 100%.

I lived over there for nearly a decade and my wife's English. Everyone knows the NHS is horrendous. Fair? definitely. Everyone gets mediocre but well meaning care.

Claiming otherwise is either lying or a sick joke. The US beats their care every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

“Lost in these dreams”

Since: Jun 08

Finding all the missing pieces

#16 Mar 20, 2010
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
The abortion loophole is a big reason. It opens the door for them.
<quoted text>
Unfortunately there is nothing illegal about it. Immoral yes, but not illegal. Other Presients on both sides have swung last minute deals to get what they want.
<quoted text>
Americans have short memories. The vote will swing in the direction the media takes it.
Thanks. It's disturbing at best. I know about the swing votes, but what if some of those votes were really paid off?

I agree. The media is influential and whatever the mood is will be how it goes. Perhaps we can at least look for a little damage control though. Sadly it's like a sheep game. You just follow along and don't think or evaluate for yourself.

There shouldn't be a no vote just for fear of losing your job, and I don't think there should be a yes vote just out of persuasion. They should do their job and follow what's right. It's amazing how hard it is for our Congress, on both sides to be "right."
Apollonius

United States

#18 Mar 20, 2010
A Nnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
System no, they're into the fairness thing.
For themselves? Now you're being the dummy. For anyone who has lived in both countries for extended periods of time, the US care would be picked in numbers approaching 100%.
I lived over there for nearly a decade and my wife's English. Everyone knows the NHS is horrendous. Fair? definitely. Everyone gets mediocre but well meaning care.
Claiming otherwise is either lying or a sick joke. The US beats their care every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Liar
YeahRight

Anderson, IN

#19 Mar 21, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar
How often and how many US citizens travel to Canada or England for healthcare?
A Nnoyed

Seaford, NY

#20 Mar 21, 2010
Apollonius wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar
you know i'm not

you just hate that there are real people who can crap on your incorrect theories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Mason University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GMU Business Dean Speaks at Sterling Women Mana... 9 hr SharonCcolwell 1
Studies seek to answer if the arts can help the... Jan 19 lizzybowen 2
The Church (Jun '14) Jan 5 theother twin 30
Remembering Sadie Cantone Pounder: 'a giant for... Nov '14 Pink Eye 1
Some US colleges calling students back from Israel Aug '14 ACME Rock Sales 2
Kent State professor accuses academics working ... Aug '14 Andy Sipowicz 5
Employers Added 217,000 Jobs in May, Exceeding ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Solarman 2
More from around the web